Elixir change

aceofbass.2163

Since the elixir/invention line is tipping toes on being a support, I suggest the elixirs would be changed to have a pbaoe effect for self and allies, and the elixir toolbelt only affect the engineer(and not projectile based). Of course with the exception of elixir S - maybe rework the invul to be the toolbelt solo skill and then the stealth to the group pbaoe. This way we have more option to play as support.

Would that be overpowered? or undermine the viability of engineers in some game modes?

@aceofbass.2163 said:Would that be overpowered? or undermine the viability of engineers in some game modes?

Ever since ArenaNet removed Alchemical Tinctures, elixirs have been nothing but undermined. However, I do agree that it would be better if elixirs could be used in an AoE effect instead of being projectile ground targeted skills. Being able to cleanse conditions from yourself and allies wasn't anything spectacular, but it was something that if you wanted to play support engineer to help allies with cleansing conditions.

I looked at the elixirs again and thought this is how it would go:

Elixir H: randomly grant protection, regeneration, or vigor to self and allies.-toolbelt skill: heal yourself and randomly gain protection, regeneration, or swiftness.

elixir B: grant fury, might, retaliation, and swiftness to self and allies.-toolbelt skill: gain stability and one of the following boons: fury, might, retaliation, or swiftness.

elixir C: convert 2 conditions into boons for self and allies.-toolbelt skill: convert all your conditions into boons.

elixir R: remove 1 condition and revive allies in a 180 radius around the engineer.-toolbelt skill: gain 1 endurance and remove immob.

elixir U: grant quickness and either might or fury for self and allies.-toolbelt skill: cast a random spell at a target location (no change).

elixir S: grant stealth to allies in the target area.-toolbelt skill: shrink yourself, recover from stun, and evade attacks.

Animation would be, the elixir would be smashed at the feet/ground of the caster to gain the aoe effect and the toolbelt would be straight up the engineer drinks from the bottle.

edit: or to prevent it from being too leaning on tools line and to stick to original anet design, just make it stay the way it is but make the toolbelt skills pbaoe. Engi drinks for greater effect, toolbelt smashes the container to the ground and make aoe effect.

What most elixers need is to have the randomness removed. The ones that aren't random in their effect are ok.

Having you or your allies gain a selection of random boons doesn't really help effectively. You can't plan around random, you can't build a character around the usage of random boons. You can't effectively support your party with random effects.

That being said, I do think if we could get Alchemical Tinctures back that would be really helpful. Compounding Chemicals is frankly a poor substitute. When we had Alchemical Tinctures people would make builds around elixers, the change seems to have fairly killed that.

@Cifrer.6013 said:What most elixers need is to have the randomness removed. The ones that aren't random in their effect are ok.

Having you or your allies gain a selection of random boons doesn't really help effectively. You can't plan around random, you can't build a character around the usage of random boons. You can't effectively support your party with random effects.

That being said, I do think if we could get Alchemical Tinctures back that would be really helpful. Compounding Chemicals is frankly a poor substitute. When we had Alchemical Tinctures people would make builds around elixers, the change seems to have fairly killed that.

Considering each elixer's strongest boon is base line, the random element rarely matters. The only one I'd argue the randomness can't really be planned around is U's Wall effect...... but thats only because reflect vs smoke field have different values as counter play for different classes.

@DragonSlayer.1087 said:I wish the Elixir X would give ALL Boons instead of what it is now. And it's F5 would cure all conditions instead.That would make it extremely boring elite. We already have an elite of which tool belt skill cleanses all condis.

Elixir H is fine heal, but toolbelt skill is trash - give a boon to allies every 25 seconds? Give it a condition (or 2) cleanse baseline, remove the randomness - give all of those boons, lower the cooldown to 20 seconds.

Elixir C is a great utility, but it's toolbelt could use a buff. Either increase the amount of condi convert or lower the cooldown.

Elixir B used to be awesome due to amount of boons it was providing. Now we have LOTS of other boon sources. Elixir B needs to be buffed or remade to be worth taking. Maybe adding Alacrity to it? Toolbelt skill is a great source of Stability, except barely 4 seconds of it is a bit underwhelming.

Elixir R is special. No idea how to change it to be useful in a normal gameplay. I use it only when my friends are dueling and need a quick ress.

Elixir U and S are IMO in a good place. U is an amazing offensive utility with Toolbelt which provides either powerful reflect or a smoke field (to stealth). Elixir S has a lot of possible uses (safe-stomp, safe-ress, runaway, stun-break) as well as its Toolbelt skill.

Nowadays I rarely use Elixir X, but by the looks of it it's still quite powerful skill, especially with Rampage and Tornado buffed.

@Rezzet.3614 said:the only change elixir X needs is to simply remove the stupid tornado , rampage even without the warrior's 30% trait buff is a hugely powerful elite .

Would never happen because it'd be a direct copy of another profession's Elite..

I've always said that it should just be a unique Engineer transform. Some kind of Mr. Jekyll-shambling-alchemical-abomination that has a good sprinkling of physical damage, bleed, poison, quickness, and maybe an AoE launch.

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Rezzet.3614 said:the only change elixir X needs is to simply remove the stupid tornado , rampage even without the warrior's 30% trait buff is a hugely powerful elite .

Would never happen because it'd be a direct copy of another profession's Elite..

I've always said that it should just be a unique Engineer transform. Some kind of Mr. Jekyll-shambling-alchemical-abomination that has a good sprinkling of physical damage, bleed, poison, quickness, and maybe an AoE launch.

that does make more sense, still should borrow some of the tankyness from rampage and pulsing stab the one boon engi doesnt have proper access to

The toss is kind of bad too since the evade is 1/3 of the duration that it even lasts. It's very difficult to almost impossible to pressure anyone that you moa'd. You could treat it as a 3s ceasefire, though, I suppose. But tbh a pulsing blind/poison/chill/water field is probably more useful, as is supply crate with the water field blast and med kits.

Toss Elixir S used to be able to make allies grow larger. I'd like to see Elixir X revamped entirely and make the player character grow larger, pulsing stability and alacrity to itself and having some sort of powerful offensive skillset.

Toss Elixir C should grant resistance to allies rather than convert conditions to boons.

Elixir H should grant protection, vigor and regeneration.Toss Elixir H should simply grant aegis to allies.

Elixir B should grant stability as well as its current boons.Toss elixir B should simply grant stability to allies but for a longer duration.

Elixir U should have the might and fury chance removed and instead grant quickness and superspeed.Toss Elixir U should create a dome that absorbs projectiles (not reflect) and also be a smoke field. Might be cool if it were an ethereal field instead too, though.

My 2 cents.

Archived