Herald traits (changes/pve only) for Condition Builds - Suggestion

SeTect.5918

Hey all!
(all suggestions in this discussion is for pve only)

I am not happy with the traits of Herald in pve because most of them are pretty....useless for condition builds. And all traits that increase damage are just for direct damage.

Condition Renegade is by far better in case of condition damage and even in open world most people play renegade because it also has a great life siphon skill as elite skill.
In fractals i never saw a condition Herald and when i played it once there, people asked why i play it because renegade is so much better. Even if i had more dps than them.

Also in WvW (even if this discussion is just about pve) Condition Herald is worse then Condition Renegade because u have no chance against for example condi thieves because u have no range weapon and u cant change positions fast enough bc they just pop out every 2 sec on a totally different place.

But lets stay in PvE: I obv also dont want Herald to be too op, just to make it a bit better in case of damage and maybe a bit worse in case of hp.
So here are my suggestions:

Reinforced Potency: Currently increases your concentration by 120 and increases strike damage by 1% per boon. - This trait also affects Condition damage now (PvE only) This gives Condition Herald a dps increase of like 5-7% in open world and around 9% in fractals.

Reinforced Potency: also affects life siphon now.

Elevated Compassion: This trait currently heals allies by 389 when you apply a boon on them. It has a multiplier of 0.175. Since it is a healer/support elite spec, it is really too low. I agree with the base heal but not with the multiplier. With 1500 healing power it is still just 651.5 which is really low. I suggest to increase the multiplier from 0.175 to 0.45. This seems a really big increase but it will actually be worth to use now. With 1500 healing power you will heal 1064 instead of 651.5 now.

(I got this idea because all other torment classes (Condition Thief [current best benchmark], Condition mirage with staff and condition scourge) got a buff on may 11 update and Condi Herald got nerfed more then renegade because of the change of torment on mace, axe and demon even if the plan was to not nerf Herald, it was not even mentioned: "Renegade condition builds will be positively impacted by the general change to torment in this patch. While they will be finding that they maintain and even improve their already strong performance, we are preemptively making slight decreases to the duration of applied torment from several skills, as condition Renegade builds were already one of the most potent condition damage builds.")

This changes dont make a lot difference but can make Condition Heralds better as damage dealer in fractals and other PvE content. Please write down your opinion to this and have a nice day!

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Draconic Fortitude: Currently increases your health by 10%. - This could be reduced by 5% which still gives u 700+ hp if you dont have any vitality equipment. Due to this change it could do one other thing: You have a chance of 33% to inflict bleeding for 1 second on a hit (neednt to be critical) because burn would be too overpowered even if its the legendary dragon. (PvE only)

Reinforced Potency: Currently increases your concentration by 120 and increases strike damage by 1% per boon. - This trait also affects Condition damage now (PvE only) This gives Condition Herald a dps increase of like 5-7% in open world and around 9% in fractals.

I agree with the thing that condi herald does a bit low damage.  Since it heavily relies on torment, in real pve or wvw fight ,where enemies move a lot (like all do) ,it comes short. 

And since a condi herald cant provide Facet of Nature-Shiro, it kinda needs to make up for that Damage-loss.

But i kinda cant become friends with those suggestions. The Draconic Fortitude- Change would be a way a sustain loss for a little bit more condi damage. The damage of condi heralds are bound to 2 condis, burn and torment, (like guard with Bleed&Burn)

And the  Reinforced Potency trait is something, that every class has. A change to that would other classes want the same. 

I would prefer more something like "Forceful Persistence" giving more condi damage based on the upkeeps, like it does now with Power. 

I also have to say ,that imo not the traits are the real problem, but the skills are. Being in Glint-Stance offers almost no conditions, so it relies on weapon skills completely. It would be better if they buff the condition side of the skills like "Burst of Strength gives burning per strike"

Edited by Virdo.1540
  • Like 2

I think it would be nice for Reinforced Potency and/or Forceful Persistence (especially FP) to affect condition damage as well. Now that Condi Rev is brought down a lot in its potency it leaves more room for this sort of thing to happen in PvP/WvW. 

