Line of sight

whoknocks.4935

We all know the usage of line on sight is essential in pvp or wvw or diels to win some fights especially against longbow rangers.

But I am wondering, if I am dueling a longbow ranger in open space and he wins, he won because he is better than me or because open space gives him a great advantage?

In the opposite scenario if a longbow ranger tries to kill me and I use line of sight against him, going behind an obstacle it's like "cheating" or am I a better player because I used line of sight against him?

You can use line of sight against all professions with projectiles or to kite and buy some time maybe to refresh your skills, so you think mastering this technique will help you become better at the game?

I believe the general rule in PvP is if your enemy uses a mechanic to gain an advantage than it's a gimmick at best an exploit or cheat at worst. Whereas if you use it to gain an advantage then it's a clever use of mechanics and a clear example of your superior skill and knowledge.

Seriously though, making use of line of sight is allowed for both offense and defence. Yes it's annoying when someone uses it against you, but that's what mechanics like that are for.

@Danikat.8537 said:I believe the general rule in PvP is if your enemy uses a mechanic to gain an advantage than it's a gimmick at best an exploit or cheat at worst. Whereas if you use it to gain an advantage then it's a clever use of mechanics and a clear example of your superior skill and knowledge.

Seriously though, making use of line of sight is allowed for both offense and defence. Yes it's annoying when someone uses it against you, but that's what mechanics like that are for.

Yeah especially in wvw i killed this ranger trolling him around with line of sight i compeltely refilled from 10% hp to 100% hp and he started whispering me how noob I am, I should have died instead I run and hide, note i didn't reset the fight going out of combat.

I don't see why you would think that using line-of-sight to your advantage is any different than using 7-shot at max range (for max damage) or using continuum split to double moa or any of the other ways that mechanics are designed to work. If your foe has an advantage, it's your job to turn it against them or at least undermine it. If you have an advantage, it's your job to, well, take advantage of it.

An exploit would be placing yourself in a spot where you can damage your opponent, but they have absolutely no way to reach you. The game makes NPCs invulnerable when it detects that; it's probably not practical to do the same for competitive players (because it would be all-too-easy to exploit).

You should use any advantage you can to win. It's not cheating to not do something stupid like standing where you can be hit when you can't hit back.

However, why not take a skill that lets you close distance? If you're having trouble against ranged opponents, cut the range down and engage in melee. That also is not cheating.

Yeah especially in wvw i killed this ranger trolling him around with line of sight i compeltely refilled from 10% hp to 100% hp and he started whispering me how noob I am, I should have died instead I run and hide, note i didn't reset the fight going out of combat.

Some players can't accept that they aren't doing well. They need to accuse everyone else of sucking. It doesn't mean anything. Don't be goaded into fighting on terms that are disadvantageous.

@Biff.5312 said:You should use any advantage you can to win. It's not cheating to not do something stupid like standing where you can be hit when you can't hit back.

However, why not take a skill that lets you close distance? If you're having trouble against ranged opponents, cut the range down and engage in melee. That also is not cheating.

Rangers are pretty deadly at melee range as well xD today got hit from a 20k maul and worldly impact, but yeah I am full glass so I can't complain much.

I don't have problems with ranged in general, just an opinion what people think of using line of sight, i think it's what defines a good player from a bad one.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:I believe the general rule in PvP is if your enemy uses a mechanic to gain an advantage than it's a gimmick at best an exploit or cheat at worst. Whereas if you use it to gain an advantage then it's a clever use of mechanics and a clear example of your superior skill and knowledge.

In WvW the player to /whisper first is the loser. Always.

@"Chilli.2976" said:No you won't be classed as cheating because you are using your brain if you LOS him.Well except when people accuse you of cheating.

Either way line of sight is just using the battlefield to your advantage. I actually read this thread yesterday and came to think about it after a fight that I think make a decent show of it, and it's funnily enough relevant to a certain roaming mirage build thread that whoknocks started. What I know of my enemy:

• I fought the DH before and while I won those fights he nearly instakilled me with a surprise trap bomb up the kitten (hid behind the camp as well then). He's glass and dangerous enough. I need to kite that as even with him downed his autoattack would take huge chunks of my hp in seconds. Had I been glass he would have downed me.
  • I never really fought that condi mirage 1v1 in earlier fights (he ran away when the DH died) but he's got a slowpoke staff so is probably no threat. That said, condis still do some damage.
  • 2 man ganking guild runners are normally a dangerous pair, but then again neither is running food...

So therefor I use the buildings and walls. Not the most skillfull display perhaps. Turned out the mirage was... bad.

Archived