PoF is not replacing HoT ! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

PoF is not replacing HoT !

I saw many threads about "Why PoF maps don't have meta events?" and it's getting tiring. I love HoT maps ,are different,sometimes hard to navigate but that's fun for me and I think there isn't any game with the same amount of verticality and action on every level. What made HoT great was the rush ,the danger and everything there is out to kill you. Meta events made those maps nothing more than farm maps,that's what meta events are,doing the same event over and over every few hours,that might be fun for many players and for me sometimes.The constant rush and "arrow" that points on what you have to do,it gets tiring. PoF on the other hand doesn't have a meta event but it has many events+ the bounties,it's enough content if you look for it but those are maps for exploration,lore,nostalgia, they are so amazing ,I talked with many people and everyone says that PoF is an improvement from HoT and vanilla GW2 and they are right. I never felt so good in a map since I started playing the game,i feel like I am new again,exploring the maps,finding hidden things,didn't feel that with HoT,in HoT I felt like I was thrown in a war and I had to do what the map "said" and not go on my own discovering everything. PoF with meta events won't be other thing that farm maps,and we have HoT for that.PoF is not here to replace HoT,it's here to expand the world.Both are good expansion ,different expansion for different things.

Comments

  • I think HoT had it perfect for event structure. You know exactly when the meta is going to be. During the event cycle between, you can tell at a glance whether or not an outpost has completed its event chain. If you see an outpost that isn't complete and waypoint to the camp, the UI even tells you which event is in progress so you know where to go. The event chains also tell a story about what's going on in that particular area of the map and how it relates to the whole. That just seems much better to me than the PoF/Core Tyria event structure of random, isolated events.

  • Exactly.
    I've seen so many people complain about content and stuff, or why no meta or whatnot.
    It's an EXPANSION, it EXPANDS on existing content. It doesn't replace it.

  • I'm reealy enjoying PoF, much more than I did HoT at the same point. I actually think it makes HoT more fun too.

    PoF maps are exploration friendly, it's easy to go "what's over that hill?"

    The mastery points are coming fast and furious and the specs, while taking some adjustment are fun in open world pve which is my main jam.

    Springer makes navigating HoT zones waay easier and raptor lets me fly right past those pocket raptors that were wrecking my zerker ele. I started getting mastery points I ignored previously in HoT. I'm actually going to spend time in Tangled Depths now that getting to some places isn't so tricky.

    Skimmer is "glider lite". The Spoiler you can get post story looks amazing if expensive. I need to farm gold. I spent some of mine getting gear for a returning friend.

    I got stuck in a bottleneck mastery point wise to get raptor long jump but that would have been fixed by doing the bounties achievement in Crystal Oasis. I used a teleport to friend to fix that though a friendly mesmer can help with that too.

    I think LFG and joining hp or bounty runs is good though you might not think of that as a first stop in open world. I think an in game lfg board might help there.

    Btw nothing is more hilarious than 30+ mounted folks running through a zone decimating the bounties.

    It seems like in PoF events are opt-in rather than in your face. This is fun.

  • Carighan.6758Carighan.6758 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:
    I think HoT had it perfect for event structure. You know exactly when the meta is going to be. During the event cycle between, you can tell at a glance whether or not an outpost has completed its event chain. If you see an outpost that isn't complete and waypoint to the camp, the UI even tells you which event is in progress so you know where to go. The event chains also tell a story about what's going on in that particular area of the map and how it relates to the whole. That just seems much better to me than the PoF/Core Tyria event structure of random, isolated events.

    But the problem is that in HoT maps, everything is built around the meta. So there is no "just events" component. PoF is the polar opposite, virtually all events are loosely connected if even that, usually disconnected.

    As @Nury.3062 said, this creates the beautiful balance where once the initial rush is over, the core world provides maps with mixed meta/loose events, HoT maps and Silverwastes and Dry Top provide pure-meta events, and PoF maps and the LS3 ones provide loose-events-only maps.

    It's perfect, more choices and options.

  • @Luna Peregrina.5708 said:
    Exactly.
    I've seen so many people complain about content and stuff, or why no meta or whatnot.
    It's an EXPANSION, it EXPANDS on existing content. It doesn't replace it.

    I don't think I saw people ask them to delete HoT maps and add PoF maps instead. People are asking them to expand on existing content. Which did not happened.

  • @TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

    @Luna Peregrina.5708 said:
    Exactly.
    I've seen so many people complain about content and stuff, or why no meta or whatnot.
    It's an EXPANSION, it EXPANDS on existing content. It doesn't replace it.

    I don't think I saw people ask them to delete HoT maps and add PoF maps instead. People are asking them to expand on existing content. Which did not happened.

    I didn't see people asking for that either, hence why I never mentioned it at all.
    How did PoF not expand on existing content or what else did you expect?

  • TwiceDead.1963TwiceDead.1963 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2017

    @Luna Peregrina.5708 said:

    @TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

    @Luna Peregrina.5708 said:
    Exactly.
    I've seen so many people complain about content and stuff, or why no meta or whatnot.
    It's an EXPANSION, it EXPANDS on existing content. It doesn't replace it.

    I don't think I saw people ask them to delete HoT maps and add PoF maps instead. People are asking them to expand on existing content. Which did not happened.

    I didn't see people asking for that either, hence why I never mentioned it at all.
    How did PoF not expand on existing content or what else did you expect?

    Wow, really trying to look past the obvious, huh?

    They could've taken the feedback from HoT and figured out what didn't work so well, and improve upon what did work well, and maybe include some of it on ONE of the new maps. Or better yet, doing Silverwastes style events, as Silverwastes is probably the best example of a meta-event done right in the game, where people can do whatever the kitten they want yet it can still succeed.

