What do you think of voice comms in ranked?

Les.4872

I know there's discord and TS for a team or guild but what if you could talk directly with randoms in a game of ranked? Just your team of course. You don't have to talk if you don't want to and you have the ability to mute people you don't want to listen to. Most competitive games have this feature and it might be interesting to also have it in gw2. Easier callouts and coordination.

@Les.4872 said:I know there's discord and TS for a team or guild but what if you could talk directly with randoms in a game of ranked? Just your team of course. You don't have to talk if you don't want to and you have the ability to mute people you don't want to listen to. Most competitive games have this feature and it might be interesting to also have it in gw2. Easier callouts and coordination.

It has its perks but can turn nasty just as quickly

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:You can create new discord channels on the fly, post the invite in /party, and voila. No need for ANet to spend limited sources on either (a) new tech that isn't part of their core competencies or (b) paying some 3rd party for their tech/API on being dependent and on integrating it into GW2

Toxicity aside, they can't make voice chat p2p because they can't allow users to see each other's IP. So they'd have to have dedicated servers which would probably be both expensive and annoying to set up.

The networking at anet is really good, so I'm sure they technically can pull it off. There just is no compelling reason they should.

Despite the value of comms to organized teams, I would really not want this, personally. I just picture the map chat in the PvP lobby, only it lasts all match and is blasting in your ears instead, not limited by the keyboard or censorship. shudders

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:You can create new discord channels on the fly, post the invite in /party, and voila. No need for ANet to spend limited sources on either (a) new tech that isn't part of their core competencies or (b) paying some 3rd party for their tech/API on being dependent and on integrating it into GW2

As if anyone would join this, maybe one in 20 people

@Malediktus.9250 said:

As if anyone would join this, maybe one in 20 people

You think that's a lower rate than the number that would join if ANet hosted its own voice channels?Keep in mind that ANet's version is going to feel more like Enjin+Mumble integration rather than an in-game Discord. (Those who don't think that's true should look at GW2's UI and this very forum. Clunky interfaces happen.)

Considering the putrid cesspool of players left in the game considerably out number the ones who are chill I would vote no way I hell. I’ve seen it in other games where I’ve heard the following:

Eating, burping, other wind noises.Arguing with other people on the other end making everything uncomfortable.Generally very insulting and maturity that would make these forums seem like a retirement home.General sexist and minority discrimination because usually companies don’t record it.Getting “intimate” without realising we can hear.

If you would like people to join on voice come get yourself a nice small, easy to type discord link and ask in chat.

If you watch PvP streamers at the moment a lot of them are at best salty and at worse start treading down the abusive line with some people.

• 4 weeks later...

@Les.4872 said:I know there's discord and TS for a team or guild but what if you could talk directly with randoms in a game of ranked? Just your team of course. You don't have to talk if you don't want to and you have the ability to mute people you don't want to listen to. Most competitive games have this feature and it might be interesting to also have it in gw2. Easier callouts and coordination.

Voice comms is something that I don't think the developers can't make. Whether it's due to engine limitations or whatever reason it's not happening. Many people have asked for this feature ever since GW2 was out, but no such luck.

Personally, I think that voice commands that you're characters can say, similar to games like Team Fortress 2, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena (I know, I'm an old man), where you can open a menu of voice commands, you select the command or press the key for the command you want your character to say and it'll notify your teammates. I think this would be an amazing addition in PvP, since most newbies in PvP either don't pay attention to the map or they have the reaction time of a sloth.

Having spent too many hours playing DOTA2, I think voicechat was a brilliant part of the game there but also an absolute pain when you had a teammate who made it their life goal to troll you. Then again there was a mute button which made things simple.Part of me wants this as it would enhance pvp and make it more fluid and more enjoyable to a degree, however, it seems that the technical difficulties of having it set up are probably the greatest barrier/hurdle to overcome.

@apharma.3741 said:Considering the putrid cesspool of players left in the game considerably out number the ones who are chill I would vote no way I hell.While I agree that there will be a toxic few who often make it less pleasant, many other games just have a mute option per player which essentially eliminates most of the problems.

IMO voice comms would make an already toxic community even worse. Maybe if anet restructured ranked PvP to allow for full 5-man premades to eliminate getting random players in your match that only know how to attack their own team mates.

As it currently stands they've made a game mode that toxicity thrives in.

Archived