Why is Anet playing with us like that?

Michram.6853

I mean they still remind us about Scarlet in some slight ways. I am not saying she's back, but since the story recap for announcing Season 4 they started with the attack on Lion's Arch and the following events. Then in Aurene's vision we could see a figure looking a bit like Scarlet, and in the newly released trailer the announcer asura in the Lab sounded a bit like Scarlet, but it isn't Tara Strong's voice.

All I want to tell is they keep give us signs, not even signs, but something intriguing.Do they make it for a purpose or what? Am I reading too much into it?

EDIT: And again, in one of A Bug in the System locations there is a holo showing the Breachmaker... Very interesting.

There was no attack on Lion's Arch. There was no figure that looked like Scarlet in the vision. And that asura sounded like a generic female asura; there was nothing Scarlet-like about it beyond "voice over an intercom". Which the Inquest and other asura had long before Scarlet.

Honestly, I was reminded more of the CoE explorable PA system instead. The cafeteria is now closed.

There has been no reminders of Scarlet beyond apparent cases of pareidolia and similar mental functions.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:There was no attack on Lion's Arch. There was no figure that looked like Scarlet in the vision. And that asura sounded like a generic female asura; there was nothing Scarlet-like about it beyond "voice over an intercom". Which the Inquest and other asura had long before Scarlet.

Honestly, I was reminded more of the CoE explorable PA system instead. The cafeteria is now closed.

There has been no reminders of Scarlet beyond apparent cases of pareidolia and similar mental functions.

Wait...Are you mocking me?There wasn't any attack on Lion's Arch? I guess I misinterpreted the ships shooting straight into the portals and the destruction of a lion at the center, oh and the people screaming all around the city.

Scarlet is dead and I got that ~4 years ago. I in a contrary am not certain about anything- including a rising from the dead of somebody dead, because it's a fantasy game, based on magic and another rules than in our world. I just want to say: never be so sure about anything. ;)

@Arden.7480 said:Wait...Are you mocking me?There wasn't any attack on Lion's Arch? I guess I misinterpreted the ships shooting straight into the portals and the destruction of a lion at the center, oh and the people screaming all around the city.

There was no attack since Scarlet attacked Lion's Arch, which your OP implied with constantly talking about "reminders of Scarlet since her relevance to the plot ended".

@Arden.7480 said:Scarlet is dead and I got that ~4 years ago. I in a contrary am not certain about anything- including a rising from the dead of somebody dead, because it's a fantasy game, based on magic and another rules than in our world. I just want to say: never be so sure about anything. ;)

Thing is, ArenaNet had heavily established that resurrection ceased to be, and that sylvari corpses decay almost immediately. So bringing her back in any form other than a ghost would need a lot of lore bending to make sense (and the constant lore bending was half of the lore community's complaints about her). And that ignores the fact that Scarlet's body was left on the Breachmaker when it exploded, and even if it somehow survived that the people of Lion's Arch would have done worse things to it than Krytans did to Oswald Thorn.

Furthermore, the best reason for Scarlet - a highly character who was highly hated by the vocal majority when she was alive - to come back would have been Mordremoth and his ability to transfer the minds of his minions into new bodies (as seen most evidently with the Mordrem Guard Commanders. Yet they didn't. I think they've acknowledged that most people simply don't want her back.

@Arden.7480 said:Wait...Are you mocking me?There wasn't any attack on Lion's Arch? I guess I misinterpreted the ships shooting straight into the portals and the destruction of a lion at the center, oh and the people screaming all around the city.Are you talking about the promo trailer for all of Season 4? That was 95% recap of ALL of the Living Story to remind us what happened. There was no NEW attack on Lion's Arch, that was Scarlet's attack replayed. If you're using that as your basis of arguments, throw it out as there was almost nothing new in any of that.

A ghost is just a soul trapped in Tyria, either through natural or magical means. So long as one has a soul, they can become a ghost. While it was questionable for some time, PoF proved sylvari have souls.

This of course ignores things like the ghostly cannons, minions, trebuchets, and gold that we see Foefire and pirate ghosts create.

That said, the chances of Scarlet being a ghost in Tyria is pretty damn slim, unless she was brought back by external forces ala Shiro Tagachi.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:This of course ignores things like the ghostly cannons, minions, trebuchets, and gold that we see Foefire and pirate ghosts create.

