" Banned due to joking comments to guild members in world versus world?"

Recently I found out that a guild member of mine has been banned by sparkle heart  for making a joking comment towards another guild member while in world versus world which both the guild members joked in the similar way for years. which the comment had joked about defeating another person outside of game. meanwhile the conversation took place in world versus world which you are not exactly laying people on the ground.  my guild member who has played guildwars 2 since its very release to this day and paid for both expansions and was looking forward to the new expansion. going on 8 years worth of game play and banned for joking around with a guild member seems quite kitten does it not? The guild member of mine is on hod last I knew hod does not have a single anet employee in world versus world and why would they be banned for such a miniscule comment? one would figure focus would be better placed elsewhere, I can understand somethings being worth the time and being worth being banned, but this occurrence is kitten and hurts the promise of end of dragons in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The guild member is from a older generation, plus i've known them for years ever since the start of guild wars 2. They may of not realized their comment had affected others the way it had and had aimed for it jokingly only to their friend and could of meant it to only be in a whisper. Considering both of the members would joke towards each other in wvw to keep the chat  active as servers get less and less activity in world versus world as guilds move and transfer. plus with limited changes to world versus world except for rebalancing here and there ,many are left to try to come up with ways to make it more fun on their own. In which they try to stir up map chat and get others talking even if not many are online at the time. Even so would a warning to them at first about their behavior or a temporary ban be more of a option? And if another instance occurs then bring the hammer down. If not, everyone that makes  inappropriate comments can just make a free to play account at any time and they could give unlimited rule breaking behaviors  with no limits and behaviors will continue to ensue regardless. 

18 minutes ago, prototypedragon.1406 said:

I can understand their comment causing more issues perhaps in other areas of gameplay but in world versus world isn't the whole idea of defeating people along with sieges and defense?

Which is very different from:

2 hours ago, prototypedragon.1406 said:

comment had joked about defeating another person outside of game

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

Jokes impact everyone and even if they were not the intended target. One should always take care to be considerate about others when making jokes that have the potential to offend.  Death threat (“defeating”) jokes are inappropriate. 

Offence is something taken not given, inappropriate/in bad taste or not I have to disagree with you on this.
If you get offended by something someone else says then the appropriate action is to ignore that player, put them on your block list so you don't have to see their jokes anymore.
Problem solved.

Banning people over jokes under all circumstances is a terrible thing.
It's discrimination against people for their sense of humour.. which is something that they have utterly no control over.
More so many people even explicitly use humour as a coping mechanism to help them deal with trauma and problems in their lives.
Denying them that freedom can even be detrimental to their mental well being.

If you don't like something or something offends you, just avoid it.. it really is that simple the vast majority of the time and that's literally what block functions are intended for.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

To be honest I've seen this happen so many times over the course of both games and its just a bot with a pre-determined list of keywords and phrases that may offend someone.  So its not generated by a player and I got some responses from those names to about another issue but the bots are used to screen requests so only things like gold and gem based support inquiries are going to get sent to an actual person for support.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, prototypedragon.1406 said:

"Joked" - not intentional

Every word said is intentional. You have to type it out. There are NO unintentional jokes.

joke /jōknoun

a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

I think you may have mistaken an insult as a joke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Klypto.1703 said:

To be honest I've seen this happen so many times over the course of both games and its just a bot with a pre-determined list of keywords and phrases that may offend someone.  So its not generated by a player and I got some responses from those names to about another issue but the bots are used to screen requests so only things like gold and gem based support inquiries are going to get sent to an actual person for support.

According to Anet they don't have banbots, and they don't actively monitor chat. They have stated this many many times.

Any ban caused by chat starts with a player (or more) reporting it. It's then reviewed by a person before any ban happens. So in effect at least two people thought the comment worthy of a ban.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Zohane.7208 said:

According to Anet they don't have banbots, and they don't actively monitor chat. They have stated this many many times.

Any ban caused by chat starts with a player (or more) reporting it. It's then reviewed by a person before any ban happens. So in effect at least two people thought the comment worthy of a ban.

According to the truth they have had them since their original game lol.  

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

Jokes impact everyone and even if they were not the intended target. One should always take care to be considerate about others when making jokes that have the potential to offend.  Death threat (“defeating”) jokes are inappropriate. 

Going by your logic it would better to just cancel whole languages, because there's possibility someone may use some x word and may shatter someones glass heart. 
How about growing up instead some thicc skin to not get easily offended by "words"?
You know, but memeing around with various types of jokes you may near instantly get to know with what kind type of human you're currently interacting, some may go "ewww disgusting", others will go "lmao" and someone else will just leave.
World running on emotions won't survive long and we're already witnessing this circus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3