Why do dugeons have be so hard

I tried my first dungeon today. I was so embarrassed at how bad I was. I was a burden. I just left the group so they could replace me with someone who will not weigh them down. I hate that you have jump up and around things. I died twice and they were so far ahead of me. I didn't know which way they went. I just stood there in silence and embarrassed. Than I left so they could have a chance. I hate puzzles. Why do you need jump up and around those things. I fell twice. I just want dungeon with easy way to get to where I want go without hopping on things. :(

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Practice. Thats what makes us better. Watch vids, that helps as well. Also, your class is an issue. What is your role? Dps? Support? Knowing your role, even semi-well in dungeons, can make a huge difference.When in doubt, always tell your teammates that youre not very experienced with the dungeons. Most will say "NO worries", except if its Arah.

Sounds like a bad team, to me.

Granted, I don't think a team needs to bend over backward to help newbies but they should have told you what you were getting into before starting...at the very least, asked if you needed help.

Just going to tell you that many players that run dungeons have ran them many times over. That's not to intimidate you but just inform you that if you got into a group that just jumps in and you don't know what to do, just that you need to tell them you've never ran the dungeon before. Some are willing to help and teach and others are not. If you run into the latter, it's best you drop the team and look for another.

Overall, the dungeons are a spike in difficulty but they aren't that tough and just require a little persistence. Once you've learned a bit about the encounters, they can be quite fun, just don't be too quick to judge them.

@"Voltekka.2375" said:Practice. Thats what makes us better. Watch vids, that helps as well. Also, your class is an issue. What is your role? Dps? Support? Knowing your role, even semi-well in dungeons, can make a huge difference.When in doubt, always tell your teammates that youre not very experienced with the dungeons. Most will say "NO worries", except if its Arah.

I am a Guardian.

I will point out many of us started this way. I loathed how hard dungeons were when I first played them, but a few tries later I had much less issues. I would advise joining a guild that runs them normally and can help show you the ropes at a sensible pace - sounds like your group was speed running and not being very cooperative to helping you

Dungeons will always have a mix of action, puzzles etc. Which one were you doing? It sounds like you might have wandered into a fractal (Twilight Oasis specifically)

@"Randulf.7614" said:I will point out many of us started this way. I loathed how hard dungeons were when I first played them, but a few tries later I had much less issues. I would advise joining a guild that runs them normally and can help show you the ropes at a sensible pace - sounds like your group was speed running and not being very cooperative to helping you

Dungeons will always have a mix of action, puzzles etc. Which one were you doing? It sounds like you might have wandered into a fractal (Twilight Oasis specifically)

I think it was AC. I was absorbing everything all at once. I don't know how its possible they ran that fast. I hate those puzzles jumping on ledges. Towards the end they were like "do you want me to hold your hand'

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I tried my first dungeon today. I was so embarrassed at how bad I was. I was a burden. I just left the group so they could replace me with someone who will not weigh them down. I hate that you have jump up and around things. I died twice and they were so far ahead of me. I didn't know which way they went. I just stood there in silence and embarrassed. Than I left so they could have a chance. I hate puzzles. Why do you need jump up and around those things. I fell twice. I just want dungeon with easy way to get to where I want go without hopping on things. :(

Don't feel bad. That's exactly how my first dungeon run went too. After I left the group, I was so embarrassed that I actually bought a name change contract. =) The most important thing you can do is NOT give up. Go watch some youtube videos and give it another shot. If you keep at it, you'll be a pro before you know it. Believe me... This is normal lol.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:I will point out many of us started this way. I loathed how hard dungeons were when I first played them, but a few tries later I had much less issues. I would advise joining a guild that runs them normally and can help show you the ropes at a sensible pace - sounds like your group was speed running and not being very cooperative to helping you

I think it was AC. I was absorbing everything all at once. I don't know how its possible they ran that fast. I hate those puzzles jumping on ledges. Towards the end they were like "do you want me to hold your hand'

You had a bad group then. Unfortunately a lot of players forget that every one is differently skilled or experienced. I've dumped groups for being too fast etc. I prefer to go slow in the dungeons and enjoy them even now rather than bash through. Once you have run them a few times, speedrunning through is fairly straightforward, but early on it can seem pretty hard.

I wouldn't worry about it, you just encountered an uncooperative group. It's going to happen in an online game, especially with pick up groups. Usually finding a comfortable guild is the way forward.

