Which other legend to pair with Mallyx aside from Kalla?

SunTzu.4513

Greetings,

i'm trying once again to get into the Revenant. I played the class years ago for a short time as Glint/Shiro was i thing if i remember correctly. I'm still at the leveling process but i fell in love with mace/axe and mallyx. I tried Mallyx/Kalla on my old rev but while SB is a nice range addition i don't like Kallas skillset with these whole summon warband furrys. What legend would you advice to pair with mallyx? I think i will take the rengade Espec for the shortbow and the the condi synergies. Full ascendet viper gear is already be craftet and is waiting for my new toon to hit lvl 80. Atm i'm switching between the dwarf and shiro not sure which is better feels pretty situational. These days i only play open world/Metas/story and and a few fractals in T1-3 range.Thanks for any advice.

For open world huh. i'm not very familiar with open world meta builds, but Renegade Roamers in wvw can feel a bit squishy (Kalla x Shiro), so as a player with not hundreds of hours in Rev, I'd say it's a nice combo for open world. Only place I can see you having issues is Drizzlewood where you can't rly solo much.

I have also seen renegades not running kalla at all and going from classic revenant legend combos like Mallyx x Jalis or Jalis x Shiro. But I suppose if you want Kalla you should go with Jalis.

As for Mallyx, I used to run a self-destructive build in core. Devastation, Invocation, Corruption (all the dmg related traits) with mace x sword and sword x axe. Very crappy build, you resort to evades and teleports to survive while landing some crazy condi numbers with Mallyx, but super fun to play nonetheless.

Full Viper's? Go for Shiro I'd say. You have the power and crit chance to benefit from Impossible Odds. If you pick the trait that makes your Fury's crit chance 40%, your crit chance will be 108% when your endurance bar is full.(with Fury) Your power damage is outstanding all by itself, not to mention the capability to deal tons of condi damage.

Depends on what you want to do, really. Shiro isn't as good with condi as he used to be since Impossible Odds got changed to be pure power, but if you're running viper, you can still make that work, and Quickness is technically still available through the offensive teleport. Jalis can be good for stability and general toughness. Even Ventari can somewhat work if heavy protection against projectiles would be something useful, although usually you'd be better off with something else.

Mind you, if you haven't already done so, consider running with Kalla, but run Devastation and the three bottom skills instead of Invocation. The self-healing you can get out of Battle Scars in PvE is pretty ridiculous, particularly when combined with Icerazor. Even if you run Jalis, it might be worth considering Devastation instead of Retribution.

Note that this only applies in PvE - the coefficients for Battle Scars are a lot lower in competitive modes.

Mallyx Shiro Renegade.

Yu can use Phase Traversal for Gap close and Quickness if yu missed yur Axe somehow (happens rarely in open world but it can happen)

Don't bother using Impossible Odds, just spend all yur Energy in Shiro spamming PT for Quickness Bombardment and Mace weapon skills

Ty all for you fast replys and helpful advices.

Mind you, if you haven't already done so, consider running with Kalla, but run Devastation and the three bottom skills instead of Invocation. The self-healing you can get out of Battle Scars in PvE is pretty ridiculous, particularly when combined with Icerazor. Even if you run Jalis, it might be worth considering Devastation instead of Retribution.

This is the plan :) I will try corruption/devestation/renegade.

I was also thinking to just run some kind of core build but the lack of condi weapons aside from mace/axe bothers me. I also like to have the options to play mid range so shortbow is for me the only viable option. Hammer don't feel good even on power builds i see no real use for it on an condi or hybrid pve build. If i want cc to eat breakbars i always can go with a staff which also brings some minor condi clean with it. I mean in the end everything goes in ow/story but i prefer to have at least some kill speed combined with a good amount of selfsustain.

I really hope Rev is getting a power based more self oriented DPS spec with the new expansion. Overall i really love the flow of the class and the switching of legends. It's like a breeze of fresh air to me which brought back a lot of fun gameplay wise. Not just like line up your burst and wait for the CD's to fall off. The only class which feels a little bit the same to me is ele. But i like heavy armor looking knightish classes way more than those robe wearing dudes.

Can't wait to bring the rev into HoT to test what his capebilitys on soloing the HP challanges over there are. It will certainly a steep learning curve, to get used to CD's+ energy managment and weapon/legend swapping while under pressure.

might be a useful resource for the build, especially if you're looking to solo HoT hero points and other intended-for-groups challenges.

I think what you're asking for is what a lot of people are asking for. Herald and power renegade can both do fairly well in open world, but for power DPS in raids they need something that's more selfish and less self-sufficient.

