devs: why not give patch notes early?

Kuya.6495

Rather than making assumptions, let me just go right ahead and ask why. This is for pvp devs: why do you currently choose to deliver balance patch notes on the same day a balance patch hits? Why have you not chosen instead to deliver news regarding balance changes days to weeks before the patch actually hits?

I'd like to know the reasons. Maybe we can debate whether they still make sense given the current state of the pvp side of the game. It doesn't make sense for me to give you a laundry list of reasons why i think you should give information earlier if I'm not clear on the reasons why you've chosen a specific policy in the first place.

I've been asking this for years, they sometimes do preview, or we get leaks but nothing ever consistent. This is pure speculation on my part but it's probably something along the lines of: "Ugh!!! These players are scrutinizing and pulling it apart before even playing it!"In addition there is likely some sort of policy that is like: "Until it's in the game everything can be changed!" Plus I'm sure in their reports there is a significantly lower purchase of gems from unsatisfied players who aren't PvP mains per se, but who do play the PvP regardless of the state it's in, or those affected by un-split skills (because PvP mains on a whole probably buy less gems) which to them the longer they hold off the better.

Unfortunately, regardless of how right the community is about the state of the game based on early leaks, or early previews from devs in the past; the most vocal members will be super salty and flood the forums, and I think they want to avoid that as long as possible. Which is a shame since we could have a much healthier game if things were publicly debated early and possibly changed, and if dev bias didn't constantly ruin the game.

@Dawdler.8521 said:This would spoil the surprise of scourge being buffed and full counter being untouched.

@Liewec.2896 said:because otherwise we'd be able to point out insane and ridiculous changes and they could be removed from the patch without us having to wait another 6 months...and that would be awful ofcourse!

I legitimately wonder how a-net takes this type of criticism, especially since it's been levied at them for years, I feel like they offhandedly wave it as just us being shitty about their game. However in reality the combination of these two comments is why the PvP of this game is always so unhealthy.

Also lets be honest, the next "balance" patch isn't going to be for PvP, it's going to be for the sake of raids to either bring condi in line with power, or (somewhat synonymously I guess?) bring the "37k DPS is over performing" specs in line with the rest of the game.

@Daishi.6027 said:

I legitimately wonder how a-net takes this type of criticism, especially since it's been levied at them for years, I feel like they offhandedly wave it as just us being kitten about their game. However in reality the combination of these two comments is why the PvP of this game is always so unhealthy.

Also lets be honest, the next "balance" patch isn't going to be for PvP, it's going to be for the sake of raids to either bring condi in line with power, or (somewhat synonymously I guess?) bring the "37k DPS is over performing" specs in line with the rest of the game.

Excuse me? They only provide 4 balance patches for PvP A YEAR (and seems that they even struggle to fulfill their own timeline schedule). They already released PoF with 0 content to PvP or WvW (aside for the accidental inclusion of the new specs, a subproduct by doing new PvE classes), so is now a month and half after the expansion release when SOME attention to the PvP is expected.

@Buran.3796 said:Excuse me? They only provide 4 balance patches for PvP A YEAR (and seems that they even struggle to fulfill their own timeline schedule). They already released PoF with 0 content to PvP or WvW (aside for the accidental inclusion of the new specs, a subproduct by doing new PvE classes), so is now a month and half after the expansion release when SOME attention to the PvP is expected.

Honestly at this point. You should expect no extra PvP or WvW attention. You should always be aware of your status as PvPers and WvWers in GW2, as 2nd and 3rd class citizens.

@Reaper Alim.4176 said:

@Buran.3796 said:Excuse me? They only provide 4 balance patches for PvP A YEAR (and seems that they even struggle to fulfill their own timeline schedule). They already released PoF with 0 content to PvP or WvW (aside for the accidental inclusion of the new specs, a subproduct by doing new PvE classes), so is now a month and half after the expansion release when SOME attention to the PvP is expected.

Honestly at this point. You should expect no extra PvP or WvW attention. You should always be aware of your status as PvPers and WvWers in GW2, as 2nd and 3rd class citizens.

Being a 3rd Class Citizen in game and a 3rd Worlder in life.

Bless.

Because the localization and editing team has to finish the notes.

The entire reason balance changes are finalized weeks in advance is so that the editing team can go over it make sure the I's are dotted and the t' are crossed. This is 2017 companies don't just let random devs freewheel important documents that are going to be viewed by customers around the world.

Expectation is going to lead to disappointment, if this was two years ago I'd have been more hopeful.I'm not pessimistic enough to believed that we are to far gone to come back, I think we could have a thriving E-sports scene that people really enjoy watching.However the path a-net has chosen is fairly clear.

If we get a solid patch for the pvp meta, that they are willing to tweak within the course of a month, then good on it; I'll be happy.If not? Oh well it's what I expected anyways, I'm not going to cry (passionately worry) about a-nets self harm anymore.

@Crinn.7864 said:Because the localization and editing team has to finish the notes.

The entire reason balance changes are finalized weeks in advance is so that the editing team can go over it make sure the I's are dotted and the t' are crossed. This is 2017 companies don't just let random devs freewheel important documents that are going to be viewed by customers around the world.

It takes them weeks to edit a document?

Hell, I'll do it if that means I can see the patch notes early.

"Hey, it's been 4 weeks, did you dot all the I's and cross the T's yet?""Nope."lul

@Crinn.7864 said:This is 2017 companies don't just let random devs freewheel important documents that are going to be viewed by customers around the world.

Says the guy speaking about a company that has lost all of its franchise-founding devs and which employs a workforce mostly comprised of 1-year interns who are paid in peanuts. Get real, my dude.

Archived