Burst of Strength is definitely a very inflexible and rather boring skill. Would love it if they put a little more creativity/flavor behind it and changed the effects based upon the *secondary* legend to be something like:

* Shiro: current effects 

* Jalis: Grants barrier to allies per strike and decreases incoming damage on self  for X seconds 

* Mallyx: Bleeds foes on first strike, burns foes on second strike, and increases outgoing condition damage on self for X seconds 

* Ventari: Heals allies per strike and increases outgoing healing on self for X seconds

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lodjur.1284 said:

Core and Renegade already do condi completely fine. Herald is clearly not condi focused

Yes, Herald is support focused. 

So why not let a supportive herald have the same damage in Power & Damage, so its support can be used everywhere... not that it does a lot in condi dmg, power dmg or support....

Edited by Virdo.1540
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Virdo.1540 said:

Yes, Herald is support focused. 

So why not let a supportive herald have the same damage in Power & Damage, so its support can be used everywhere... not that it does a lot in condi dmg, power dmg or support....

Herald lacks identity and focus. Diluting it further isn't exactly a solution. 

Noone seems to know what herald is actually supposed to be and not in the "it can fill many roles but has a clear identity way" but in the "these traits/ skills feel completely random way".

• Confused 2

On 5/19/2021 at 12:27 AM, SeTect.5918 said:

This changes dont make a lot difference but can make Condition Heralds better as damage dealer in fractals and other PvE content. Please write down your opinion to this and have a nice day!

Is it really a problem if a spec can't do all roles solidly well? Herald can already provide really good support and DPS.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I guess I could see herald getting a trait rework for burning based on the theme of dragon fire. As it currently stands the specialization provides a mix of power dps, boon support and durability skills/traits. It ultimately doesn't have elements that would contribute to a max damage condi build hence why it's used as a defensive line when condi revs do use it.

• Like 2

Revenant already has more viable condi builds than power though.

If anything only do this, it's fair enough:

1 hour ago, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Reinforced Potency and Forceful Persistence should absolutely affect condi damage as well. There’s no reason not to...Condi Herald has a....very low benchmark.  I’ve tested it extensively and it’s just not great

Include Life Steal on that.

Don't make Power Herald any worse than it already is (it's not actually bad, explanation at the end) and suddenly change a trait to inflict condition damage whenever x, specially if its a Minor trait. At worst only the Major Master traits (second column) and the healing traits feel somewhat lackluster, the rest are good, at much just increase some percentages.
No need for mechanical changes, UNLESS we can get more traits that interact with the energy system.
For instance, Rising Momentum is actually incredibly helpful and even changes the way you play, unlike many other traits in this game that give free stats, healing, condi cleanse, boons, barrier on any action you would normally already do all the time. Same goes for auto proc traits whenever you fall below a health threshold.

By the way, they never splits mechanics, only numbers. Your new Draconic Fortitude does nothing but lower the Vitality bonus for Power Herald.

The problem still lies in the fact that many other specs are still very overtuned. Herald has been very useful and fun ever since its rework on August 2018.

All that goes for both PvE and PvP.

Edited by XxsdgxX.8109
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Reinforced Potency and Forceful Persistence should absolutely affect condi damage as well. There’s no reason not to...Condi Herald has a....very low benchmark.  I’ve tested it extensively and it’s just not great

Herald has been a plague on WvW since it's release. Condi Herald is still somewhat of an issue due to the strange transfer and random full heal+3 sec invuln they get. Giving them more damage on the transfer would encourage them again. 

This is not really a change that could be split. Ask for changes that can realistically be split. Or just play Renegade or core that make sense as condi. 

Even Core would definitively benchmark notably higher than Herald. (But obvs less than renegade)

Edited by lodjur.1284
  • Confused 4

A power herald (including Shiro Facet of Nature) comes to about ~32-33k theoretical Squad damage. 

