Priory Historian Elisa and years with 53 weeks...

Aouglas.8156

@Haleydawn.3764 said:It'll still be a 52 week rotation, and ignore the Gregorian calendar. Just as gw2 Birthdays are awarded every 365 days, not taking into account leap years, so your characters birthday will drift back 1 day every 4 years.

is this a conjecture? I'm confused, cuz her rotaion since PoF release fits perfect with the gregorian calendar...

@Aouglas.8156 said:Elisa has a rotation of 52 weeks. Is her rotation bound on the weeks of any year? If yes, what happend with her in years with 53 weeks; like 2020?

2020 will have 366 days which is 52 weeks and two days, not 53 weeks. If the cycle is exactly 52 weeks, then it slides one day each year, and two days if it's a leap year, just like the 365-day character birthday year slides one day every leap year.

@Aouglas.8156 said:

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:It'll still be a 52 week rotation, and ignore the Gregorian calendar. Just as gw2 Birthdays are awarded every 365 days, not taking into account leap years, so your characters birthday will drift back 1 day every 4 years.

is this a conjecture? I'm confused, cuz her rotaion since PoF release fits perfect with the gregorian calendar...

Totally missed what I’m saying. Don’t know how. The 52 week cycle will just repeat, regardless of how many weeks are in any given year.And her rotation was adjusted late last year, so I dunno how you figured "her rotation since PoF release fits perfect with the gregorian calendar" /shrug

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Aouglas.8156 said:Elisa has a rotation of 52 weeks. