Unarmed combat, a simple desire.

Skullduggery.2517

What do you all think of unarmed combat?One of the things I believe guild wars has missed is an unarmed combat system. I wouldn't ask it to be complicated, something like punches, kicks, blocks - counters. It could talk up 1-3 skills or 1-5. I personally would like to see 5, something like:1) throw a single straight jab at the target2) throw ten quick punches at the target3) block the target and counter with a punch to the head (Possible stun)4) Kick outwards and push the target away5) Kick the targets head (Stun)

They should be low - moderate damage attacks based off the the players 'power' stats, with low cool downs to make up for the lack of a weapons attack bonus. There could also be factors such as the attacks being faster or slower based on armour type combined with higher damages from heavier classes, or a difference in certain moves to make them logical, for example a heavy armour class wouldn't be kicking to the head, so perhaps ramming into the target to stun it?

I also think there is potential in the idea of having a weapon in one hand and bare handed in the other, I can imagine a thief sneaking up on the target, backstabbing them before kicking them away, or perhaps stunning them again. Or a warrior leaping in with a sword before ramming the target.There is also the option of adding a disarming condition to the game, where bosses, larger npc enemies or humanoid enemies (Bosses being strong by default, Larger NPCs such as giants or trolls are by lore and logic incredibly strong, and lastly the playable races are all logically races, and with technique, or in the Norn and Charr cases, strength, they could disarm the player, forcing the player to fight with his hands and feat, the item of course would be placed in the inventory.

Anyway these are just some things I have been thinking up, what do you all think?

Uhm.. I would advise you to try out the Daredevil elite spec for thief - it has everything you mentioned right there, plus more to boot. All the skilltypes that come with it are of the "Physical" kind, even has a block in there ^^ No weapon is used in these animations, and technically you disarm enemies by applying cc, which this spec has tons of. And to be fair, with the right gear, build and skill you can do fantastic on it with even just 1 weapon, although I would recommend you give the awesome staff a go :)

• 1 month later...

I doubt they will ever add fist weapons, but maybe they could give warrior a Monk e-spec, and have the F2 function like a kit that replaces the weapon with a set of punches, kicks, blocks, and throws, plus an unarmed burst? Or they could have more than one class skill, as different "fighting schools" with different themes and uses. Maybe activate a stance-like ability on swapping schools.

My char is a scribe and spellcaster. He could never compete in a punching fest.

Gladiator movie:

GLADIATOR: We all have to fight.SCRIBE: Well, I don't fight. I shouldn't be here, I'm a scribe, I write down words... and speak seven languages.HAGEN: Good. Tomorrow, you can scream in seven languages. [Hagen chuckles maliciously]

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:My char is a scribe and spellcaster. He could never compete in a punching fest.

Gladiator movie:

GLADIATOR: We all have to fight.SCRIBE: Well, I don't fight. I shouldn't be here, I'm a scribe, I write down words... and speak seven languages.HAGEN: Good. Tomorrow, you can scream in seven languages. [Hagen chuckles maliciously]

Actually Elementalist would probably be better brawler then most classes, since it can augment its offense and defense abilities with elemental traits. Some fantasy RPGs have a concept of an Arcane Monk, which channels energies to improve melee combat. Elementalist is already 90% this, as they can shape base elements into physical tools if they wanted to. Or if you want to go the more obvious route, an Earth Bender thats trained in close combat is one of the most dangerous opponents you could face. Strong defense against ranged attacks, with earth formed armor and attacks that can carry a lot of inertia once you're forced into melee range.

Mesmers having a Clone fight..... self explanatory.

Arguably Necros would be the least equipped..... but then again, its never a good idea to get too close to a class that has a lot of skills that explicit refer to "touch"

Archived