What Happened to Revenant? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Revenant

What Happened to Revenant?

It's being treated like a has-been fad rather than an actual profession.

<1

Comments

• Furious.2867Furious.2867 Member ✭✭✭

Pvp wise, it was the only profession without representation at monthly ATs - and that was pre 12/12 balance that nerfed the condi build even more.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:
    Because Anet balances on PvE.

If you're a PvE person oh boy this game is for you.

If you're a PvP person might as well leave now imo. PvP balance will always be kitten as long as balance decisions affecting EVERYONE are made based on raid boss situations.

Untrue as Anet makes gamewide balance changes based on PvP too.

• Jinks.2057Jinks.2057 Member ✭✭✭✭

After 2 straight years of being OP they are out.

Problem with Rev is has the ability to do too much right at once. Look at it's inception it was able to hold a point while having the highest burst in game.

Now the devs have too be very careful b/c a class that can do many things can quickly swing from useless to OP.

Don't worry a few placed needs and rev will be back

@otto.5684 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Problem with Rev is has the ability to do too much right at once. Look at it's inception it was able to hold a point while having the highest burst in game.

Now the devs have too be very careful b/c a class that can do many things can quickly swing from useless to OP.

I heard that like 6 patches ago and it did not happen. Ever since PS nerf more than a year ago, Rev in sPvP has been pretty low on viability.

Renegade is obsolete in everything but raids. Even the bit of condi burst it had was nerfed between this patch and last patch.

Power Rev has been meta since rev was released. Towards the end of HoT we also had Ventari bunker rev to troll matches with.

I'm sorry but Rev has been in a VERY good spot since it's release and only until recently is in a bad spot. This actually has more to do with the power level of other classes then the class itself though. That tells you that you have to be very delicate in balancing it b/c a hair too much of a buff with some nerfs to other classes will have them OP again.

It'll happen though Rev will be back so I wouldn't worry too much.

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Oh look a thief main saying rev has been OP for 2 whole years

Please tell us how you thought this last patch destroyed thief again lol

Shocker I play rev too

We gonna do this again? Last time you really showed how little you know

• BeepBoopBop.5403BeepBoopBop.5403 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jinks.2057 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

I heard that like 6 patches ago and it did not happen. Ever since PS nerf more than a year ago, Rev in sPvP has been pretty low on viability.

Renegade is obsolete in everything but raids. Even the bit of condi burst it had was nerfed between this patch and last patch.

Power Rev has been meta since rev was released. Towards the end of HoT we also had Ventari bunker rev to troll matches with.

I'm sorry but Rev has been in a VERY good spot since it's release and only until recently is in a bad spot. This actually has more to do with the power level of other classes then the class itself though. That tells you that you have to be very delicate in balancing it b/c a hair too much of a buff with some nerfs to other classes will have them OP again.

Revenant has been meta for like 1 out of 2 years it's been out. Thief has been meta for 4 out of 5. Laughable that you say we have been in a good place in comparison to the permanent meta thief.

And Ventari revenant was a scrub build. Wasn't even really meta.

edited December 13, 2017

@Jinks.2057 said:

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Shocker I play rev too

Lol when I was commenting yesterday I didn't even log on to try the changes yet. And even now, 0 issues stacking stealth with d/p after I tried it, l2p.

Continue talking about how rev was OP for 2 whole years though Mr thief main. Rev stopped being "OP" when SotM precision strike and Equilibrium were destroyed. You play the literal counter to rev and somehow think it's been OP when thief has 2x 4k essence sap up it's sleeves lol get real.

Also "I play rev too" lol yeah ok, if you actually did you wouldn't be saying it's been meta or OP for 2 years. No revenant main thinks that at any level.

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Revenant has been meta for like 1 out of 2 years it's been out. Thief has been meta for 4 out of 5. Laughable that you say we have been in a good place in comparison to the permanent meta thief.

nope rev has been in every meta

vent rev was OP as kitten....ofc you'd down play it

As for thief this discussion isn't about thief

edited December 13, 2017

@Jinks.2057 said:

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Nope rev has been B tier for a year. Has a rev ever won an AT? How many rev steamers are there this season?

Ventari rev was always garbage and lost to good rotation and focus. Of course you would have problems learning to play and adapting. It essentially held a similar role to Condi d/d Daredevil, except Condi Daredevil can actually kill people (let me guess that build was fine to you). I am not defending the lack of CD on the Ventari knockback it had to go. But the build was kitten kitten and useless, just a pub stomper.

