A buff to core revenant

RabbitUp.8294

A buff I would like to see that would give a niche to core rev to compete with the elite specs:

Ancient Echo now counts as a legend swap for traits. So basically you rechannel the same legend and get the trait procs associated with that legend.

It would open up new options for builds that want to stay on the same legend longer, like Ventari supports for example. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Elite specializations are supposed to excel over the three core specs setup, buffing "core rev" to make it compete against elite specs seems counterintuitive.

No, they're a different vision from the core class, introducing different mechanics, nothing more nothing less. Excelling would mean giving elite specs their own specific slot in the specialization while having still 3 core trait lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Shao.7236 said:

No, they're a different vision from the core class, introducing different mechanics, nothing more nothing less. Excelling would mean giving elite specs their own specific slot in the specialization while having still 3 core trait lines.

Kinda different from what I see every day I log in but ok, take the theory if you want.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Kinda different from what I see every day I log in but ok, take the theory if you want.

I'm able to beat pretty much 90% elites or core profession one way or another as Core power alone, so my theory is more than proven right.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

25 minutes ago, Shao.7236 said:

While Anet did sell Elite Specs as “side grades,” the way elites are structured makes them *generally* stronger than their core counterparts.  At least in PvE the idea of core being competitive/on par with Elites is incredibly difficult balance to achieve since almost any buff to core is also a buff to the Elite.  In this sense I don’t think Telgum is wrong  to assert that “elites are stronger” since in PvE that’s 99% of the time true. 

However in PvP/WvW it is definitely possible, as you note, for core to be on par with elites since the gameplay focuses are different and it’s not about having highest dps or best support uptime 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Shao.7236 said:

I'm able to beat pretty much 90% elites or core profession one way or another as Core power alone, so my theory is more than proven right.

Your personal experiences are not the rules, elite specializations actually excel and perform way better than core ones despite the initial Anet's intentions with them, there may be exceptions on specific situations, like core guardian dealing higher burn burst that firebrand, or core necro tanking more damage without spamming barriers/healing while dealing moderate damage.

But seriously, questioning that elite specializations excel over core setups... Lmao.

• Like 3

Ancient Echo has been a really awesome implementation for Rev--one that I really love and one that greatly benefits the core class. Personally, I am happy with the energy aspect of it and its overall performance, as 25e on demand every 20s is sufficient as is. But the secondary effect? It ranges from great to meh. Jalis probably has the best effect, Shiro's can be really clutch, Ventari's is...pretty nice, and Mallyx's is now rather lackluster. Personally, I would like for AE to really enhance the essence and primary role of the legend.

Some ideas? Well in my ideal world each legend would grant both an effect and a boon. Quick thoughts:

• Jalis: Effect is great as is. Boon could be stab, prot, or resolution.
  • Shiro: Effect is fine as is, though with all the multihits Rev has, I would like for the number of charges to be increased to 3. I would also like for the effect to stack with Phase Traversal unblockable buff. Boon could be quickness.
  • Ventari: Alacrity works just fine for the legend and is quite beneficial for fluidity of tablet movement. Would absolutely love for the effect to have Ventari skills also trigger PBAoE around the player for 3-5s. 
  • Mallyx: Resistance is fine as is. Would be cool to have an effect for ~3-4s to give total condition damage immunity (damage immunity only) to give a bit of its old identity back. 

I think with those changes, it would make the choice between F-skills more competitive. There can't really be any trait interactions implemented because those would inherently benefit e-spec F2's as well. Your idea of having it trigger weapon-swap, while interesting, gives me the impression of further shoving Invocation down our throats. 

Edited by Za Shaloc.3908
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Elite specializations are supposed to excel over the three core specs setup, buffing "core rev" to make it compete against elite specs seems counterintuitive.

The devs themselves said that core specs should have some edge over elite spec. That's why the started adding trade-offs to elite specs, that's why Ancient Echo was created in the first place.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Za Shaloc.3908 said:

Your idea of having it trigger weapon-swap, while interesting, gives me the impression of further shoving Invocation down our throats. 

To be fair, both Salvation and Corruption interact with the legend swap, too. But I see what you mean.