The New Legendary Tools

What about new legendary tool items that function like super elites in pve only. Players equip them and they are accessible by double clicking them from the backpack or possibly some extra slot added to the UI, next to the 0 elite skill. Here are a handful of ideas:

• Mobile Asuran Siege Laser - Short range piercing with no cleave limit, hits something for 50k damage and leaves a lingering special condition which lasts for 60s and makes the target take 25% more damage from players. This effect stacks with normal vulnerability, is not effected by alacrity, and has a 10 minute cool down.
  • RC Char Bomb Car - The player pulls out a remote control and gets to drive a little char car bomb into a mob of monsters, detonating in a large AoE that insta kills all normal monsters within its radius and has no cleave limit. Actual bosses take only 50k damage. 10 minute cool down.
  • Sylvari Oakheart Summon - Yes, a stone that let's players summon an enormous Oakheart with a vine aura that constantly slows enemies. Of course the Oakheart also slaps the ground, knocking DOWN "not back" the enemies, dealing considerable damage while doing so. He sticks around for 60s or something and has a 10 minute cool down. He could also grant some special boon to allied units "Oakskin" - 15% less incoming damage or something.
  • Norn Legendary Feast - Player sets out graphics that show a few small banquet tables. The first 10 players that click the banquet table receive a special buff "that does not count as food or utility" and then it disappears. It grants +10% to all stats for 1 hour and is usable once per day. it resets each day at daily reset.
  • Human Talisman Of The Gods - It opens a panel of 6 skills that represent the powers of the 6 gods. One skill can be selected and used per 10 minutes. Since it offers 6x different skills, the skills should be less effective than the above listed abilities.The above listed should not only have a 10 minute cool down for individual players but should also have a 10 minute cool down "per instance" despite which player is trying to use it. For example, the Asuran Laser would be broken in raids if every player had one and could use it during every burn. However, if only 1 Asuran laser could be used per 10 minutes, it would be fine. Same thing for fractals/dungeon bosses/story instances, to prevent too much power creep. In explorable maps though, let players go nuts with it. For world bosses such as Tequatl, anet could just make them immune to something like the Asuran Laser's stacking vuln buff or lessen it's effects. Whatever they have to do to keep it balanced. Oh and, a given player can only use 1 legenary tool per 10 minutes, so regardless if he owns them all, only 1 can be used per each 10 minutes.

Of course all of the above would require questing/crafting, just like previous legendaries.

My original inspiration for this idea was Sohothin in PoF. The first time a player picks that up they think "Now this is what a legendary weapon is supposed to feel like." This brings me to my final idea and that is, why not add special 10 minute cool down skills to all pre-existing legendaries that work only in pve? That would be amazing and add a lot of flavor to the game.

I don't know, just ideas. I'm sure Arenanet could elaborate on the subject to a greater degree. What do you guys think about adding such a new edge to the game?

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:You know, they can't do build templates for 6 years so your idea is probably too much.

lol Normally I'd agree. But this idea would create a lot of gold sink and give players something new to do. Probably bring back the interests of people who had lost interest. In the end it all equates to gem shop sales and more population.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:You know, they can't do build templates for 6 years so your idea is probably too much.

lol Normally I'd agree. But this idea would create a lot of gold sink and give players something new to do. Probably bring back the interests of people who had lost interest. In the end it all equates to gem shop sales and more population.

It also introduces even more power creep to already laughable easy open world content. Not to mention build templates can be monetized aswell, so baiting anet with "you can make money" arguments doesn't work at all.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

It also introduces even more power creep to already laughable easy open world content. Not to mention build templates can be monetized aswell, so baiting anet with "you can make money" arguments doesn't work at all.

Most players capable of building such legendary items are already well past the phase of camping world bosses and farming for bags in the Cursed Shore. I don't think it would be much of a problem. If there were a problem with power creeping, it would end up happening in fractals/raids. I already addressed a couple scenarios how to prevent that.

Besides that, it's about having fun man. People play games when games are fun. It really is that simple.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Most players capable of building such legendary items are already well past the phase of camping world bosses and farming for bags in the Cursed Shore. I don't think it would be much of a problem. If there were a problem with power creeping, it would end up happening in fractals/raids. I already addressed a couple scenarios how to prevent that.