Condi Herald right now comes to ~29-30k dps on the golem, while it will be worse than on the golem due to movement.

Even if it would bench the same as power herald, it would still be worse due to unreliable torment damage.

Note that this is a "pve only" trait, even though condi herald is pretty much... dead right now in WvW.  The sustain from condi herald was only coming from tormenting rune, but with that rune the damage will be quite a bit lower than the "30k" from above. Battle scars cant really be utilized there.

An extra "Condi trait" , instead of the the old "Shining Aspects"(which always gets outshined by Hardening persistence anyway) wouldnt be out of place here. Its not bad if a herald can still do its support/mix stuff on bosses, where only condi classes will be taken (this is still a kinda toxic community)

Edited by Virdo.1540
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Virdo.1540 said:

A power herald (including Shiro Facet of Nature) comes to about ~32-33k theoretical Squad damage. 

Condi Herald right now comes to ~29-30k dps on the golem, while it will be worse than on the golem due to movement.

Even if it would bench the same as power herald, it would still be worse due to unreliable torment damage.

I don't see a problem here.

Note that this is a "pve only" trait, even though condi herald is pretty much... dead right now in WvW.  The sustain from condi herald was only coming from tormenting rune, but with that rune the damage will be quite a bit lower than the "30k" from above. Battle scars cant really be utilized there.

Not dead enough. Also you're misinformed. Torment Runes have nothing to do with it. Either way it's irrelevant why, your proposed functional changes would affect WvW (and sPvP).

Functional changes affect all gamemodes. Such as adding % condi dmg/boon. 

If you wanted to make condi herald viable in WvW it would b e need to be along the lines of Elemental Blast now does 12 burning PvE only. Just a numbers change, not a functional one.

An extra "Condi trait" , instead of the the old "Shining Aspects"(which always gets outshined by Hardening persistence anyway) wouldnt be out of place here. Its not bad if a herald can still do its support/mix stuff on bosses, where only condi classes will be taken (this is still a kinda toxic community)

What about current Herald makes you think they want it to be good at condi? The fact that all the modifiers both from the traitline and from the dragon skills themselves only affect power damage? The fact that not a single trait in herald mentions conditions (outside of clearing them)?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, lodjur.1284 said:

Herald has been a plague on WvW since it's release. Condi Herald is still somewhat of an issue due to the strange transfer and random full heal+3 sec invuln they get. Giving them more damage on the transfer would encourage them again. 

This is not really a change that could be split. Ask for changes that can realistically be split. Or just play Renegade or core that make sense as condi. 

Even Core would definitively benchmark notably higher than Herald. (But obvs less than renegade)

There is no issue here; This can be realistically split. There’s no reason it has to be listed, for example, as “+1/2% all damage per boon” but could instead be listed as “+1/2 strike damage, +1/2 Condi damage.”  This formulation easily allows for a PvP/WvW split. There are similar splits of stats in the game already (I.e Kalla’s fervor).  Let’s not try make excuses for Anet to not do something simply because of a lack of creativity in how to accomplish it. 

also after the nerfs Condi herald is more than fine in WvW. Some measly extra damage (after getting their damage gutted) absolutely is not going to break the class

i will stand by these statements and I’m not open to changing my opinion on them 

Edited by LucianTheAngelic.7054
  • Like 1

Just now, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

There is no issue here; This can be realistically split. There’s no reason it has to be listed, for example, as “+1/2% all damage per boon” but could instead be listed as “+1/2 strike damage, +1/2 Condi damage.”  There are similar splits in the game already (I.e Kalla’s fervor).  Let’s not try make excuses for Anet to not do something simply because of a lack of creativity in how to accomplish it. 

Kalla's Fervor does all of it in all gamemodes.

Technically 0 is a value. But Anet has so far avoided doing that. I doubt they'd start now.