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Shocker I play rev too

Lol when I was commenting yesterday I didn't even log on to try the changes yet. And even now, 0 issues stacking stealth with d/p after I tried it, l2p.

Continue talking about how rev was OP for 2 whole years though Mr thief main. Rev stopped being "OP" when SotM precision strike and Equilibrium were destroyed. You play the literal counter to rev and somehow think it's been OP when thief has 2x 4k essence sap up it's sleeves lol get real.

Also "I play rev too" lol yeah ok, if you actually did you wouldn't be saying it's been meta or OP for 2 years. No revenant main thinks that at any level.

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Shocker I play rev too

Do you even pay attention to any other class besides your "main"?

I spelled it out to you as simply as a human being could and you're still clueless

It doesn't matter b/c I'm pretty sure this thread is about what happened to rev not get back at jinks for making me look bad

let it go and get back on topic

thx

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Nope rev has been B tier for a year. Has a rev ever won an AT? How many rev steamers are there this season?

Ventari rev was always garbage and lost to good rotation and focus. Of course you would have problems learning to play and adapting. It essentially held a similar role to Condi d/d Daredevil, except Condi Daredevil can actually kill people (let me guess that build was fine to you). I am not defending the lack of CD on the Ventari knockback it had to go. But the build was kitten kitten and useless, just a pub stomper.

Double vent rev has won an AT and it was subsequently nerfed afterwards if I remember correctly

• The class has bad design and was carried to being good by having great numbers. They nerfed the numbers and the bad design can no longer carry it. Simple as that.

• nedlee.5943nedlee.5943 Member ✭✭
    edited December 14, 2017

Rev was rushed so much that it requires massive efforts to properly complete it, so anet simply gave up and decided to put resources elsewhere, i.e. more popular classes. It works pretty well since people simply don't play broken classes, and therefore less complains compared to when the other classes have problems.

• Rev can barly surviev in open world pve solo

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:
    Rev can barly surviev in open world pve solo

That's a l2p issue

• BlaqueFyre.5678BlaqueFyre.5678 Member ✭✭✭✭

Revenant as an overall class is nothing more than a Half Baked Concept, I wouldn’t even say it’s an Alpha/Beta stage of Class development, they shipped a highly overtuned Class to sell boxes that was riddled with bugs and then Proceeded to nerf it with out actually fixing the main issues with it, it is one of the more obvious displays of “competence”.

• It's just that Anet want players to stop using Revenant.
    So each patch they search for "How to disgust players about the Revenant".

"Wells skills with health bar and CC-able ?
    What a great idea, they will hate it !
    Anet."

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:
    Rev can barly surviev in open world pve solo

Sadly posts like these only reduce credibility of serious threads. Dude, if you cannot survive in open world PvE on any class, I can assure you, it is not the class that has an issue.

@apharma.3741 said:

@GoZero.9708 said:
    The class has bad design and was carried to being good by having great numbers. They nerfed the numbers and the bad design can no longer carry it. Simple as that.

they’ve started by making a lot of changes, especially in invocation and devastation is clearly power focused and themed around Shiro without actually needing Shiro to work with most traits.

Nerfs. They've started making a lot of nerfs. I refuse to see Expose Defenses and removing Equilibrium for Spirit Boon as anything but nerfs.

And contradicting themselves all over when they do stupid kitten like remove Equilibrium because it's energy requirement was too restrictive (don't get me started on Spirit Boon)...and in the same patch change Charged Mists in a way that makes it restricted to having less than 10 energy.

Revenant was badly designed, and I believe it's only downhill from here.

• Morwath.9817Morwath.9817 Member ✭✭✭✭

I've to say, I completly agree with what Chaith said on last (?) stream, there was no reason to revamp Invocation in case of Rev, if you could revamp Scrouge instead.

edited December 14, 2017

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Shocker I play rev too

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Shocker I play rev too

Do you even pay attention to any other class besides your "main"?

I spelled it out to you as simply as a human being could and you're still clueless

It doesn't matter b/c I'm pretty sure this thread is about what happened to rev not get back at jinks for making me look bad

let it go and get back on topic

thx

Calling me clueless over and over again is old lol

Your comments have 0 substance o/

it'll be ok I'll help you if ya need it

100g per 1/2 hr paid up front though

It won't take long at all to show you the problem

• Vulf.3098Vulf.3098 Member ✭✭✭

I am certain that next balance patch will be another hit to condi builds because anet refuses to acknowledge that they gutted all but 3 power builds from the game forever ago. This will probably be the patch I quit.