That said, the chances of Scarlet being a ghost in Tyria is pretty kitten slim, unless she was brought back by external forces ala Shiro Tagachi.The Foefire thing might be explained away by some magical foo related to the Foefire itself. I don't remember ghost pirates, but it might be that aggressive spirits are capable of building weapons they once used in a place as an extension of their own ghostliness. Overall, though, it's probably just an excuse to let ghosts use that weaponry and not explain how they can move actual cannons and trebuchets so easily.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:That said, the chances of Scarlet being a ghost in Tyria is pretty kitten slim, unless she was brought back by external forces ala Shiro Tagachi.I can see the new Revenant elite now: Legendary Mary Sue. (Yes, I know Shiro was revived during Factions, but that's where my mind went.)

@Yereton.8647 said:Can sylvari even become ghosts? I mean we know they go to the Underworld (or at the very least the Domain of the Lost, but does that inherently mean they can become ghosts too?Ghosts are a really tricky thing. So far, there are very few non-human ghosts anywhere in Tyria. The only ones I can think of, outside of the Domain of the Lost, are in the southernmost point of Orr, where there's a norn ghost. I can't recall ghost charr, and asura from the past tend to leave holograms with their personality, not ghosts.

@Rognik.2579 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:This of course ignores things like the ghostly cannons, minions, trebuchets, and gold that we see Foefire and pirate ghosts create.

That said, the chances of Scarlet being a ghost in Tyria is pretty kitten slim, unless she was brought back by external forces ala Shiro Tagachi.The Foefire thing might be explained away by some magical foo related to the Foefire itself. I don't remember ghost pirates, but it might be that aggressive spirits are capable of building weapons they once used in a place as an extension of their own ghostliness. Overall, though, it's probably just an excuse to let ghosts use that weaponry and not explain how they can move actual cannons and trebuchets so easily.

The trouble, though, is that Ascalon didn't have cannons at the time of the Foefire.

@Yereton.8647 said:Can sylvari even become ghosts? I mean we know they go to the Underworld (or at the very least the Domain of the Lost, but does that inherently mean they can become ghosts too?Ghosts are a really tricky thing. So far, there are very few non-human ghosts anywhere in Tyria. The only ones I can think of, outside of the Domain of the Lost, are in the southernmost point of Orr, where there's a norn ghost. I can't recall ghost charr, and asura from the past tend to leave holograms with their personality, not ghosts.

Off the top of my head, there are charr ghosts in the Helion Forest in southeast Iron Marches, Oola's ghost in Metrica Province, jotun ghosts in hero challenges and the PS, a quaggan ghost in Bitterfrost, a giant ghost in the Desolation, even a scattering of cow and cat and dolyak and hawk ghosts. And, of course, most of the ghost pirate crews (the jumping puzzles in Gendarren and Harathi, the north end of Bloodtide, and I think an all-human bunch in northern Sparkfly) are an even mix of human, charr, asura, and norn.

On the whole, human ghosts certainly outnumber the rest, but not any further than existing in the playable maps for several hundred years longer than the others and a propensity for magical disasters could account for.

@Aaron Ansari.1604The trouble, though, is that Ascalon didn't have cannons at the time of the Foefire.

If we look at RL as inspiration, by the 14th century we had rudimentary cannons in Europe, and even earlier in China. They were basically giant cast iron (or bronze) tubes, so very unlike the ghostly ones we see in GW2. So we can say, if we compare the GW1 (and maybe a little further past Beyond) era, to an equivalent RL era, it could be around the early 14th century (we can see that in the weaponry and armour skins available in GW1, especially in Prophecies). Ergo, artillery existed, albeit very rudimentary and in very few number and fairly far in between.

And perhaps the reason the ghost cannons in GW2 look like demi-culverins of a much newer era, is because ANet was unwilling to make a whole new model to look like an early culverin or bombard. Or we can just pen it to their ignorance to the history of firearms in general (which we can see since most 'rifles' in GW2 are not rifles, instead they are muskets, AND they mix a few skins which seem to be breech loaded rifles and revolvers, which completely makes muskets defunct, leading to a lot of anachronism. I won't even start with the sights available to some of those in rifle skins).

Alternatively, the answer could simply be 'Magic'. That despite being 'stuck in time', the ghosts did evolve slightly, taking new ideas. Though I am more likely to believe the above explanation

@Yereton.8647 said:

@Aaron Ansari.1604The trouble, though, is that Ascalon didn't have cannons at the time of the Foefire.

If we look at RL as inspiration, by the 14th century we had rudimentary cannons in Europe, and even earlier in China. They were basically giant cast iron (or bronze) tubes, so very unlike the ghostly ones we see in GW2. So we can say, if we compare the GW1 (and maybe a little further past Beyond) era, to an equivalent RL era, it could be around the early 14th century (we can see that in the weaponry and armour skins available in GW1, especially in Prophecies). Ergo, artillery existed, albeit very rudimentary and in very few number and fairly far in between.