Especially when nothing indicates they want Condi Herald to actually be a thing.

also after the nerfs Condi herald is more than fine in WvW. Some measly extra damage (after getting their damage gutted) absolutely is not going to break the class

Condi Herald will be fine when True Nature - Demon is deleted from the game, preferably the dragon heal too.

i will stand by these statements and I’m not open to changing my opinion on them 

A healthy place to debate from.

Why should Condi Herald be good in PvE? It's some kinda defensive-y, support-ish, power-y spec with 0 identity, except for the fact that it's never given anything relevant to doing condi damage.

• Confused 4

5 minutes ago, lodjur.1284 said:

Functional changes affect all gamemodes. Such as adding % condi dmg/boon. 

There can still be a new trait that is much weaker in pvp/wvw than in pve, thus will never be taken (there are many like that).

And to an earlier "There are many condi herald builds", those are only tanky low damage builds, which mostly utilized Tormenting Rune for healing and Resistance (in WvW etc). But being tanky isnt important in PvE Gamemodes.

And even with an new condi trait or skill changes, condi herald wont be "good". Neither is power herald.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lodjur.1284 said:

Condi Herald will be fine when True Nature - Demon is deleted from the game, preferably the dragon heal too.

True Nature - Demon is bound to Facet of Nature, which is now a pure suicide button in WvW/PvP fights with allies. so is the Demon stunbreak. 

The Heal is easy to bypass with having a herald get almost no healing out of it. It only is "good" in fights with unexperienced players.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Virdo.1540 said:

There can still be a new trait that is much weaker in pvp/wvw than in pve, thus will never be taken (there are many like that).

Yet all of these trait's that have been suggested were either functional changes that were just added ontop of what herald already has, or replacing useless traits with something like "when you inflict x condi, also inflict y condi" which are generally very strong in WvW.

And to an earlier "There are many condi herald builds", those are only tanky low damage builds, which mostly utilized Tormenting Rune for healing and Resistance (in WvW etc). But being tanky isnt important in PvE Gamemodes.

You clearly don't play WvW then, but do think of how functional changes affect other game modes.

More likely, you're using this thread to try to push WvW buffs for herald as you're sad about the resistance changes.

And even with an new condi trait or skill changes, condi herald wont be "good". Neither is power herald.

Certainly depends on how good the trait is, no? The only way to realistically make condi herald good in PvE is to buff elemental blast absurdly there (12 burning for example), that would affect no other gamemodes.

3 minutes ago, Virdo.1540 said:

True Nature - Demon is bound to Facet of Nature, which is now a pure suicide button in WvW/PvP fights with allies. so is the Demon stunbreak. 

No. See above.

The Heal is easy to bypass with having a herald get almost no healing out of it. It only is "good" in fights with unexperienced players.

Ah yes, I will just make my condis stop ticking and stop using any AoEs on the 10 players around the herald for 10 seconds because it pressed 1 button. What a realistic solution.

Edited by lodjur.1284
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, lodjur.1284 said:

Yet all of these trait's that have been suggested were either functional changes that were just added ontop of what herald already has, or replacing useless traits with something like "when you inflict x condi, also inflict y condi" which are generally very strong in WvW.

Yet ,a condi herald isnt that good damage wise. It wasnt before the patch. Tanky Traits will always be fervored.

You clearly don't play WvW then, but do think of how functional changes affect other game modes.

More likely, you're using this thread to try to push WvW buffs for herald as you're sad about the resistance changes.

Doesnt matter how much you would buff a condi herald, it is dead after fully relying on Resistance & Rune for sustain. (Core necro is the new condi herald)

Ah yes, I will just make my condis stop ticking and stop using any AoEs on the 10 players around the herald for 10 seconds because it pressed 1 button. What a realistic solution.

If fighting against condi classes, the conditions wont be doing full heal for the herald then anyway. Also their cleanses, transfers, Resolution and Enemies poison lower that healing too, no?

It depends on the Changes that would be made. If a trait exists "On use of Active Facet, your next hit will give 1stack of burning" , that as example would already be way worse in wvw/pvp due to way longer cooldowns.

