Disappointed about Preorder

First I am very disappointed to see items that used to be included in the packages instead reserved only for preorder. I just got on here to purchase the new expansion only to find out that I have missed the preorder window by 1.5 hours. Since when does a game expansion launch early in the day? I do not appreciate tactics used to push me into an earlier purchase then I am ready to make. Now that I will not get the preorder items there is really no reason to purchase at full price anymore. I guess I will just wait for the expansion to go on sale 6 months down the road or something. This is the result of offering timed exclusive items, if I can no longer get them then why purchase?

The point I really want to express is Do Not try to force players to purchase something on your artificial time schedule and Do Not punish those who can not by removing items that were previously available in a similar purchase.

Me 2. I am also very upset that I am not allow to get preorder items in a later time. What was offered for all pre-orders I am entitled to. I do not like to see artificial deadlines. I will buy the game later, but please provide pre-order items for me when I buy. Since we at it, can you give me those living stories that I missed for free? I am entitled to them like everyone else.

@Amante.8109 said:I'm not a fan of this trend in gaming either, but good luck finding sympathy there. People are still defending day one DLC and microtransactions in $60 games...

You are correct, you will not find much sympathy here. Why in the world would you expect to get pre-order benefits when you did not pre-order? Mind boggling.

Your complaint is so confusing. You thought you could buy the expansion almost two hours after launch and still get pre-order bonuses? They are specifically not for everyone who buys the game, they are for people who are willing to buy it before it comes out. If you're not one of those people (and from your demand they not rush you into a purchase, it sounds like you're not), then don't expect to be rewarded as such.

And as someone who did pre-order I can say with certainty that you really aren't missing out on much and you definitely aren't missing something that would have made your game experience better/easier/smoother/whatever-er.

Here is what you didn't get thanks to not preordering:

The Spearmarshal’s Gift - a basic Elonian weapon skin, one that at least in beta dropped like candy as actual weapons, this is only a skinMiniature Rogue Balthazar - just as it sounds, a miniThe “Elonian Envoy” Title - a title to show others you preordered

That's it. Is one skin, one mini, and one title really worth all this fuss?

@Donari.5237 said:Here is what you didn't get thanks to not preordering:

The Spearmarshal’s Gift - a basic Elonian weapon skin, one that at least in beta dropped like candy as actual weapons, this is only a skinMiniature Rogue Balthazar - just as it sounds, a miniThe “Elonian Envoy” Title - a title to show others you preordered

Actually I think you still get the Spearmarshalls gift......but good points

@Greyraven.4258 said:

@Donari.5237 said:Here is what you didn't get thanks to not preordering:

Actually I think you still get the Spearmarshalls gift......but good points

I copy-pasted straight off the Pre-Order announcement and then edited the descriptions. What you get is likely the Spear outfit; the skin is listed as a pre-order.

Of course, I waited as should everyone. Nobody should really preorder anything because it leads to lazy programming and substandard products. The benefit to preordering should only be immediate access to the content. The benefit lies mainly with the corporation getting money upfront to better understand how much time they can sink into a product. Unfortunately, more often than not it leads to a lesser product because they already have your money and are no longer obligated to work for it.

@Cinnamon Goddess.3869 said:Of course, I waited as should everyone. Nobody should really preorder anything because it leads to lazy programming and substandard products. The benefit to preordering should only be immediate access to the content. The benefit lies mainly with the corporation getting money upfront to better understand how much time they can sink into a product. Unfortunately, more often than not it leads to a lesser product because they already have your money and are no longer obligated to work for it.

There's nothing wrong with bonuses in preordering. I do agree that you have to be careful with which games you do preorder, but companies are allowed to give bonuses as incentives. There was nothing stopping you from buying the expansion last night, because by then all of the programming would have been done anyway.

Besides, you contradict yourself. You say you hate bonuses but then you complain that you didn't receive them because you waited 1.5 hours? Makes no sense to me, lol.

@Cinnamon Goddess.3869 said:Of course, I waited as should everyone. Nobody should really preorder anything because it leads to lazy programming and substandard products. The benefit to preordering should only be immediate access to the content. The benefit lies mainly with the corporation getting money upfront to better understand how much time they can sink into a product. Unfortunately, more often than not it leads to a lesser product because they already have your money and are no longer obligated to work for it.

Actually I don't find games that don't have a preoder bonus being better than games that do. So that's a logical fallacy right there. I could even make an argument that allowing preorders allows companies to launch later than they would if they didn't. See every company invests in a new title and there's only so much you can invest before you start making money on it. The idea that they can pre sell means they can wait longer to release, which often means that they can take care of more stuff than they would if they launched earlier.

Other parts are your argument are equally circumspect. For example, anyone who plays the game, who wants to continue to story has no reason not to preorder because they're buying it anyway. Also a lot of people love the party atmosphere of first day that you can never repeat later.

No, there's plenty of reasons to preorder games you intended to play

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"Cinnamon Goddess.3869" said:The benefit to preordering should only be immediate access to the content.

How can that be a benefit of preordering if someone who buys immediately after launch also gets immediate access to the content?

He probably means soft staged release like "beta" weekends access or priority queues, which only happens in the most scummy F2P games.

I believe that each consumer has the right to decide for her/himself what to do with his/her money. I also believe that consumers should evaluate the value of a purchase based on what the purchase offers. Finally, I believe that the consumer ought to be responsible for learning what s/he can about a purchase. What seems clear to me is that the OP did not exercise due diligence in looking into this product. While too bad, I believe the fault is his/hers.

@Rennie.6750 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"Cinnamon Goddess.3869" said:The benefit to preordering should only be immediate access to the content.

How can that be a benefit of preordering if someone who buys immediately after launch also gets immediate access to the content?

He probably means soft staged release like "beta" weekends access or priority queues, which only happens in the most scummy F2P games.

Yes and once upon a time people used to purchase physical copies of games. If it was a very popular game it would most likely sell out and you would have to wait until it was restocked.

@"Lilac Nursery.7890" said:There was nothing stopping you from buying the expansion last night, because by then all of the programming would have been done anyway.

Besides, you contradict yourself. You say you hate bonuses but then you complain that you didn't receive them because you waited 1.5 hours? Makes no sense to me, lol.

How do you know there was nothing stopping me? Games like this are almost always released partly unfinished because they are digital and can just patch in missing content later. I never used to word "hate" I merely disagree with the business practice. I also never said that I did not receive the preorder items. What I said was now that I can not get these items I will not buy and just wait for a steep price reduction before purchasing. I also did not wait 1.5 hours I simply realized that the preorder items were not available because I was 1.5 hours past the official launch time. I woke up with the intent of purchasing but after realizing that the launch was earlier in the day I chose not to purchase.

Archived