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I tried my first dungeon today. I was so embarrassed at how bad I was. I was a burden. I just left the group so they could replace me with someone who will not weigh them down. I hate that you have jump up and around things. I died twice and they were so far ahead of me. I didn't know which way they went. I just stood there in silence and embarrassed. Than I left so they could have a chance. I hate puzzles. Why do you need jump up and around those things. I fell twice. I just want dungeon with easy way to get to where I want go without hopping on things. :(

Don't feel bad. That's exactly how my first dungeon run went too. After I left the group, I was so embarrassed that I actually bought a name change contract. =) The most important thing you can do is NOT give up. Go watch some youtube videos and give it another shot. If you keep at it, you'll be a pro before you know it. Believe me... This is normal lol.

I don't even want to log back in. I am so embarrassed. I will log in later tonight. That name change sounds kind of good right now. Thanks. I will try to redo it later. Maybe. I thought I was going be really good at it, because solo I usually am really good in story missions and group dungeons..not so much. I picked a guardian because they have spells to help the group.

Thank you

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

Very trueWhen I played my first dungeon I was an experienced player with my class, but I stood there without knowing what to do, where to go, it was embarassingThen I went with guildies, and it was totally another matter, we died but was fun, they guided me on paths, tactics, etcIf you like instanced content, don't give up, dungeons are nice :)

Simple answer.

Because they are designed to be "5 man content*But once you have made them often enough successfully, you will quickly find them very easy, once you just know, what you have to do ...

You are a total dungeon beginner, like you said, having them done today your first time.Seriously, like WHAT HAVE YOU EXPECTED - SAB like Infantile Difficulty?? That they are a total piece of cake for you immediately? That you just get carried by the other players, when most people you find playing still Dungeons are in most cases likely same as inexperienced like you?Thats the reason, why people have asked in Dungeons for years (and eventually still do) for players after their amount of AP to be at least at a certain minimum, so that people were able to tell ,how experienced most likely the player is with the dungeon content...If you run a party with your party members being all like only under 5K AP or so, the chances are very high you will meet on very inexpereinced dungeon players, as when you have a party that is full of peopel with like way much more AP than this, like for exampeöl have a group of peopel whose Ap range from like 10k+ to 35k+ from whom you will know instantly, that they are experienced enough with the game to know what they do in the dungeons and which can tell you also what you need to do, if you ask them kindly enough and tell them before you start the dungeon, that you have no experience with the dungeon...I haven't found at least within my 6 years one single experienced dungeon player, which wasn't then willing to explain everythign in detail enough, when a beginner asked them something dungeon related - not a single time until now, which is really somethign positive about this games community, when it comes down to this - if you need help, you will find help, you just need to ask...

I suggest you to watch some videos of more experienced players than you, which did the dungeons successfully and learn from watching those videos, so that you see, what you have to do. Its a really great help.

This helps inexperienced players alot, if they know at least, what is required to do, so that you are no burden for your other party members standing there in your little corner of shame in silence and doing nothing while being embarrassed - which is even in my opinion more embarrassing - than at least doing something and failing at it, than just standing somewhere doing nothing and leaving then out of shame the group, than to have the guts to ask for help and explanations if neccessary, cause everybody has been a noob once in this game and has gone through the exact same situations that you described here, being so inexperienced with the dungeons, having made alot of mistakes and died alot to the enemies inside of them, due to not knowing what to do exactly, or due to bad group teamwork ect. pp.

But nothing is worser, than to just be that kind of deserteur, which just leaves the party, or the person, who just watches the other members doing all the work for them, litterally being this way a leecher, which is even worser in my view, than being a leaver.

@GenghisKhan.7842 said:

Very trueWhen I played my first dungeon I was an experienced player with my class, but I stood there without knowing what to do, where to go, it was embarassingThen I went with guildies, and it was totally another matter, we died but was fun, they guided me on paths, tactics, etcIf you like instanced content, don't give up, dungeons are nice :)

I am a very sensitive person. I often am overwhelmed and I have bad anxiety in social situations. I'm taking it a little harder than I should. I'll try again maybe with a group that goes slower.

@"Orpheal.8263" said:Simple answer.

Because they are designed to be "5 man content*But once you have made them often enough successfully, you will quickly find them very easy, once you just know, what you have to do ...