Rev only really has 1 good build in 1 gamemode right now and that is Raids with Condi Renegade (it is okayish in fractals). Herald is still only brought in for hand kiting and Healing Herald/Renegade is so overshadowed by Druid and Chrono it isn't even funny anymore. Rev in PvP with any build is laughable though you can do some crazy stuff with Hammer in WvW and PvP.

As other have mentioned this Specs design seems to be missing a lot when you compare it to pretty much every other spec in the game.

• JayAction.9056JayAction.9056 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2017

@Jinks.2057 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Was it rev that was op or the people playing rev simply better at the game? Rev has never been the most op spec of any season since it was released.

• Chaith.8256Chaith.8256 Member ✭✭✭✭

@JayAction.9056 said:
    Rev has never been the most op spec of any season since it was released.

It really does not matter which professions were OP in the past because balance is the goal not taking turns being broken.

With that being said, you have the memory of a goldfish, God comp Q4 2015 was two bunker Chrono, 3 Power/Condi Rev

twitch.tv/chaithh
    Forum Lord Chaith

@JayAction.9056 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

@otto.5684 said:

@Jinks.2057 said:

Was it rev that was op or the people playing rev simply better at the game? Rev has never been the most op spec of any season since it was released.

Rev was stacked in the 1st season.....I'd say rev & mesmer were tied then

• @Chaith.8256 said:

@JayAction.9056 said:

It really does not matter which professions were OP in the past because balance is the goal not taking turns being broken.

With that being said, you have the memory of a goldfish, God comp Q4 2015 was two bunker Chrono, 3 Power/Condi Rev

Mmm nah, bunk mes, ele, and Druid all carried harder than rev. Power rev was best power damage dealer in terms of group utility and sustain though that season. It was actually possible to force people to burn CDs whereas now they face tank the damage.

• Chaith.8256Chaith.8256 Member ✭✭✭✭

@JayAction.9056 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:

@JayAction.9056 said:

Mmm nah, bunk mes, ele, and Druid all carried harder than rev. Power rev was best power damage dealer in terms of group utility and sustain though that season. It was actually possible to force people to burn CDs whereas now they face tank the damage.

That was after, like 3 months after launch.

twitch.tv/chaithh
    Forum Lord Chaith

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@GoZero.9708 said:
    The class has bad design and was carried to being good by having great numbers. They nerfed the numbers and the bad design can no longer carry it. Simple as that.

they’ve started by making a lot of changes, especially in invocation and devastation is clearly power focused and themed around Shiro without actually needing Shiro to work with most traits.

Nerfs. They've started making a lot of nerfs. I refuse to see Expose Defenses and removing Equilibrium for Spirit Boon as anything but nerfs.

And contradicting themselves all over when they do stupid kitten like remove Equilibrium because it's energy requirement was too restrictive (don't get me started on Spirit Boon)...and in the same patch change Charged Mists in a way that makes it restricted to having less than 10 energy.

Revenant was badly designed, and I believe it's only downhill from here.

Whether you agree with the changed traits or not you miss the point, that is that invocation and devastation both actually work with all legends (though why anyone would ever run ventari/jalis and devastation is beyond me) and don’t force you into using any particular weapon or legend outside of 2 traits. I do agree that charged mists is awefully restrictive however I do think equilibrium offered too much spike damage and was a pain to really balance around, yes I know about song of the mists but it is a much better skill imo as it does something extra in line with the legends used as well as less spike, likewise spirit boon fits most legends and their purpose much better.

That’s the real issue with many traits, they only currently work with a certain legend or weapon and are completely useless outside of that with the other options being generally poor or equally as restrictive. I already said in the post you massively snipped that I felt Rev suffered from bad design, I just elaborated on the parts that stood out the most to me before my stomach said you need to eat.

• Swagg.9236Swagg.9236 Member ✭✭✭✭

Revenant is bloat incarnate. "Let's make a third heavy profession to even out the armor classes" is not a reason to make new character class content. It feels like a has-been throwaway precisely because it is so: Revenant is the class that should have never existed; it was made solely to sell HoT. No self-respecting RPG player would ever consider Revenant a real class knowing the circumstances of its creation.

Although, thinking further, the same could easily be said for at least half of the OG GW2 professions as well.

