Anet, if you made outfits interchangeable with other armor pieces, I would have bought all of them.

Swing.6439

A lot of people consider fashion the endgame of gw2, joking or not, and it's fun to do. So why don't you let us do this? Even if it was limited to only one outfit at a time (i.e, you can only switch outfits with armor pieces, not other outfit pieces.) I'd be all over it. That's all.

Agreed, but oh well that’s the point of outfits. I don’t get why they can’t just make armor that looks the same for all weights. Who tf cares anymore? But I’d be happy enough with more outfits where they release parts like helmets and shoulders alone, if nothing else. Though we have like 200+ helmets and under 100 chest armors...

They don't make them interchangeable because if they did that, they would have to check clipping issues/how each piece interacts with every single other piece of armour across all three weights across all 5 races, 2.5 of which (asura, charr, and male norn) are drastically different. Outfits mean they just have to make sure the whole thing works on each model.

Sometimes individual pieces get pulled off to make their own skin (e.g. shrine guardian ears, Wolfblood shoulders) because they can be separated and clipping issues from them are a minor issue, but those are the minority and it's far easier to pull the helm of an outfit out and make it its own skin than pull the chest or legs out, and gloves and boots also have a lot of potential clipping issues.

It would definitely be nice if we could transpose bits and pieces from outfits onto non-outfit skins, but there's a lot of technical issues in the way and to do so would require a shift in resources and focus. If it were to change, it would likely be like what happened with dyable backpacks and how there's zero intention to go back and change every backpack skin from before that update just because a lot of work would be required to essentially chop up and QA test every outfit currently in-game.

We get it, full armors with independent pieces are better, but the fact is that Arenanet isn't capable of making more than a couple every year or so. Outfits are a way to at least partially appease the playerbase's desire for more ways to partake in Fashion Wars and also keep the revenue stream going. A lot of games do this, actually.

@"Swing.6439" said:A lot of people consider fashion the endgame of gw2, joking or not, and it's fun to do. So why don't you let us do this? Even if it was limited to only one outfit at a time (i.e, you can only switch outfits with armor pieces, not other outfit pieces.) I'd be all over it. That's all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/comment/d0wftvl?context=1000

“Armor is one of the most expensive things in the game to create. Armor is complicated and needs to be created with many considerations in mind”

Changing outfits to armor would make them armor, and become extremely expensive and time consuming to create when factoring in all the races, genders, sizes... It’s less expensive and time consuming to create outfits, but we still do get new armors.

Is this stuff understandable to you?