Is power war back in PvE ?

Chaarliee.2307

It's technically workable, but only under ideal circumstances. Greatsword still has all the flaws that it's had since its inception., as do most Warrior abilities. Slow, clunky to use abilities that all have mediocre weight and are easily interruptable with the keyboard mashing gameplay. Furthermore 100 Blades is still broken beyond belief with Quickness, more often than not refusing to strike the final blow which contains the most damage, or at least missing one from the flurry.

For open world PVE it's not as great as so many other classes that have gotten improvements the past couple years. The lack of condition clears without sacrificing a bunch of core damage elements leaves it it painfully weak against a lot of enemies that have gotten a lot more spongy. Furthermore most of them swarm more often, making 100 Blades more dangerous to the user than the targets you're trying to hit since you're 100% immobile, hits only 3 targets, and has a slow channel time before the recharge ever kicks in. This is in contrast to Guardian who not only has a mobile greatsword attack, but has pulls and additional utilities as well that aren't as target-restrictive. Needless to say, while Warrior is still functional, it still suffers a ton of archaic design. There's only so much changing the numbers can fix, and changing 100 blades to do more damage alone won't solve anything except on DPS golems.

@Lyros.4673 said:It's technically workable, but only under ideal circumstances. Greatsword still has all the flaws that it's had since its inception., as do most Warrior abilities. Slow, clunky to use abilities that all have mediocre weight and are easily interruptable with the keyboard mashing gameplay. Furthermore 100 Blades is still broken beyond belief with Quickness, more often than not refusing to strike the final blow which contains the most damage, or at least missing one from the flurry.

For open world PVE it's not as great as so many other classes that have gotten improvements the past couple years. The lack of condition clears without sacrificing a bunch of core damage elements leaves it it painfully weak against a lot of enemies that have gotten a lot more spongy. Furthermore most of them swarm more often, making 100 Blades more dangerous to the user than the targets you're trying to hit since you're 100% immobile, hits only 3 targets, and has a slow channel time before the recharge ever kicks in. This is in contrast to Guardian who not only has a mobile greatsword attack, but has pulls and additional utilities as well that aren't as target-restrictive. Needless to say, while Warrior is still functional, it still suffers a ton of archaic design. There's only so much changing the numbers can fix, and changing 100 blades to do more damage alone won't solve anything except on DPS golems.

Basically this. You have to be careful not being tunnel visioned with golem DPS. Practical DPS is important, cleave, moving dps etc. Condi is just far superior, less clunky and relies a lot less on having the right situation/position. It's a gameplay issue, and just upping the damage isn't going to solve it - though any buffs for power warrior is appreciated. GS gameplay with channel/cast times IMO needs to be a lot smoother.

@Despond.2174 said:

@Lyros.4673 said:It's technically workable, but only under ideal circumstances. Greatsword still has all the flaws that it's had since its inception., as do most Warrior abilities. Slow, clunky to use abilities that all have mediocre weight and are easily interruptable with the keyboard mashing gameplay. Furthermore 100 Blades is still broken beyond belief with Quickness, more often than not refusing to strike the final blow which contains the most damage, or at least missing one from the flurry.

Basically this. You have to be careful not being tunnel visioned with golem DPS. Practical DPS is important, cleave, moving dps etc. Condi is just far superior, less clunky and relies a lot less on having the right situation/position. It's a gameplay issue, and just upping the damage isn't going to solve it - though any buffs for power warrior is appreciated. GS gameplay with channel/cast times IMO needs to be a lot smoother.

Once you get more experienced playing Power Spellbreaker in actual structured PvE, Hundred Blades usage isn't a big deal. You will know when to use it and when not to. That being said, Hundred Blades could still use an update. Whirling Axes is the best power cleave in the game, anyway.

I think spellbreaker is ok on certain bosses. Like gors; he doesn't move so you can freely 100 blades or whatever and the fact that you're power makes you more effective at killing the strolling spitits. The cc from the physical elite is nice to. Probably wouldn't take it against SH but honestly not everything should work against everything.