For viper stats the build which probably works the best is Mallyx + Kalla, but with short bow as the main weapon. Mallyx + mace & axe is more suited for Herald spec + trailblazer gear.

For physical damage with Renegade spec the best builds came probably from Kalla + Jalis with a mix between cavalier and commander stats and sb + swords. This is almost the same build as the one from Paper's Roll (same overall stats) but stronger boon game due the rune of the Leadership:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAUxzltQHMNqhlROsN6hNSfMDKgJ11/rF-zRZYBJ1AY4wOC68MiVF0rUwjngA6t47rF-e

For PvP/WvW with Renegade i think that sb + staff and Shiro + Jalis works the best at roaming. Small group roaming can favour a more tankiness approach, but going solo the lack of Shiro would take a hit.

@Buran.3796 said:For viper stats the build which probably works the best is Mallyx + Kalla, but with short bow as the main weapon. Mallyx + mace & axe is more suited for Herald spec + trailblazer

Why do I always see you only recommend one or the other? Shortbow + Mace/Axe work better in tandem than they do just having one or the other. Mace/axe works fine on Mallyx/Kalla with viper gear as well. It’s ideal to have both

@"LucianTheAngelic.7054" said:

Why do I always see you only recommend one or the other? Shortbow + Mace/Axe work better in tandem than they do just having one or the other. Mace/axe works fine on Mallyx/Kalla with viper gear as well. It’s ideal to have both

I wasn't fan of the Kalla summons nor the short bow design since PoF release and barely touched it for more than 2 years. Then after the big balance patch in February and some buffs Renegade started to become a thing in PvP, and about a month ago some open world builds and this thread picked my interest and made me to test some variants:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/119084/open-world-pve-shortbow-renegade-condi-vs-power#latest

Due I have the PvP legendary armor and several legendaries (swords, staff, axe, even shield... ) I did change stats, runes and sigils to try viper Renegade, trailblazer Renegade, zerker renegade, trailblazer Herald, power Herald and other variants without bothering about the cost. Tested them vs some PvE and WvW characters handled by the A.I., such as charr sentinels, the veteran Hwarg, the giants from the Elon Riverlands and even some bounties (albeit judging the performance vs bounties is hard due the ramdomless of the Unstable Magic). I was trying to make a fair comparison, albeit is not entirely feasible to me since I'm much more used to use the core/Herald skills. And those are my thoughs after 3-4 weeks testing:

• Snow's Crows viper Renegade with Nightmare runes and short bow & mace + axe and Invocation (2,1,2), Corruption (1,3,1) & Renegade (2,2,2) has the bigger dps. It reaches spikes over 55 stacks of torment and keeps well over 30 all the time. Kills faster any thing doesn't require you to evade attacks, and requieres a fairly elaborated chain of attacks. Doesn't have energy problems due Charged Mist, but is terribad at damage mitigation and self sustain. Can be argued that is not a problem in a raid or fractal with other memebers filling support roles, but doesn't change the fact that other builds can do the same task at slower pace, whereas that build can't solo the content others do.
  • Nike! DNT's build is very different: trailblazer Renegade with the same Nightmare runes but Corruption (1,3,3) Devastation (3,3,3) and Renegade (2,2,2). Is more defensive, because uses Permeating Pestilence instead of Diabolic Inferno, so can ditch conditions easier, and has the Battle Scars triunvirate of traits to ensure enhanced sustain. Is designed to use only the short bow, because instead of complex rotations relies in the sb auto attack and Sevenshot 90% of the time; that's why despite lacking the Invotacion traitline and Charged Mist doesn't struggles with energy. But loses a lot of stacks of torment due the absence of the mace. In exchange, has a huge boost in both armor and HP, and much better sustain. What I like less about that one is the reduced mobility once in combat.
  • Paper Roll's made two videos with two open world Renegade variants: one is a condition one with Corruption (1,3,1) Devastation (3,3,3) and Renegade (2,2,2), using trailblazer stats + Traveller runes and short bow & mace + axe, with either Kall + Jalis or Kalla + Shiro as legends. Again a similar concept as the one from Nike's, sacrifices the damage from the runes to get more mobility, and the pulses from Mallyx are replaced by the perma-stability provided from Mallyx, which also is more tanky.
  • But I found more interesting the power Renegade variant Paper Roll's made: a mix between Diviner and Cavalier (with some Zerk, Valk and Marauder pieces) with rune of the Earth and Invocation (2,2,2) Devastation (3,3,3) and Renegade (1,3,2) using short bow and both swords and Kalla + Jalis. Now starting from the stats: instead of that weid amalgama one can just use berserker in the weapons and devote thefull armor to cavalier and the trinkets to commander (or viceversa) and use the Leadership runes and you'll get the same or better damage with much better boon duration (Earth only benefits protection, and is his build reaches 55%, my stats rearrange provide 47,7% to everything, more HP nad more armor). This is a different approach: since we no longer need the Blood Fury or Heart Pirecer for condi damage in the Kalla traitline it opens All for One, which with the concentration we have turns Kalla in a permanent source of protection, paired whith Jalis, which gives permanent stability and a lot of damage mitigation. The increase of the cost in energy is founded by Charged Mist, due Corruption is no longer needed so Invocation comes around, and the best thing is that Rapid Flow is also on the table so the mobility while fighting is also greatly increased. I think that this is the best build around because has the best mitigation, is paired with the best ones in sustain and mobility, has excellent energy management and has great access to stability and cleanses, and does all those things without losing too much damage. Can also swap from range to mele without losing to much damage (at single target).