Edited by Virdo.1540
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Virdo.1540 said:

Yet ,a condi herald isnt that good damage wise. It wasnt before the patch. Tanky Traits will always be fervored.

Ye, right, condi herald was never used in smallscale before the patch. Okay then.

Doesnt matter how much you would buff a condi herald, it is dead after fully relying on Resistance & Rune for sustain. (Core necro is the new condi herald)

Resistance change fixed a lot of problems with it yes. It should be deader tho.

If fighting against condi classes, the conditions wont be doing full heal for the herald then anyway. Also their cleanses, transfers, Resolution and Enemies poison lower that healing too, no?

Just no, please stop. 

Like I would love to actually argue about this, but when you come from a place so disconnected from reality, there's no point.

• Confused 3

31 minutes ago, lodjur.1284 said:

Ye, right, condi herald was never used in smallscale before the patch. Okay then.

It was. But not because it did "insane damage", most because it was very beefy.

31 minutes ago, lodjur.1284 said:

but when you come from a place so disconnected from reality, there's no point.

no need to get off topic.

Condi Heralds damage in wvw/pvp was almost halved, its sutain gutted a lot. 

A tiny buff for condi heralds wont be hurting anyone. Anet wants build diversity, so they can make Condi herald do the same amount as the already low-dmg power herald.

Edited by Virdo.1540
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, lodjur.1284 said:

Kalla's Fervor does all of it in all gamemodes.

Kalla’s fervor is the perfect example because it CAN be split, not because it is currently split. Again, be creative with solutions and it’s easy to find ways to do things that wouldn’t break game modes.  If it’s truly breaking WvW (omegalul, such a loaded concept in and of itself) then the Condi damage %s could be reduced down or other aspects could be reduced in WvW.  I can tell you right now adding some extra damage back to Herald would certainly not break it. 

37 minutes ago, lodjur.1284 said:

Especially when nothing indicates they want Condi Herald to actually be a thing.

That’s a baseless statement not supported by any sort of evidence.  The only legends that have offensive condis on skills and traits are Mallyx/Glint/Kalla. The other 3 don’t. Glint has more support for offensive Condi application than Core. 

40 minutes ago, lodjur.1284 said:

A healthy place to debate from.

I know myself and am honest that these opinions of mine won’t change.  We have very different views on balance in GW2. You’ve made it very clear throughout your comments on many posts that you want certain builds and play-styles to be completely gutted.  I can’t agree with that type of mentality as I enjoy having diversity within a variety of specs. Tearing builds completely apart and changing their identity completely is not the type of balancing that I want in the game as it doesn’t promote that type of diversity that I’m speaking of.  Unfortunately, the types of outright removals suggested, such as the two proposed above, go directly against what I want for the game. So yes, I do argue from that standpoint of not changing my opinion on this, because I truly believe that the outright removal and destruction of builds is the wrong way to balance the game. This is also why it’s likely unhealthy for us to continue to have a back and forth as neither of us will end up convincing each other and it’s mostly wasted energy. I generally respond not to convince you, but to explain and strengthen my positions for others that might be reading and may still be undecided.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Virdo.1540 said:

It was. But not because it did "insane damage", most because it was very beefy.

It was used for the transfer. 

3 hours ago, Virdo.1540 said:

no need to get off topic.

Condi Heralds damage in wvw/pvp was almost halved, its sutain gutted a lot. 

A tiny buff for condi heralds wont be hurting anyone. Anet wants build diversity, so they can make Condi herald do the same amount as the already low-dmg power herald.

Almost halved is ludicrous. 

Maybe if all you do is transfer. 

If you use all your skills torment is around 50% of your damage. Even if enemies were moving 100% of the time,  that's a 25% nerf not 50%. In realistic fights probably not more than 10%. If all you do is transfer then probably about 40% damage nerf.