@Flauvious.6195 said:I think spellbreaker is ok on certain bosses. Like gors; he doesn't move so you can freely 100 blades or whatever and the fact that you're power makes you more effective at killing the strolling spitits. The cc from the physical elite is nice to. Probably wouldn't take it against SH but honestly not everything should work against everything.

To be honest, the Hundred Blades rooting problem isn't an issue. You just need to pay attention to mechanics. If a Staff Weaver can get off a full Meteor Shower, you can get off Hundred Blades. I ran Spellbreaker last night through W1-2 with no issue. You can Full Counter a lot of things and maintain 5 stacks of Attacker's Insight. I was top DPS on every encounter, including Vale Guardian and Matthias, which are heavy movement fights, even while making some rotational mistakes due to inexperience in an actual combat setting. Some big numbers were 100k Hundred Blades and 150k Whirling Axe hits when executed properly.

@Mikeskies.1536 said:

@"Flauvious.6195" said:I think spellbreaker is ok on certain bosses. Like gors; he doesn't move so you can freely 100 blades or whatever and the fact that you're power makes you more effective at killing the strolling spitits. The cc from the physical elite is nice to. Probably wouldn't take it against SH but honestly not everything should work against everything.

To be honest, the Hundred Blades rooting problem isn't an issue. You just need to pay attention to mechanics. If a Staff Weaver can get off a full Meteor Shower, you can get off Hundred Blades. I ran Spellbreaker last night through W1-2 with no issue. You can Full Counter a lot of things and maintain 5 stacks of Attacker's Insight. I was top DPS on every encounter, including Vale Guardian and Matthias, which are heavy movement fights, even while making some rotational mistakes due to inexperience in an actual combat setting. Some big numbers were 100k Hundred Blades and 150k Whirling Axe hits when executed properly.

Then let's compare Meteor Shower with 100 Blades because I think this misses my earlier point with Power Warrior GS. And no, I'm not talking DPS golems, I'm talking just plain regular gameplay.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses but the two skills are used for completely different scenarios. 100 blades is one of the major damage components on low CD for Greatsword. It's more or less the defacto damage skill of the weapon. Meanwhile, Meteor Storm is sort of a semi-ultimate ability that's less for single targets (minus gigantic hitboxes) and more for just area destruction. You're not going to be using meteor storm against most mooks you engage. However, with 100B you're almost always going to be using it on anything you come across, be it open world trash or raid bosses.

Under raid conditions it's not hard to exactly focus on one enemy because they're typically immobile or have a zerg holding them down. With regular gameplay, it's sitting back and hoping that the NPC's AI doesn't wander behind you because their pathfinding has like a half a second delay before it re-detects you. Then add in three or four more enemies, it can be increasingly difficult to manage how and where they come from. Let's reiterate the major points. Archaic, godawful cleave (3 enemies) with awful range (130, same as a regular auto-attack), immobility and a slow channel (3.5 seconds) (and comparing it to the axe, GS loses in pretty much every aspect, including damage except for cooldowns, but I suppose as a raider that'd be irrelevant due to rotations). Meteor Storm on the other hand can be cast at range with a lower channel time, resulting in less exposure to enemies with no technical limit on the cleaving due to its AOE capacity. Not to mention that Staff Ele has so much more going for it than any Greatsword weilding Warrior. Which, to reiterate, has not even half the available skills of an elementalist at any given time, no utility and requires abusing a brief 33%+ damage modifier to even make it competitive in raids. That just means 100B (and frankly the rest of warrior) is that much worse outside of raids without sacrificing the Warrior's already limited skillbar for physical skills.