Besides that, it's about having fun man. People play games when games are fun. It really is that simple.

I'm not really into judging your idea, more like the chance of implementation. It's close to 0.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I'm not really into judging your idea, more like the chance of implementation. It's close to 0.

Why? Plenty of new legendary items have arrived along with mounts, this is no different. Specifically existing legendary items being given some long cool down unique skill is a long needed flavor for GW2 and could greatly diversify viable build structures.

It seems to me that things like these would be easy to abuse, especially in starter areas. A few players could easily spawn camp and end entire events in just a few clicks. It would be even worse than the current situation with improperly scaled dismount attacks. In higher level areas, I can see these easily ruining large scale event chains and world boss events. They would allow a very small percentage of the players to get almost all the kills. While there is a very long cool down, there's nothing to prevent several players from using these in the same area in rapid succession.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

No, really can't monetize build templates.. not without massive outcry, hell , they can't even charge 20 bucks for a mount skin without people loosing their minds.

Can you imagine the shit storm that would happen if they finally put in build templates and charged people for them? The massive protest march calling it P2W, would come with complementary torches and pitchforks.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

No, really can't monetize build templates.. not without massive outcry, hell , they can't even charge 20 bucks for a mount skin without people loosing their minds.

Can you imagine the kitten storm that would happen if they finally put in build templates and charged people for them? The massive protest march calling it P2W, would come with complementary torches and pitchforks.

Just like with mounts, easy money, loud minority, week of trashposting and then situation normalizes.

If build templates provide, in addition to skill and trait slots, equipment slots they can easily justify charging for them. Just like bag slots. EASY MONEY.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Can you imagine the kitten storm that would happen if they finally put in build templates and charged people for them? The massive protest march calling it P2W, would come with complementary torches and pitchforks.The golden middle way in my opinion would be to open one (or two) additional templates for everyone, then sell additional ones in the shop. Kind of like extra character slots, or bag slots for characters. Everyone gets a base number to work with, and can pay for the convenience to have more.

Back to the main topic: Personally I don't think it's worth it to develop a lot of stuff that mainly/only targets the "content locusts", that is those players that play a lot and have pretty much done everything in the game and almost unending wealth. Those players already have (earned) an edge over the mass of players simply by having more time and wealth at hand. No matter how much content you develop, this specific group of players will finish said content sooner or later (most likely sooner unless you put heavy timegates in there, which opens a whole new can of complaints) and be back to complaining about being bored.

Sorry to say, but as a game developer you don't want to hand those players even more advantages over the mass of middle ground players, especially since it will in no way diminish their cries for new content, only delay it (and probably by a much shorter timespan than the one needed to develop said content). While it is counter-intuitive to us players at first glance, it is actually a lot more beneficial to the game developers and the game's health to spend the vast majority of development targeting the average and especially the new player, while only handing the veterans a few crumbs here or there, as the average and new players are a lot easier to cater to and to keep playing and enjoying the game than those veterans that already have played the game to death.

@"Funky.4861" said:Am i the only one who expected legendary gathering tools as a suggestion? Perhaps the Op meant 'toys' not tools?

Oh no, I expected people to look in this thread because they assumed I meant "legendary gathering tools?" I was trying to get responses but apparently not a single person cares about this idea oO

So GG

@Jacob Elon Seidner.6487 said:What was the uproar? Just seemed funny to me. Was the hat in reference to a real (though presumably dead) pilot?

No it just happen to land in game was it a week or 2 after a pilot suicided into a mtn with a passanger plane and people thought it was bad taste.I mean I thought it was kinda far fetched that the devs should be up to date with every tradgedy that happens around the world tbh.That is most likely why we dont get cool ingame april fools anymore only the april first patch notes.

One of the many lessons publishing has taught me over the years is that writers are sensitive. So much so, most agents and editors went from sending a carefully worded rejection letter to saying nothing at all. No response means no, these days. So, with that in mind, I will say this: Because someone rejects an idea or project doesn't mean it's bad. It means, it didn't ring true for that person or persons. Nothing more. In most cases, you'll hear, "I didn't fall in love with it," or words to that effect in publishing. It's not a judgment on anyone as a person nor their ideas or works. It simply means that the reader didn't like it enough to endorse it.

And, as they also say in publishing, just because I didn't love it doesn't mean somebody else won't. :)

Archived