One problem with that- we get an extensive look at Ascalon's military technologies in GW1. Cannons were emphatically not part of that, and the Searing would've frozen any advancement towards that direction in its tracks. For them to be present at the time of the Foefire, an extremely unlikely series of events would've had to occur at a time when the kingdom was burned to the ground and barely scraping enough together to survive- not the sort of time for experimentation and mass production leading to a more sophisticated level of technology, or for a notoriously inward-facing king to import the weapons over vast distances and large stretches of wilderness from a nation across the seas with its own catastrophes and growing isolationist sentiment.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe it's an anachronism, a simple mistake that'd be more trouble than it's worth to fix. It's something ANet has done in the past- one of the Orrian risen varieties had a pistol for quite some time, which the devs implicitly acknowledged as a mistake by changing to a second sword.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

One problem with that- we get an extensive look at Ascalon's military technologies in GW1. Cannons were emphatically not part of that, and the Searing would've frozen any advancement towards that direction in its tracks. For them to be present at the time of the Foefire, an extremely unlikely series of events would've had to occur at a time when the kingdom was burned to the ground and barely scraping enough together to survive- not the sort of time for experimentation and mass production leading to a more sophisticated level of technology, or for a notoriously inward-facing king to import the weapons over vast distances and large stretches of wilderness from a nation across the seas with its own catastrophes and growing isolationist sentiment.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe it's an anachronism, a simple mistake that'd be more trouble than it's worth to fix. It's something ANet has done in the past- one of the Orrian risen varieties had a pistol for quite some time, which the devs implicitly acknowledged as a mistake by changing to a second sword.

Then there is that. The simplest and most convenient reasoning is that it was just a mistake, and should be overlooked in the grand scheme of things. Thanks for the insight :)

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:There has been no reminders of Scarlet beyond apparent cases of pareidolia and similar mental functions.

I disagree with you here. Although you are correct that there is no indication at all that this has anything to do with Scarlet (not even in the slightest distance), but the colour locale of the second part of the trailer is very simular to that of the Scarlet episodes. This absolutly does not mean she is involved at all, but putting it away as Pareidolia is kinda meh.

In that way it makes sense to discuss the direction of the story. The scarlet story arc was something people either hated or loved. I personally loved the Scarlet arc and like the tone of the trailer as well.

Last point, is something I asked a long time ago and got answered (it was on a predecessor of Guildcab), if there are any remaining bases of Scarlet in the world, we havent found yet, and the answer was that there might be. Sorry, for not having a quote. I can look for it, but it means going through hours and hours of footage.

@Randulf.7614 said:Scarlet, like Abaddon is gone. Finished. Dealt with. Forever. If we see her again, it's will be as part of a recap or reissue of ls1 in the story journal or via fractals.

They killed her off for a reason - the community by and large hated her.

Abaddon is alive and is coming back bro. You think because we killed a giant floating head in GW1 he is gone for ever? He was the god of magic and secrets he is coming back for sure to take revenge. Praise Abaddon ?

I'm sorry Scarlet can't come back and she shouldn't imo. I understand what you're saying though, I started getting memories of season 1 with this latest trailer. It makes sense thematically because Scarlet definitely worked with the Inquest. In another retelling of the story Scarlet could have easily been a mad Asura obsessed with dragonic energies and woke Mordremoth up for research purposes.

The song remix, awesome. It was included though as a sort of reminder of what we are playing as well as a suggestion of the sinister side of Joko perhaps? "Who needs the light?" Hey and Joko backstory Arenanet let's go!

@Theros.1390 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Scarlet, like Abaddon is gone. Finished. Dealt with. Forever.

Scarlet is dead yea... we'll never see her again.

Oh wait... what's Joko's power already ?

I doubt the body is fit for reawakening after the Breachmaker was destroyed. Even if it is, why would Joko (or any of his minions) travel into the heart of one of the best defended, heaviest populated areas, to an underwater wreck to revive a single corpse? That seems beneath him and strategically foolish

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

There is the possibility that in the 12 years between our last contact with Ascalon and the Foefire (from 1078 AE to 1090 AE - though one may make the argument for even 1072 AE, as in EotN there's just one quest with Gwen, not at military forefront, and in WiK/HotN the only change was Evennia's temporary presence) that canons were invented and scavenged from the charr, thus used by Ascalonians.

That said, kind of hard to place that behind the Foefire given the Fort Cadence ghosts having cannons, ale kegs, and treasure all in ghostly form.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:There has been no reminders of Scarlet beyond apparent cases of
and similar mental functions.

