Charr - What is the proper/nomal leveling path after 25?

altme.9780

I just finished Diessa Plateau and I am level 24 and I don't know which would be the most natural zone to go next.

Being a Charr I am thinking I'd like to remain in the Ascalon region but it seems you're not encouraged to do so since the next closest zone (Blazeridge Steppes) requires a level that I am no way closer to (levels 40–50). Now I could go to Fields of Ruin (levels 30-40) with a 5-6 level gap by going throrugh Divinty's Reach potal or by ignoring Blazeridge Steppes but that doesn't seem natural.

My personal story is not available til level 30 and once that starts it seems to go into the Shiverpeak Mountains region but that's specific to Norn.

I know that I am not forced to stay in Ascalon but I want to explore more the Charr theme/environment whereas it doesn't seem natural to explore the content this way. For the other races the paths seem to be where they should; the leveling zones overlap with the story zones thus they converge naturally to the end game.

The Charr personal story actually goes into Snowden Drifts at level 30. This part of the story splits you off anyway, it wont matter what race you actually are because the stories split off into Arcs to do with Durmand Priory, Order of Whispers or The Vigil, depending on what you decide to do.The only thing that is considered part of the race you start really is the first 1-15 level Zone.

@Linken.6345 said:By your own chart you seem ok that asura, sylvari and human share the 15-25 maps of birsban wildlands/kessex hills but dont want to be ok with norn and charr sharing snowden drift/diessa plateau why is that?

That and Mount Maelstrom is actually part of Maguuma, and is filled with Inquest, Nightmare court and Sylvari, amongst the undead of course.

I don't think there's a linear path for any race. Charr come the closest because apart from that gap at level 25 they can stay in Ascalon until level 70, maybe even level 80 (depending on how many events you do along the way). By contrast the Maguuma maps the asura and sylvari start in jump from level 25 to 45. And as you've already discovered the story will lead you all over. After level 30 it'll take you to Lion's Arch which is the central city (shared by all races) and from there it ceases to be about your race and where you go will depend on the choices you make.

I suspect it's designed this way on purpose to introduce you to two key ideas in GW2:1) Playing on lower level maps. As you might have already discovered the game uses a down-levelling system which means if you're in an area below your current level your stats are scaled down so combat is still somewhat challenging (you won't ever be able to 1-shot everything) and you get loot and XP for your level. This is important later on because you're never really finished with any map in this game, you'll find yourself returning to lower level areas all the time even for 'end game' goals and content.

2) Choosing your own path. This becomes increasingly important as you go on because the game becomes more open-ended. At level 80 you're going to find yourself with a lot of optional content and very little you have to do or are pushed into by the game. So it's good to get into that mindset early on and not worry too much about following directions or going where you're 'supposed to' go.

If you're set on staying in Ascalon then your best bet is to go down to Ebonhawk and work your way up towards Blaizeridge Steppes. (And there are a few hearts and events in Ebonhawk that require very little combat, so they could help you get the levels you're missing.) But alternatively you could go into the Shiverpeaks and get to know a bit more about the norn, or use the asura gate in the Black Citadel to go to Lion's Arch and then into Gendarren Fields. Or waypoint all the way across the map and explore Metrica and Caledon. Whatever feels the most interesting to you.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:The Charr personal story actually goes into Snowden Drifts at level 30. This part of the story splits you off anyway, it wont matter what race you actually are because the stories split off into Arcs to do with Durmand Priory, Order of Whispers or The Vigil, depending on what you decide to do.The only thing that is considered part of the race you start really is the first 1-15 level Zone.

I understand your perspective.To me, the regions leave the impression that they belong to certain races (with common zones o not) because all the zones within have (more or less) the same terrain, weather etc.

I agree with @"Danikat.8537"

• Playing on lower level maps can be fun (although that can wear off eventually)
  • You are expected to set your own path and there are many possible directions to go at each step.
  • Only the story itself is linear; everything else is up to you (and however you define the "proper" or "normal" path for your character).

@Linken.6345 said:By your own chart you seem ok that asura, sylvari and human share the 15-25 maps of birsban wildlands/kessex hills but dont want to be ok with norn and charr sharing snowden drift/diessa plateau why is that?