    Instead they wen't the "All or Nothing" route. God forbid you actually show you learned something from your past developments, so instead of engaging events we're back to grinding hearts and pouring buckets of water over things... Yay.

    The bounties are a novelty, but their shine quickly wears off.

    The mounts and the specializations are great though'.

  • I think PoF is awesome. It just feels right for an exploration minded player like me.

  • LUST.7241LUST.7241 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2017

    Same goes for PvP.

    People wanted the overall meta to change, it hasn't. Some classes got more versatility and there is now more value switching specializations rather than entire professions. It's pretty good to see the build diversity, but unfortunately people are still stuck in the concept of "I don't need to change my build for this match up".

    Although, I will say the majority of HoT specializations are superior in terms of resourcefulness than PoF. It seems PoF just gives most professions a very situational burst build (ex. Scrapper v. Holosmith, Dragonhunter v. Firebrand, Daredevil v. Deadeye, etc.). Meaning, I rather have a Guardian that can survive a fight, rather than go down the first two seconds, or a Support that excels at keeping us in the fight (Ele, Engi), putting pressure at other points (Daredevil/Mesmer Ports or Moas), etc.

    All my alts are just storage for my Engi.

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I think that this consept is great. Hot was The "meta event" expansion and pof was, If nothing More atlest More story. Maybe next expansion is more like PvP/wvw? Or More oriented to e-specs only. Or instansed content expansion. My point is that its good that expansion wont Make other expansion worthless.

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭

    I love the exploratory feel of PoF, and have a feeling AN will be building a lot of story and events on top of it in the coming year - it just feels like a great framework for that. And I love HoT metas, OCD be damned, and they seem to be going strong post-PoF. So we get the best of both worlds,. Great days!

  • sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2017

    to me PoF replaces it for sure, HoT is just horrible and i only care about it for the masteries...

  • Already got all the mounts, masteries and boring myself to death having to transverse the maps for getting hero points for my alts, ohh and I'm farming berries in bitterfrost frontier... in Hot I was MINDBLOW with the new bosses and events !! I rarely find people doing bountys and see like 2 or 3 people at random events. In HoT there was a mob everywhere, there was a fight in each corner, I had so much fun and I seriously don't understand how people say HoT was difficult, they never played video games in their life or something? Story in PoF is amazing, music is amazing, the maps are amazing, the mounts, but its missing action, bosses, war , invasions, that is the cool thing about GW2. Vanilla was so fun, Lion Arch invasions, Scarlet, etc etc.

    We should be getting our but kicked right now by the cousin of the Shatterer or something , some abomination created by Joko, a branded crazed forgotten one etc. etc. etc.

  • Nury.3062Nury.3062 Member ✭✭✭

    @xiraus.4716 said:
    Already got all the mounts, masteries and boring myself to death having to transverse the maps for getting hero points for my alts, ohh and I'm farming berries in bitterfrost frontier... in Hot I was MINDBLOW with the new bosses and events !! I rarely find people doing bountys and see like 2 or 3 people at random events. In HoT there was a mob everywhere, there was a fight in each corner, I had so much fun and I seriously don't understand how people say HoT was difficult, they never played video games in their life or something? Story in PoF is amazing, music is amazing, the maps are amazing, the mounts, but its missing action, bosses, war , invasions, that is the cool thing about GW2. Vanilla was so fun, Lion Arch invasions, Scarlet, etc etc.

    We should be getting our but kicked right now by the cousin of the Shatterer or something , some abomination created by Joko, a branded crazed forgotten one etc. etc. etc.

    It's about exploration, it's about having fun while chilling. All mounts...masteries...etc...but you think that's all to it? I was getting some masteries with a guildie when we found a ruined place with researchers...we found a rune...and with that rune we started an adventure with puzzles ,found a recipe.. and 5 items with unique skins...didn't have so much fun since gw2 launch.Meta is not everything....and pof has a lot to offer if you take your time to look around.

  • sigur.9453sigur.9453 Member ✭✭✭

    @Nury.3062 said:

    @xiraus.4716 said:
    Already got all the mounts, masteries and boring myself to death having to transverse the maps for getting hero points for my alts, ohh and I'm farming berries in bitterfrost frontier... in Hot I was MINDBLOW with the new bosses and events !! I rarely find people doing bountys and see like 2 or 3 people at random events. In HoT there was a mob everywhere, there was a fight in each corner, I had so much fun and I seriously don't understand how people say HoT was difficult, they never played video games in their life or something? Story in PoF is amazing, music is amazing, the maps are amazing, the mounts, but its missing action, bosses, war , invasions, that is the cool thing about GW2. Vanilla was so fun, Lion Arch invasions, Scarlet, etc etc.

    We should be getting our but kicked right now by the cousin of the Shatterer or something , some abomination created by Joko, a branded crazed forgotten one etc. etc. etc.

    It's about exploration, it's about having fun while chilling. All mounts...masteries...etc...but you think that's all to it? I was getting some masteries with a guildie when we found a ruined place with researchers...we found a rune...and with that rune we started an adventure with puzzles ,found a recipe.. and 5 items with unique skins...didn't have so much fun since gw2 launch.Meta is not everything....and pof has a lot to offer if you take your time to look around.

    and how often wlll you repeat that puzzle? will you do it daylie? or with each of your charakters?
    don´t get me wrong, pof offers a lot of amazing one time things, but soner or later (or you already have) you have seen all things. I am still feeling i have spend my (litte) money on a 90% solo campaign.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.