The two are nothing alike and should not be compared in "regular" gameplay scenarios as raids are only under the guise of the most optimal conditions. Needless to say, it's god awful balance if balance decisions are crafted solely around meta, but that's another discussion entirely. 100 blades sucks outside of being a human macro while spreadsheeting DPS values. We could replace all the abilities with variations of straight damage skills on cooldowns with no utility and raiders would still call it acceptable as long as it was capable of maintaining a theoretical maximum damage value. I guess that's what happens when a lot of the raid bosses are just glorified DPS golems, where it's easy to reach theoretical effectiveness when a game should be far, far more dynamic then that.

@Lyros.4673 said:

@"Flauvious.6195" said:I think spellbreaker is ok on certain bosses. Like gors; he doesn't move so you can freely 100 blades or whatever and the fact that you're power makes you more effective at killing the strolling spitits. The cc from the physical elite is nice to. Probably wouldn't take it against SH but honestly not everything should work against everything.

Then let's compare Meteor Shower with 100 Blades because I think this misses my earlier point with Power Warrior GS. And no, I'm not talking DPS golems, I'm talking just plain regular gameplay.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses but the two skills are used for completely different scenarios. 100 blades is one of the major damage components on low CD for Greatsword. It's more or less the defacto damage skill of the weapon. Meanwhile, Meteor Storm is sort of a semi-ultimate ability that's less for single targets (minus gigantic hitboxes) and more for just area destruction. You're not going to be using meteor storm against most mooks you engage. However, with 100B you're almost always going to be using it on anything you come across, be it open world trash or raid bosses.

Under raid conditions it's not hard to exactly focus on one enemy because they're typically immobile or have a zerg holding them down. With regular gameplay, it's sitting back and hoping that the NPC's AI doesn't wander behind you because their pathfinding has like a half a second delay before it re-detects you. Then add in three or four more enemies, it can be increasingly difficult to manage how and where they come from. Let's reiterate the major points. Archaic, godawful cleave (3 enemies) with awful range (130, same as a regular auto-attack), immobility and a slow channel (3.5 seconds) (and comparing it to the axe, GS loses in pretty much every aspect, including damage except for cooldowns, but I suppose as a raider that'd be irrelevant due to rotations). Meteor Storm on the other hand can be cast
at range
with a lower channel time, resulting in less exposure to enemies with no technical limit on the cleaving due to its AOE capacity. Not to mention that Staff Ele has so much more going for it than any Greatsword weilding Warrior. Which, to reiterate, has not even half the available skills of an elementalist at any given time, no utility and requires abusing a brief 33%+ damage modifier to even make it competitive in raids. That just means 100B (and frankly the rest of warrior) is that much worse outside of raids without sacrificing the Warrior's already limited skillbar for physical skills.

The two are nothing alike and should not be compared in "regular" gameplay scenarios as raids are only under the guise of the most optimal conditions. Needless to say, it's god awful balance if balance decisions are crafted solely around meta, but that's another discussion entirely. 100 blades sucks outside of being a human macro while spreadsheeting DPS values. We could replace all the abilities with variations of straight damage skills on cooldowns with no utility and raiders would still call it acceptable as long as it was capable of maintaining a theoretical maximum damage value. I guess that's what happens when a lot of the raid bosses are just glorified DPS golems, where it's easy to reach theoretical effectiveness when a game should be far, far more dynamic then that.

In regular gameplay scenarios, things die so fast you don't even need to cast Hundred Blades. Power Warrior finally has a "meta"-build, which this forum has constantly complained about. Now that is has happened, still not satisfied. There are 5 GS skills, each has their own use.

I main warrior for years now and like to make my character self sustainable. I use core warrior. Strength for GS might and regen. Defense for cleanse, cull of the weak and armored attack. Discipline for regular PvE (I use pretty much same build for PvP with different skills and a few trait changes) and tactics for Fractals if there is no might stacking and if there is another banner War. My gear is Knight's with rune of strength (will be demolisher once they release that for PvE) Mara GS and berserker for double axes, berserker everything else for trinkets and what not. 21k health, 3k defense, base 2700 attack, with might easily over 3k (100 blades hits 27k-31k consistantly and whirling axe hits up to 40k once at 25 stacks of might which usually only happens in a boss fight since it takes a weapon swap to hit 25 might. But when else do you need that much damage?) and my crit chance when using a banner hits 103%. My uptime for fury and might is over 100%. The stack duration for both keep going up. Some boss fights I'm over 2 minutes of fury. And might just stacks so quickly with the right sigils and rotation. War by far is the best all PvE content. I hit like a truck and its very hard to die.