2 hours ago, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Kalla’s fervor is the perfect example because it CAN be split, not because it is currently split. Again, be creative with solutions and it’s easy to find ways to do things that wouldn’t break game modes.  If it’s truly breaking WvW (omegalul, such a loaded concept in and of itself) then the Condi damage %s could be reduced down or other aspects could be reduced in WvW.  I can tell you right now adding some extra damage back to Herald would certainly not break it. 

Yet they haven't done it. They go out of their way to make traits function the same (but with different power levels) in all gamemodes.

Herald deserves no buffs in WvW

That’s a baseless statement not supported by any sort of evidence.  The only legends that have offensive condis on skills and traits are Mallyx/Glint/Kalla. The other 3 don’t. Glint has more support for offensive Condi application than Core. 

25 extra energy in demon and a 10% more condi mod or 3 burning. Go beat up the dummy and see what gives you more dps. (It's core) I mean I'd imagine even if you used 0 legend skills from your 2nd legend you'd still do more on core. 

I know myself and am honest that these opinions of mine won’t change.  We have very different views on balance in GW2. You’ve made it very clear throughout your comments on many posts that you want certain builds and play-styles to be completely gutted.  I can’t agree with that type of mentality as I enjoy having diversity within a variety of specs. Tearing builds completely apart and changing their identity completely is not the type of balancing that I want in the game as it doesn’t promote that type of diversity that I’m speaking of.

Tell me what is Heralds identity. 

I think certain playstyles have no place. 

Let me make some rhetorical examples you'd agree with.

Imagine a spec that would make your opponent's lag.  That's the entire point of it. Is that a healthy spec?

Imagine a spec that 1 shots warriors, but does 0 damage to everything else and brings nothing else to the table. Should that playstyle exist?

Pure transfer is on that level of bad. 

It's easy to imagine playstyles that could exist but shouldn't. Certainly the same logic can be applied to some that do. 

Some playstyles are essentially just there to troll.

Unfortunately, the types of outright removals suggested, such as the two proposed above, go directly against what I want for the game. So yes, I do argue from that standpoint of not changing my opinion on this, because I truly believe that the outright removal and destruction of builds is the wrong way to balance the game.

Every (big) balance patch kills and creates playstyles. 

This is also why it’s likely unhealthy for us to continue to have a back and forth as neither of us will end up convincing each other and it’s mostly wasted energy. I generally respond not to convince you, but to explain and strengthen my positions for others that might be reading and may still be undecided.  

So you're grandstanding. Cool.

Unhealthy for you maybe. 

I still don't quite get why people want condi Herald to be a thing in PvE.

Do they wanna play core with a dragon icon instead of an eye, cause that's pretty much the difference there. Unless they really need to be carried by infuse light I guess?

• Confused 5

10 hours ago, lodjur.1284 said:

Imagine a spec that would make your opponent's lag.  That's the entire point of it. Is that a healthy spec?

Imagine a spec that 1 shots warriors, but does 0 damage to everything else and brings nothing else to the table. Should that playstyle exist?

Pure transfer is on that level of bad. 

Those are absolutely outrageous strawman arguments that don’t even come close to reflecting the reality of pre-patch (and especially post patch) WvW cHerald. Those strawmans alone make me not want to engage further in this dialogue as I’ve already made my positions extremely clear

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Those are absolutely outrageous strawman arguments that don’t even come close to reflecting the reality of pre-patch (and especially post patch) WvW cHerald. Those strawmans alone make me not want to engage further in this dialogue as I’ve already made my positions extremely clear

Nope. 

You legit argued there's no such thing as a playstyle that shouldn't exist. Strawman is a bit different. 

12 hours ago, lodjur.1284 said:

You’ve made it very clear throughout your comments on many posts that you want certain builds and play-styles to be completely gutted.  I can’t agree with that type of mentality as I enjoy having diversity within a variety of specs. Tearing builds completely apart and changing their identity completely is not the type of balancing that I want in the game as it doesn’t promote that type of diversity that I’m speaking of.

• Confused 3