Now, the short bow is a pure hybrid weapon: in the auto attack most of the damage is physical, but with viper and a condi build the condition can be rised up to 50% of the damage; in the other skills most of the damage comes from conditions and buffing the physical damage it can reach ~40% of the whole damage. If you go physical damage with the Renegade build and the short bow (which I'll recomend), then the two swords are way better that the mace (mace is more oriented towards conditions: even at full zerk the condis do more damage than the hits if they aren't removed). In the physical damage build the swords provide i-frames, which helps with the lack of blocks in the short bow. If you run a condition based Renegade, the mace and axe help offensively, but provide no defense: with condi Herald you can use the healing as a block, and pair mace + axe / mace + shield to get an extra block, but with Renegade there's no shield and the damage from swords in a condi build will be lackluster (same as with the staff, but that one at least blocks, blinds, cleanses and breaks defience bars). Short bow + mace & axe in a fractal? Sure, you're probably covered if you make mistakes. Short bow + mace & axe soloing things in OW? Why? Regular mobs will die before they reach mele range, and if I have to face tank a champion or legendary bounty I'll chose either power Renegade with swords, condi Herald with swap to shield or even power Herald (I've done 60-65% of solo bounties with power Herald despite the subpar damage and my lack of familiarity with unstable magic until recently).

That's why I'm not fond in mace and axe with the short bow. They work great offensively, not that much for defense. But may be a thing of lack of experience. So far I'm liking more the physical variant. And in PvP roaming I do use Jalis + Shiro sb + staff; thing work differently there and the boons have much shorter duration: blocks/evades are a must.

By the way, another argument for the Kalla + Jalis power Renegade: I love how with power Herald and Surge of the Mist, Jade Winds, Elemental Blast, Chaotic Release, Chilling Isolation and Shackling Wave we have a plethora of tools to fastly disable defiance bars, albeit some of them reduce our dps or requiere stability/good positioning to be used... Power Renegade has Darkrazor's Daring and Forced Engagement: both are absolute monsters at destroying blue bars and since we have access to stability with Inspiring Reinforcement and Darkrazor's we can keep delivering barrage after barrage of Sevenshots and AA while disabling champs and legendary foes without degrading our dps too much.

I'm no expert, started about a month ago with rev. But I'm an old gamer and watched many tuts. So I decided to go full Berserker for high dmg. Mallyx/Shiro is the combo that works best for my play style in PVP. Cor/Dev/Inv or Cor/Dev/Ren if I want the ranged option. Keep in mind that you have to take the most of the 2 legends you pic. If you stick to one all the time, you're gonna feed only.

@Buran.3796 said:Power Renegade has Darkrazor's Daring and Forced Engagement: both are absolute monsters at destroying blue bars and since we have access to stability with Inspiring Reinforcement and Darkrazor's we can keep delivering barrage after barrage of Sevenshots and AA while disabling champs and legendary foes without degrading our dps too much.

Forced Engagement is decent at best at Defiance Bar damage.Nothing really beats SotM + Darkrazor on a Renegade though.

The thing here is, we're talking about PvE right?Staff is not nerfed in PvE, SotM actually does a good chunk of burst damage when used with Shiro's IO, and Staff autos + spammable Rebuke actually does a good amount of damage, at least enough to not have a large DPS dip before yu swap back to swords.

But yes, Jalis does have merit for being able to provide themselves and allies with Stability, as well as Hammers having some form of sustain and damage reduction as well as a cleanse.I do prefer Jalis on Power Renegade if we are talking about self-sufficient builds, but for DPS, nothing really thumps Shiro.