Free Transfer (with purchase of both expansions)? - RESOLVED

Hello,

I've joined GW2 almost a year ago but haven't gotten into it until very recently. Problem is in that time, I've moved from the Middle East to Australia and the character I have created (Level 40) is now stuck in a server with a constant 350+ ping since im in an European server.

I saw that when free accounts upgrade to a full account they receive a free transfer, however, I just bought both expansions and the game is asking me to use gems to be able to transfer. Is there any way i can get a transfer without losing all the progress i've made on my character?

Any help would be appreciated.Thank you!

The free transfer is a fact. f2p accounts get one with their upgrade to a full account (aka buying at least one expansion). However, you cannot transfer to a full server. I have no idea why it would ask for gems for the thread starter initially, but as it worked for him one hour later it seems to have been just a glitch.

The free world transfer for upgraded f2p accounts is listed in the wiki:

Free AccountsFree accounts are able to choose their world when first set up; however, they cannot transfer to a different world by any method. After upgrading to a paid account, they receive one free transfer to any non-full world.

I have a free2play account which was upgraded to HoT and I just tested it, I can transfer to any other server which is not full for free, regardless of region.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Snake.3795 said:The issue seems to be resolved. I have successfully transferred servers. Not sure if support had anything to do with it, but thank you regardless. This thread can be closed.

Glad to hear it worked out for you. And thanks so very much for updating the thread -- it's always good to know things are resolved!

• 8 months later...

Old thread but I'm looking to ask this question but for somewhat of a different question for one of the devs, next option is submitting a ticket.

This seems to be about free accounts buying an expansion and being able to have one free transfer. What if you were never free, you purchased the game in 2012, picked a server, and you purchased all the expansions and never had any server transfer offer for free?

If that is still available for use for one time, how can we get this free transfer? Yes I know the servers are connected, this is mainly because of WvW

@havenoclue.5086 said:Old thread but I'm looking to ask this question but for somewhat of a different question for one of the devs, next option is submitting a ticket.

This seems to be about free accounts buying an expansion and being able to have one free transfer. What if you were never free, you purchased the game in 2012, picked a server, and you purchased all the expansions and never had any server transfer offer for free?

If that is still available for use for one time, how can we get this free transfer? Yes I know the servers are connected, this is mainly because of WvW

UPDATE: we purchased Heart of Thorns and never received a free transfer and also same with Path of Fire

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"havenoclue.5086" said:What if you were never free, you purchased the game in 2012, picked a server,

That was your "no cost" transfer.The reason F2P gets a free transfer, when they buy an expansion: they never got that original choice; this is the first time they are able to choose.

Not exactly true. Play4Free accounts can choose at account creation, but they can not transfer by any means whatsoever, until the upgrade to a paid account. (So, should a P4F account make a mistake when first choosing their world (server), they are stuck there unless they upgrade or create a new P4F account.)

I got a free transfer when I upgraded last year after a couple weeks as a free player. There was no item that showed up in my inventory anywhere so i didn't even know I had one. A guildie of mine said to try to transfer so I could run with them every night, I clicked the buttons and moved right on over super easy. Worth a try even if you dont have an actual item of purchase to show for it.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"havenoclue.5086" said:What if you were never free, you purchased the game in 2012, picked a server,

That was your "no cost" transfer.The reason F2P gets a free transfer, when they buy an expansion: they never got that original choice; this is the first time they are able to choose.

Not exactly true. Play4Free accounts can choose at account creation, but they can not transfer by any means whatsoever,
until
the upgrade to a paid account. (So, should a P4F account make a mistake when first choosing their world (server), they are stuck there unless they upgrade or create a new P4F account.)

Got it. thanks. Still somewhat jacked since they are playing on some server when they were playing for free and now get to choose. Should have waited I guess. Good things for those that wait and play for free

• 1 month later...

Hi, I just bought the expansion and I live in Australia. .When I"ve made the account I lived in Germany.. so my account is EU. I heard I get a free transfer with buying the expansions. But it says I have to pay 500 diamonds to transfer. Is there anywhere an item I have to claim?

@"FiQYuU.9637" said:Hi, I just bought the expansion and I live in Australia. .When I"ve made the account I lived in Germany.. so my account is EU. I heard I get a free transfer with buying the expansions. But it says I have to pay 500 diamonds to transfer. Is there anywhere an item I have to claim?

You heard somewhat incorrect. The free trasnfer is when you change from free to play to a paying customer. This happens when you have a free to play account and buy one of the expansions. So this doesnt happen when you have e.g. the original game from before free to play.

If you do had a free to play account, it should give you the option to transfer for free, there is a waiting period.