@WhiteBoyWill.3157 said:I main warrior for years now and like to make my character self sustainable. I use core warrior. Strength for GS might and regen. Defense for cleanse, cull of the weak and armored attack. Discipline for regular PvE (I use pretty much same build for PvP with different skills and a few trait changes) and tactics for Fractals if there is no might stacking and if there is another banner War. My gear is Knight's with rune of strength (will be demolisher once they release that for PvE) Mara GS and berserker for double axes, berserker everything else for trinkets and what not. 21k health, 3k defense, base 2700 attack, with might easily over 3k (100 blades hits 27k-31k consistantly and whirling axe hits up to 40k once at 25 stacks of might which usually only happens in a boss fight since it takes a weapon swap to hit 25 might. But when else do you need that much damage?) and my crit chance when using a banner hits 103%. My uptime for fury and might is over 100%. The stack duration for both keep going up. Some boss fights I'm over 2 minutes of fury. And might just stacks so quickly with the right sigils and rotation. War by far is the best all PvE content. I hit like a truck and its very hard to die.

Do you use this even on T4s and 100CMs? I've been enjoying core warrior (no pof yet, only HoT) along with mesmer but I feel that warrior is simpler to go with in pve. So, I'm looking to make it into a Fractal runner (including the highest level fractals) besides general PvE. I use zerkers on armor, weapons and marauder's on trinkets though.

@Jinn Galen.2468 said:

@WhiteBoyWill.3157 said:I main warrior for years now and like to make my character self sustainable. I use core warrior. Strength for GS might and regen. Defense for cleanse, cull of the weak and armored attack. Discipline for regular PvE (I use pretty much same build for PvP with different skills and a few trait changes) and tactics for Fractals if there is no might stacking and if there is another banner War. My gear is Knight's with rune of strength (will be demolisher once they release that for PvE) Mara GS and berserker for double axes, berserker everything else for trinkets and what not. 21k health, 3k defense, base 2700 attack, with might easily over 3k (100 blades hits 27k-31k consistantly and whirling axe hits up to 40k once at 25 stacks of might which usually only happens in a boss fight since it takes a weapon swap to hit 25 might. But when else do you need that much damage?) and my crit chance when using a banner hits 103%. My uptime for fury and might is over 100%. The stack duration for both keep going up. Some boss fights I'm over 2 minutes of fury. And might just stacks so quickly with the right sigils and rotation. War by far is the best all PvE content. I hit like a truck and its very hard to die.

Do you use this even on T4s and 100CMs? I've been enjoying core warrior (no pof yet, only HoT) along with mesmer but I feel that warrior is simpler to go with in pve. So, I'm looking to make it into a Fractal runner (including the highest level fractals) besides general PvE. I use zerkers on armor, weapons and marauder's on trinkets though.

Yes, Spellbreaker is very good in fractals and can be run as DPS or Banners/Tactics. Boon removal is very nice.

@Jinn Galen.2468 said:

Yes, Spellbreaker is very good in fractals and can be run as DPS or Banners/Tactics. Boon removal is very nice.

Oh sorry. I was thinking of running core warrior, even if it's just the old banners build. I don't have PoF yet (I'm saving up for some RL stuff so I can't buy PoF atm) so no spell breaker.

It is usable. Snowcrows has a build for it.

My bad for long response time. Currently im in t2 almost t3 because of agony and lack of ascended armor pieces. I find warrior the inbetween jack of all trades class. Not the hardest hitting, but really good with mace shield stuns and survivability. You can do really good damage and not worry about getting killed by the fractal boss just looking your way like other classes. I find it the most fun

Archived