I have nothing with the other races (don't want to start a race war :smiley: ) and the chart is not mine (I don't recall the source).

Now that I think of what you said, Kessex Hills is for Asura like Snowden Drifts is for Charr if I relate to the end game path.The thing is, for Asura, it doesn't feel like you're leaving land unexplored.

@Danikat.8537 said:I don't think there's a linear path for any race. Charr come the closest because apart from that gap at level 25 they can stay in Ascalon until level 70, maybe even level 80 (depending on how many events you do along the way). By contrast the Maguuma maps the asura and sylvari start in jump from level 25 to 45. And as you've already discovered the story will lead you all over. After level 30 it'll take you to Lion's Arch which is the central city (shared by all races) and from there it ceases to be about your race and where you go will depend on the choices you make.

I suspect it's designed this way on purpose to introduce you to two key ideas in GW2:1) Playing on lower level maps. As you might have already discovered the game uses a down-levelling system which means if you're in an area below your current level your stats are scaled down so combat is still somewhat challenging (you won't ever be able to 1-shot everything) and you get loot and XP for your level. This is important later on because you're never really finished with any map in this game, you'll find yourself returning to lower level areas all the time even for 'end game' goals and content.

2) Choosing your own path. This becomes increasingly important as you go on because the game becomes more open-ended. At level 80 you're going to find yourself with a lot of optional content and very little you have to do or are pushed into by the game. So it's good to get into that mindset early on and not worry too much about following directions or going where you're 'supposed to' go.

If you're set on staying in Ascalon then your best bet is to go down to Ebonhawk and work your way up towards Blaizeridge Steppes. (And there are a few hearts and events in Ebonhawk that require very little combat, so they could help you get the levels you're missing.) But alternatively you could go into the Shiverpeaks and get to know a bit more about the norn, or use the asura gate in the Black Citadel to go to Lion's Arch and then into Gendarren Fields. Or waypoint all the way across the map and explore Metrica and Caledon. Whatever feels the most interesting to you.

Very insightful.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I agree with @"Danikat.8537"

• Playing on lower level maps can be fun (although that can wear off eventually)
  • You are expected to set your own path and there are many possible directions to go at each step.
  • Only the story itself is linear; everything else is up to you (and however you define the "proper" or "normal" path for your character).

Well put.

That map you posted looks more like a "suggested leveling path" than anything related to story or even region, seeing how it puts Frostgorge Sound, which is as Shiverpeaks as you can get, at the end of the Ascalon path ;) .

The personal stories in this game are, as was said above, not strongly tied to a specific path per race. Depending on the choices you make, your race story (lvl 10-30) might lead you beyond your region or even show you more of another race's identity than your own. Try the norn "drunken" storyline for example to get a thorough introduction to a charr warband that will turn up again regularly all the way into Orr.

Part of the charm of Tyria as it is presented to us is in the fact that it is very inter-racial. You'll find npc of all races all over the place, not just in their respective homelands. You will also find characters from racial stories turn up in anyone's personal story down the line. Ascalon in particular is very close (geographically) to the Shiverpeaks, and there's a good bit of crossover between Diessa and Wayfarer/Snowden as well as between Fireheart and Frostgorge in both story and landscape. It's far from a static boundary between the regions and races.

My first character in this game was (and still is ;) ) a charr, and I well remember looking around for where to go around the same level you are at. Coming from other, more traditional MMOs and single player RPGs, turning to the other regions seems somewhat unnatural, but I've come to realize that it really is the natural thing to do in this game. Don't let map borders box you in. Take a look beyond those borders, and you might be surprised to find members of your race even in far-off places.

Above all: have fun! This game really is about doing things your way, not following a progression anybody else came up with. Just go where things look interesting and enjoy yourself.

What I've found in general is that by following the story, you'll get to about 5 levels just reaching the areas and doing the story mission. The next five levels I tend to use to complete as many hero points and dailies as possible. Doing this, it takes no time at all to level up. I've never tried to limit myself to a particular racial area (in general that's a bad idea unless you want to spend a lot of time later collecting waypoints and map completion), but I'd imagine that even if you do stick to the maps where story missions take you, you should hit the next story level long before completing the maps.