• Vasdamas Anklast.1607Vasdamas Anklast.1607 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2017

@Vulf.3098 said:
    As other have mentioned this Specs design seems to be missing a lot when you compare it to pretty much every other spec in the game.

Revenant is a specialization with only 18 utility skills. 4 core legends + 2 elite ones while the rest got at least got 28 to choose from plus lots of other skills either coming from F skills or different weapon modes like Holo. Such a shortage of skills plus poor design of most trait lines create very little possibilities for any sort of customization.

But then again we have people that come over and start claiming that it is not a problem. Surely it is not a problem as long as this class won't recieve deserved development time and your beloved mesmers, guardians or rangers will get it instead.

• Shiyo.3578Shiyo.3578 Member ✭✭✭

@GoZero.9708 said:

I love never having energy

• Mind you I don't do Arena PVP (boring 5 man competitions in tiny maps makes me want to take a nap, and not fight... ). As my PVP is WVWing, and only WVWing. Taking on multiple players and making them run back from spawn is my thing. That said... I love my rev, but wish we had the Old, Old BETA 1 MALLYX back. As that was my favorite variant of Rev. This new Rengade is simply not worth playing at all... its a total waste of time. I still play Mallyx/Hearald at present and do fairly well, I just want the old beta 1 pain absorption as that was a key component for anti condi by sending condi's back to there casters. I just wish Anet would realize that that component alone might have helped out in the reduction of the pirate ship condi kitten that was going on. By bringing back that original counter to that very meta.

• Pimsley.3681Pimsley.3681 Member ✭✭✭

I hope they didn't abandon the class because it sure feels like they did.

It's the only class with one underwater weapon. That speaks in volume how incomplete the class is.

Hope this thread gets dev visibility.

• Lonami.2987Lonami.2987 Member ✭✭✭

The revenant needs a full redesign to work. It's flawed from the very beginning, from the core profession. Until that is fixed, it won't go anywhere.

Few ideas:

• Remove energy, it's a pointless addition for those who cried about professions not having resource management. GW2 does not need that, it works for the thief by replacing cooldowns, but I doubt it would work well enough with any other combat style.
    • Remove legend-locked slot skills, and let people choose whatever they want from a list of new standalone slot skills, just like every other profession. Look for inspiration in GW1's ritualist, monk, and dervish.
    • Redesign legends to be another mechanic. It could be anything, from a transformation to a burst, but I'd personally go with a new type of pet, let's call it "the relic". It would be a non-autonomous artifact that you would control manually, just like Ventari's Tablet, but not terrible. Every legend would have one: Tome of the Rubicon for dwarf, Apocrypha for demon, Ventari's Tablet for centaur, and Jade Wind Orb for assassin. The removed legend skills would be integrated into the new F1-F2-F3 relic skills, some of which would include movement options. F4 would swap the relic. The gameplay would focus on positioning the relic correctly during the fights.
    • Add new weapons to core revenant. It's missing a lot of customization, and lack of weapon variety is a great part of that.
    • Even by ditching legend-locked slot skills, the revenant is still missing some customization. It needs a 5th core legend. My suggestion would be a Flame Legion themed legend, with the Cauldron of Cataclysm as the relic, and the Searing of Ascalon as the elite relic skill. The legendary character would be Imperator Bonfaaz Burntfur, the charr who summoned the Searing.
    • Mallyx is a really boring character. I would replace it with Varesh Ossa, who is far more cooler and interesting as a character. Mallyx is a brainless nobody anyway, and Varesh could pave the way for new dervish-like skills.
    • As for herald, each relic would have its own facet-like passive/active mechanic with a different visual design, working like an upgrade to the relics. Relic skills would be more powerful, but consume one or various facets, disabling the passive effects. Glint's relic would be a scroll with the Flameseeker Prophecies.
    • As for renegade, the relic would be disabled, and replaced by another new mechanic, "the swarm". This would work like the ranger's pet, except you would be controlling multiple minions at once. These minions would be represented by ghostly mercenaries, in case of Kalla, her warband members, who would now march and fight beside you, like a single squad.
    • The relic mechanic would remain exclusive for core revenant and herald, and future elite specializations would keep getting new mechanics. For example, a ritualist legend based on Master Togo would get spirits, which would work similar to the scourge's shades. A norn legend based on Asgeir Dragonrender could give the option of transforming into each legend, temporarily gaining new weapon skills. As you see, a healthier core profession allows stronger elite specialization design ideas.

Ideally, every profession would be redesigned more or less, but the revenant is the one who needs this redesign the most. This is just my take on it.