You are a total dungeon beginner, like you said, having them done today your first time.Seriously, like WHAT HAVE YOU EXPECTED - SAB like Infantile Difficulty?? That they are a total piece of cake for you immediately? That you just get carried by the other players, when most people you find playing still Dungeons are in most cases likely same as inexperienced like you?Thats the reason, why people have asked in Dungeons for years (and eventually still do) for players after their amount of AP to be at least at a certain minimum, so that people were able to tell ,how experienced most likely the player is with the dungeon content...If you run a party with your party members being all like only under 5K AP or so, the chances are very high you will meet on very inexpereinced dungeon players, as when you have a party that is full of peopel with like way much more AP than this, like for exampeöl have a group of peopel whose Ap range from like 10k+ to 35k+ from whom you will know instantly, that they are experienced enough with the game to know what they do in the dungeons and which can tell you also what you need to do, if you ask them kindly enough and tell them before you start the dungeon, that you have no experience with the dungeon...I haven't found at least within my 6 years one single experienced dungeon player, which wasn't then willing to explain everythign in detail enough, when a beginner asked them something dungeon related - not a single time until now, which is really somethign positive about this games community, when it comes down to this - if you need help, you will find help, you just need to ask...

I suggest you to watch some videos of more experienced players than you, which did the dungeons successfully and learn from watching those videos, so that you see, what you have to do. Its a really great help.

This helps inexperienced players alot, if they know at least, what is required to do, so that you are no burden for your other party members standing there in your little corner of shame in silence and doing nothing while being embarrassed - which is even in my opinion more embarrassing - than at least doing something and failing at it, than just standing somewhere doing nothing and leaving then out of shame the group, than to have the guts to ask for help and explanations if neccessary, cause everybody has been a noob once in this game and has gone through the exact same situations that you described here, being so inexperienced with the dungeons, having made alot of mistakes and died alot to the enemies inside of them, due to not knowing what to do exactly, or due to bad group teamwork ect. pp.

But nothing is worser, than to just be that kind of deserteur, which just leaves the party, or the person, who just watches the other members doing all the work for them, litterally being this way a leecher, which is even worser in my view, than being a leaver.

There was a person wanting to join the dungeon in guild but they were full. I know they very easily filled up that spot. They ran so far ahead. I didn't know which way to go. I was actually lost. That's reason I left. I was confused. Before that I died twice. I would just liked a little guardian. That too much?

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:I tried my first dungeon today. I was so embarrassed at how bad I was. I was a burden. I just left the group so they could replace me with someone who will not weigh them down. I hate that you have jump up and around things. I died twice and they were so far ahead of me. I didn't know which way they went. I just stood there in silence and embarrassed. Than I left so they could have a chance. I hate puzzles. Why do you need jump up and around those things. I fell twice. I just want dungeon with easy way to get to where I want go without hopping on things. :(

Come run with me. I do teaching runs fairly often ( though not so often since the rewards were nerfed 66% .) I often say to new groups "dungeon running is like a dance, step, counterstep." What I mean by that is that if you do things in a specific way, the dungeon becomes easy. Make false steps and the dance can quickly become a nightmare.

We all had to learn at some point.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:I tried my first dungeon today. I was so embarrassed at how bad I was. I was a burden. I just left the group so they could replace me with someone who will not weigh them down. I hate that you have jump up and around things. I died twice and they were so far ahead of me. I didn't know which way they went. I just stood there in silence and embarrassed. Than I left so they could have a chance. I hate puzzles. Why do you need jump up and around those things. I fell twice. I just want dungeon with easy way to get to where I want go without hopping on things. :(

Come run with me.
I do teaching runs fairly often ( though not so often since the rewards were nerfed 66% .)
I often say to new groups "dungeon running is like a dance, step, counterstep." What I mean by that is that if you do things in a specific way, the dungeon becomes easy. Make false steps and the dance can quickly become a nightmare.

I would love that. I don't know if we're on the same realm or not. I am more than willing to do it. If you can guide me during it.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

Come run with me.
I do teaching runs fairly often ( though not so often since the rewards were nerfed 66% .)
I often say to new groups "dungeon running is like a dance, step, counterstep." What I mean by that is that if you do things in a specific way, the dungeon becomes easy. Make false steps and the dance can quickly become a nightmare.

I would love that. I don't know if we're on the same realm or not. I am more than willing to do it. If you can guide me during it.

Friend me in game and catch me around this time, most weekdays. I'll log back in now as Ithilwen, if you call I'll try to arrange a teaching run.

Archived