Dear devs: Please don't think ALL thief players want dual sword or greatsword ):

LITERALLYABIRD.3528

That's all really.  I'm sure you're all already aware are that there are players out there quietly hoping for different and more creative weapons but I just wanted to say it out loud (and then get a bunch of angry comments probably, but such is life I guess).  Personally I'm hoping very very badly for a focus, so thieves can have a mobile magical spec like some of the Guild Wars 1 assassin skills provided.  I think in the hands of the teams responsible for the three elite specs we've already seen, a magic user specialization would be amazingly fun.

Anyway like I said that's all, thank you for all your hard work and the elite specs we've seen so far.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

I agree with you but haven't been as quiet XD

It would be nice to experience a new 1hander for the first time, and even more-so if it's equippable in both hands for many new dual attacks and build choices. 

Honestly I'd feel like the community ruined a 2nd elite spec if they went with Greatsword. The majority begged for Rifle (instead of pushing for pistol buffs) and got it... the 2nd 2handed elite spec to give none of our old weapons love with new dual attacks. Then people ended up not even wanting to use the Rifle anyways. Staff Daredevil (which I actually love at this point) already fullfills the role a "GS Samurai" would, just like Pistols already filled the role Rifle did and could have just gotten buffed range. Staff even doubles as a Scythe weapon for GW1 throwback. Not sure why we'd need another weapon that did the same thing.

Jeez, they could just add Canthan samurai-like medium armor and spear/glaive/guandao/naginata skins for staff to make it fullfull the role GS would have even more. Because Samurai also used polearms.

Dual swords I'd be more happy for just cuz it's a 1hander, but consider it the least creative choice. A heavy shadow magic oriented Dual Torch or Focus would be the most interesting things to me; like a D&D "Arcane Trickster" Mage+Rogue sort of thing. Also, a lot of people were disappointed there were no Dual Focus specs that used them like Hand-to-hand weapons when Anet started popping out skins that looked like fist weapons for it.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah! Don't give unappreciative Thieves a greatsword, Devs. Let them have a one-handed option this time around.

We, over in the Engineer forums, would be thrilled to have Greatsword! Or Staff! Or, hey, we'll settle for any kind of bow!

Please, just not a one-handed option. We need two-handeds!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kusumura.8642 said:

Yeah! Don't give unappreciative Thieves a greatsword, Devs. Let them have a one-handed option this time around.

We, over in the Engineer forums, would be thrilled to have Greatsword! Or Staff! Or, hey, we'll settle for any kind of bow!

dont listen to this guy anet
we thiefs do not want focus engi can have focus they would do great things with it.
😄

on serious note tho, if thief gets focus it would probably mean another dead elite class to thief.
deadeye was/is already in shadows of core/Daredevil. i doubt a focus thief is gonna out shine core/daredevil.

Edited by reddie.5861
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, reddie.5861 said:

on serious note tho, if thief gets focus it would probably mean another dead elite class to thief.
deadeye was/is already in shadows of core/Daredevil. i doubt a focus thief is gonna out shine core/daredevil.

Like.. I see this a lot, but I've never felt it. I have always enjoyed Deadeye and it's frankly more fun to play than anything Engies have gotten so far, though I may be biased because it shares.. a lot of gameplay similarities with Smuggler/Agent from The Old Republic, and frell me, I loved me some good Smuggler/Agent cover-taking and unloading the DPS.

Plus it has decent support and contributes buffs to the group!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kusumura.8642 said:

And leave zero choice to the amount of weapons you can pair with eachother... traitor...

Edited by MrForz.1953

To me Daredevil never felt like a "thief". It's straight up a monk. Deadeye fits thief way more thematically.

I'm more concerned about how the new elite spec will fit the thief as a whole, rather than the weapon choice. Also, we should not ask to get "magical" stuff either. I feel like that goes into mesmer territory. There I said it, Mesmer is a magical thief.