• Loboling.5293Loboling.5293 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2017

@GottFaust.5297 said:

@BeepBoopBop.5403 said:
    Because Anet balances on PvE.

If you're a PvE person oh boy this game is for you.

If you're a PvP person might as well leave now imo. PvP balance will always be kitten as long as balance decisions affecting EVERYONE are made based on raid boss situations.

That's not entirely true. Spellbreaker wouldn't exist if ANet didn't care about PvP or WvW at all.

You don't get it... Spellbreaker was designed to give warriors the ability to solo raids. =)

I think they really needed to give Revenants base profession skills, to give them some flexibility, so you can swap 1-2 or maybe even all the abilities in a legend. (They should give more unique buffs for the various legends, so they have more flavor outside the utility skills. (AoE Resistance on Malyx, Aoe Stability on Jalis, Group Quickness on Shiro, Protection and Regen on Ventari, Alacrity on Renegade, Aoe Vigor and short Resistance on Herald)

Now your profession can select the legends for some utility skills, and the specific buffs that the legend will do on activation. This would open up some traits for more options that aren't restricted to the legends themselves.

Once you do this, finally spend a the bit of time ot finish the Revenant for underwater combat, by allowing all legends in underwater, but limiting specific utilities. Because Revenants can now swap utilities, the reason for locking Legends underwater is gone.

Done, and we could rejoice. And with the extra trait space I mentioned earlier, I recommend focusing on condi cleanse traits. (So if a rev wanted to sacrifice a lot for condi cleanse, he'd at least have that option)

Edit: To clarify, I meant traits like Demonic Defiance, could read, gain 3 seconds of resistance when using a Demon stance skill or a base Revenant skill. So now there is a reason to slot legend traitlines with the legend. Same with Nourishing roots in Ventari, Natural Abundance, etc.

• @Pimsley.3681 said:

It's the only class with one underwater weapon. That speaks in volume how incomplete the class is.

Elementalists and engineers also get stuck with just one underwater weapon. Revenant was originally intended to not have a weapon swap. Our singular underwater weapon is a remnant of that. I'm more concerned with the fact that only two of our five legends are usable underwater. And they don't synergize well with each other.

• Revenant still feels incomplete. Lack of weapons (only 1 underwater weapon too) and having only 3 utility skills per legend makes them too rigid. Either add a couple more legends or add 1 or 2 utility skills per legend for some customization.

Energy also needs to be reworked, as posters above have said. I find I spend just as much time monitoring my small energy bar as I do watch the action on screen. Having legend swapping be the primary way to regain energy means you really have to swap legends on cooldown during combat, instead of swapping them when needed.

• Pimsley.3681Pimsley.3681 Member ✭✭✭

@Quarktastic.1027 said:

@Pimsley.3681 said:

Elementalists and engineers also get stuck with just one underwater weapon. Revenant was originally intended to not have a weapon swap. Our singular underwater weapon is a remnant of that. I'm more concerned with the fact that only two of our five legends are usable underwater. And they don't synergize well with each other.

Yes, I meant for classes that allow weapon swapping, it makes sense for ele/engie to not have a swappable under water weapon when they don’t have it on land. Rev had an underwater bug that let you swap between 2 spears of different stats.

• Yet another revenant related thread ends up in this trashcan subforum!

• Furious.2867Furious.2867 Member ✭✭✭

@Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:
    Yet another revenant related thread ends up in this trashcan subforum!

I originally posted this on the main profession page to get balance team visibility but admins beat me to it and moved it here

• Vulf.3098Vulf.3098 Member ✭✭✭

@Shonesto.2510 said:
    Energy also needs to be reworked, as posters above have said. I find I spend just as much time monitoring my small energy bar as I do watch the action on screen. Having legend swapping be the primary way to regain energy means you really have to swap legends on cooldown during combat, instead of swapping them when needed.

Energy based is fine. The problem is the steep cost on certain weapon and legend abilities. Sword and Shiro need to be looked at regarding that because the combo just feels terrible right now. Rev was never designed to default one particular Legend for a long time and that is why they force you to legend swap. In raids you swap on cd because of geomancy not because of lack of energy.

I agree that energy cost need to be looked at but I do not believe it is bad enough to warrant a rework.

• My real issue with rev isnt lack of skills its the traits i find kinda wierd half of them can be used very rarely and low damage it does and the fact its lack of sustain ( i mean proper sustains centuar stance isnt that strong to be really sustainable)