QoL sticky thread?

Ayakaru.6583

Considering how many QoL suggestions get thrown out, wouldn’t it be a good idea, and handy for the devs, to have a stickied thread for them?I tried searching for a big QoL thread, but instead you get 67 pages of small QoL compilation threads.I think it would benefit everyone to have a single QoL thread stickied to the top of the forum.

And maybe with some etiquette, as well.Format comment:Title/suggestionAdd keys to the walletReasoning/how would it workThis would clear up inventory space, and reduce the need to spread them out among alt characters. Since they are consumed, as a form of currency and not interacted with, there is little point to having them in the inventory. Of course interactible keys like the shovels and lesser nightmare keys will remain inventory items.Expected pros and consLess inventory clutter, better access accross characters.More inventory space will change the value of the Shared Slots (for better or for worse).

People can just quote the top comment with the format, fill in their information, and happy done. Comments not following the format can be ignored/deleted to make sure everyone follows it.

I don't know but I'd guess they didn't bring it back for the same reason they scrapped the Suggestions sub forum. When everything was lumped in together like that it was hard for Anet staff to find posts relevant to their work (especially since it tended to be very active so things could get pushed off the front page quickly). Apparently they prefer having suggestions seperated into the relevant forum sections as they are now.

Maybe it's the same with QoL suggestions too? After all it's not like they have a QoL department. One idea might be for the UI design people, another for the 3D moddellers, another for the storyboard guys...and so on.

@Ariurotl.3718 said:

@notebene.3190 said:I guess that says something. :/

Which is what, exactly? The number of QoL improvements over the past couple of years has been remarkably high.

I'm not unhappy with the game at all (aside for some personal 'it would be awesomes if'), didn't mean it like that. Just meant that maybe there was some sort of cost/benefit to receiving suggestions in that manner that didn't warrant them wanting to make a sticky again. Or maybe the people that gather suggestions are more apt to get them through other channels, like Reddit or some other avenue.

We barely can maintain the etiquette required to maintain the New & Returned Items thread, which has the extremely narrow goal of documenting changes to the gem shop's list of offerings. I doubt we, as a group, would be able to maintain a suggestion thread without a lot of moderation.

First, not everyone agrees with the problem statement leading to the suggestion. Second, there are often alternative suggestions that sometimes cause the original poster to rethink their idea. Third, there's no reason to imagine that the "best" QoL suggestions are the ones that get brought up all the time.

Most importantly, it's insulting to presume that ANet can't keep track of interesting suggestions. They have their own internal tracking tools and lists of priorities and they do address things, either officially or under the radar (as happened with many keys being added as currency and the material storage overhaul).

I have an alternative suggestion for the OP:

Start your own thread, compiling the QoL suggestions you think are most interesting (ideally in as neutral a way as possible, e.g. don't share your own opinion, e.g. don't editorialize except to keep things brief). And set out a short list of guidelines to help keep the goal of the thread clear.

If that thread becomes long-lived & popular, I will support your suggestion to make it a sticky, as will, I'm sure, many other posters.That is, after all, how many of the existing non-ANet stickies got started: as a regular thread that became too useful to allow it to drop from the top of the list.

I found the old QoL thread hard to sift through, though I don't know how much of that was due to the old forums' Search function not working properly. I think a [QoL] tag on post titles for specific suggestions in that vein might be a useful community culture thing, though.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:First, not everyone agrees with the problem statement leading to the suggestion. Second, there are often alternative suggestions that sometimes cause the original poster to rethink their idea. Third, there's no reason to imagine that the "best" QoL suggestions are the ones that get brought up all the time.

This is another reason I think it's better to have a separate thread for each suggestion - it allows feedback and discussion. I know some people don't like that and see anything other than "yes, I agree" as shooting the idea down, or even attacking the person who posted it, but I think it actually leads to better suggestions in the long run and a clearer sense of what the community as a whole actually wants.

@notebene.3190 said:

@notebene.3190 said:I guess that says something. :/

Which is what, exactly? The number of QoL improvements over the past couple of years has been remarkably high.

I'm not unhappy with the game at all (aside for some personal 'it would be awesomes if'), didn't mean it like that. Just meant that maybe there was some sort of cost/benefit to receiving suggestions in that manner that didn't warrant them wanting to make a sticky again. Or maybe the people that gather suggestions are more apt to get them through other channels, like Reddit or some other avenue.

Ah, my apologies then. It really does seem like a sarcastic complaint though. :p

I think that, perhaps, google documents would be a better place for this. My thought is that people want to make sure their idea is heard. This doesn't work in long threads because the information is all over the place and disorganized. We need to sort ideas so people will be able to find that their idea has already been suggested. This doesn't necessarily benefit the devs (though maybe it could). Maybe someone can start such a document. Organize it well enough, and, perhaps, the devs would consider making a post linking to different parts.

@Edelweiss.4261 said:people want to make sure their idea is heard.

This is true (and reasonable), but pretty much impossible. There's zero chance that ANet can meaningfully respond to each and every suggestion made. There's only slightly more than zero chance that they could respond to every posted idea that's popular. So we have to take them at their word that everything gets read and that they keep track of ideas internally using their own tools.

That shouldn't discourage people from proposing solutions that have already been discussed on the forums. While a new thread might be unlikely to include new ideas, not everyone who participated in older threads would be able to tell at a glance if their idea was covered.

Archived