@"Rasimir.6239" said:That map you posted looks more like a "suggested leveling path" than anything related to story or even region, seeing how it puts Frostgorge Sound, which is as Shiverpeaks as you can get, at the end of the Ascalon path ;) .

The personal stories in this game are, as was said above, not strongly tied to a specific path per race. Depending on the choices you make, your race story (lvl 10-30) might lead you beyond your region or even show you more of another race's identity than your own. Try the norn "drunken" storyline for example to get a thorough introduction to a charr warband that will turn up again regularly all the way into Orr.

Part of the charm of Tyria as it is presented to us is in the fact that it is very inter-racial. You'll find npc of all races all over the place, not just in their respective homelands. You will also find characters from racial stories turn up in anyone's personal story down the line. Ascalon in particular is very close (geographically) to the Shiverpeaks, and there's a good bit of crossover between Diessa and Wayfarer/Snowden as well as between Fireheart and Frostgorge in both story and landscape. It's far from a static boundary between the regions and races.

My first character in this game was (and still is ;) ) a charr, and I well remember looking around for where to go around the same level you are at. Coming from other, more traditional MMOs and single player RPGs, turning to the other regions seems somewhat unnatural, but I've come to realize that it really is the natural thing to do in this game. Don't let map borders box you in. Take a look beyond those borders, and you might be surprised to find members of your race even in far-off places.

Above all: have fun! This game really is about doing things your way, not following a progression anybody else came up with. Just go where things look interesting and enjoy yourself.

Good reading :+1:I think I still am a bit plagued by the old mmorpg style.

@Biff.5312 said:What I've found in general is that by following the story, you'll get to about 5 levels just reaching the areas and doing the story mission. The next five levels I tend to use to complete as many hero points and dailies as possible. Doing this, it takes no time at all to level up. I've never tried to limit myself to a particular racial area (in general that's a bad idea unless you want to spend a lot of time later collecting waypoints and map completion), but I'd imagine that even if you do stick to the maps where story missions take you, you should hit the next story level long before completing the maps.

That's a good approach and with what Pretty Pixie.8603 said leveling and reaching the endgame should not involve a static path it just needs getting used to the unique gw2 style.

I've been down this kind of path once but when I realised that all the areas are kinda interconnected and joined with each other, that there is no real "path" that you should be taking. Sometimes it takes you into lands not your own, and by rights it's actually quite okay. I think what got me to understanding that, is how the game defines certain areas -- "Maguuma Jungle" consists of Metrica, Caledon Forest, Brisban Wildlands, Sparkfly Fen and Mt. Maelstrom. In order to get to Mt. Maelstrom, you have to get through at least Krytan territory - Bloodtide Coast - to get to Sparkfly; however, if you're particularly adventurous, you go through Shiverpeaks which has Lornar's Pass and Timberline Falls.

Back in my first days, I assumed I had to stick to my lands. When you discover that it is very much not the case, it widens a lot of area for you. So don't feel afraid to explore a place that doesn't 'feel' your own -- you'll find that it kinda broadens your insight as to how the map system works.

I didn't even get that far - for some reason I felt like it was a major dilemma to have to choose between 100% completion of the 1-15 map before going elsewhere or going to the next map when my story told me to. (This was back before the story was divided into chapters - so you would start what's now the level 20 storyline at just over level 10.) I think I was worried it'd be like some single-player games where if you don't do all the side quests before progressing the main story you might not be able to finish them.

@Danikat.8537 said:I didn't even get that far - for some reason I felt like it was a major dilemma to have to choose between 100% completion of the 1-15 map before going elsewhere or going to the next map when my story told me to. (This was back before the story was divided into chapters - so you would start what's now the level 20 storyline at just over level 10.) I think I was worried it'd be like some single-player games where if you don't do all the side quests before progressing the main story you might not be able to finish them.

That happened with me as well. I wound up deciding to complete the first map only, and after that to leave map completion for a lvl 80 task to set myself.

Now when I make a new toon I bounce from zone to zone, collecting hero points and waypoints, so that by the time I'm allowed to select my extra skill set I've got the points to take whatever I want.

Archived