I disagree with you here. Although you are correct that there is no indication at all that this has anything to do with Scarlet (not even in the slightest distance), but the colour locale of the second part of the trailer is very simular to that of the Scarlet episodes. This absolutly does not mean she is involved at all, but putting it away as Pareidolia is kinda meh.

In that way it makes sense to discuss the direction of the story. The scarlet story arc was something people either hated or loved. I personally loved the Scarlet arc and like the tone of the trailer as well.

Color palette?

It's Inquest red. Every single one of their bases, weapons, and outfits are red.

Has nothing to do with Scarlet.

And the pareidolia bit was more in reference to the "Scarlet silhouette" from the vision in Daybreak, given that it was surrounded by the same silhouettes of Awakened Soldiers, but not washed out by bright light. Though there are people seeing Scarlet left and right when there's far more plausible explanations.

Might as well start hearing her laughter come out of the toast burns.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:Last point, is something I asked a long time ago and got answered (it was on a predecessor of Guildcab), if there are any remaining bases of Scarlet in the world, we havent found yet, and the answer was that there might be. Sorry, for not having a quote. I can look for it, but it means going through hours and hours of footage.

And we found them. In Dry Top.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

There is the possibility that in the 12 years between our last contact with Ascalon and the Foefire (from 1078 AE to 1090 AE - though one may make the argument for even 1072 AE, as in EotN there's just one quest with Gwen, not at military forefront, and in WiK/HotN the only change was Evennia's temporary presence) that canons were invented and scavenged from the charr, thus used by Ascalonians.

That said, kind of hard to place that behind the Foefire given the Fort Cadence ghosts having cannons, ale kegs, and treasure all in ghostly form.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:There has been no reminders of Scarlet beyond apparent cases of
and similar mental functions.

Color palette?

It's
Inquest red
. Every single one of their bases, weapons, and outfits are red.

Has nothing to do with Scarlet.

And the pareidolia bit was more in reference to the "Scarlet silhouette" from the vision in Daybreak, given that it was surrounded by the same silhouettes of Awakened Soldiers, but not washed out by bright light. Though there are people seeing Scarlet left and right when there's far more plausible explanations.

Might as well start hearing her laughter come out of the toast burns.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:Last point, is something I asked a long time ago and got answered (it was on a predecessor of Guildcab), if there are any remaining bases of Scarlet in the world, we havent found yet, and the answer was that there might be. Sorry, for not having a quote. I can look for it, but it means going through hours and hours of footage.

And we found them. In Dry Top.

Colour locale has nothing to do with the colour, or the laugh or any individual trait. It has to do with the entire atmosphere of the scene.Also the questions asked was after drytop.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

There are also examples of cannons used by humans in GW1 - the cannons mounted on Siege Turtles for instance, and possibly the bombards outside Dzagonur Bastion. It's possible that, despite Adelbern's isolationism, some of these weapons made it to Ascalon before the Foefire. After all, for all his paranoia, accepting weapons from other human nations doesn't carry the risks that allowing them to send armies would, and it wouldn't surprise me if the other human nations were doing whatever Adelbern would allow them to do to prop Ascalon up.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

There are also examples of cannons used by humans in GW1 - the cannons mounted on Siege Turtles for instance, and possibly the bombards outside Dzagonur Bastion. It's possible that, despite Adelbern's isolationism, some of these weapons made it to Ascalon before the Foefire. After all, for all his paranoia, accepting weapons from other human nations doesn't carry the risks that allowing them to send armies would, and it wouldn't surprise me if the other human nations were doing whatever Adelbern would allow them to do to prop Ascalon up.

I'm not so sure about that. Kryta, maybe, but we know what Adelbern's opinions were on anything Krytan. But Kourna? Vabbi? Cantha? What's the war against the charr mean to them? After all, I can't think of a single NPC in Factions or Nightfall, save maybe for Devona and company, who even expresses an awareness that there is a war going on in Ascalon.

And that's not to mention their own troubles- Cantha's plague started up just two years after the Searing, and transitioned directly from the fallout of that into the Ministry of Purity and the cultural shift back towards isolation they brought on. Elona may be a better prospect, insofar as their crisis was shorter, and we are told that the Sunspears spread beyond the nation's borders for a short time before Joko returned to the scene... but the Elonian bombards are also a far, far cry from the miniaturized cannons we see the ghosts using. The Kournan version doesn't even seem to use gunpowder as a propellant- it's essentially a modified catapult that punts a payload instead of launching it- and the Vabbian version is both massive and clearly magical.

Archived