Since they already gave sword off hand to willbender, I think its less likely thief will get the same. Longbow and Axe could be decent choices. Greatsword would require a very detailed explanation as to why this mobile, sneaky class is carrying a gigantic sword on their back.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BIRDPUNCHER.8263 said:

That's all really.  I'm sure you're all already aware are that there are players out there quietly hoping for different and more creative weapons but I just wanted to say it out loud (and then get a bunch of angry comments probably, but such is life I guess).  Personally I'm hoping very very badly for a focus, so thieves can have a mobile magical spec like some of the Guild Wars 1 assassin skills provided.  I think in the hands of the teams responsible for the three elite specs we've already seen, a magic user specialization would be amazingly fun.

Anyway like I said that's all, thank you for all your hard work and the elite specs we've seen so far.

Do u honestly think thiefs espec weapons not already set in stone and either finished or nearly finished?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Personally really hoping for greatsword or dual sword. Imo a focus or a torch would be lame asf, tho torch thematically makes sense but is still lame.

Anything can be "lame" if the skills etc are a disappointment.

So far, the preview of the first three elite specs hasn't excited me in the least. Let's see whether that will change after today's live stream...

22 minutes ago, LadyEden.7519 said:

Anything can be "lame" if the skills etc are a disappointment.

So far, the preview of the first three elite specs hasn't excited me in the least. Let's see whether that will change after today's live stream...

I'm in same boat, and ur right, which makes me wonder about the rest of the unveils. 

Torch or Warhorn would be a big let down for me. I choosed Thief in 2012 because it is a rouge class with high mobility and DPS & Stealth. Condi is boring as hell and a support is a big laugh. Guardian & Co. will  outshine thief in that matter because of the sustain which thief will never have in Zergplay.

Thats why u have different classes in the Game. I know that GW 2 kills of the holy trinity but it also doesn't make sense that every class can do every role in every Modi the game offers.

For me a new weapon also have to fit the asthetic & lore of the class. For me its only GS or Focus or offhand Sword. The other doesn't feel right to me.

Edited by Grebcol.5984
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Do u honestly think thiefs espec weapons not already set in stone and either finished or nearly finished?

Not at all, I'm sure it's well on its way to finished!  But I thought it would be nice to communicate to them that if it isn't sword or greatsword, there are plenty of people that will be happy about that.  Most of the topics here seem to communicate that if it isn't OH sword or greatsword, the devs are wrong/bad/stupid/there will be a riot.  It's nice to have positive reinforcement sometimes.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BIRDPUNCHER.8263 said:

Not at all, I'm sure it's well on its way to finished!  But I thought it would be nice to communicate to them that if it isn't sword or greatsword, there are plenty of people that will be happy about that.  Most of the topics here seem to communicate that if it isn't OH sword or greatsword, the devs are wrong/bad/stupid/there will be a riot.  It's nice to have positive reinforcement sometimes.

Ahh ok I get what ur saying.

On 8/13/2021 at 6:00 AM, BIRDPUNCHER.8263 said:

So basically ninja 

Dear Devs:  please dont listen to the OP.  We do want either sword or greatsword.  Do not give us another trash weapon/spec like Deadeye.  Leave torch and focus to another profession or 2-3 expansions down the line.  Hell, even axe and mace should come before those.

Edited by Will.9785
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kusumura.8642 said:

It's Scepter.

I'll settle for Engineers getting mace.. just so long as we get to see you Thieves re-enacting How Not To Summon A Demon Lord.

Will I get to have Diabolos as a Stand? And/Or an army of Night Creatures like Isaac in Castlevania?

Edited by Doggie.3184

On 8/23/2021 at 9:29 AM, Ydeirt.3905 said:

Same here, i'm really hoping its focus instead of other stuff so we can use actual shadow magic which is a cool theme imo

I would have liked offhand sword or great sword. I'll even gladly take focus with pleasant surprise. But scepter is a major disappointment for me. It'll probably get tossed into the under used corner for the duration of its life cycle, while ANET nerfs everything else to try and entice us to use it when.

Edited by Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1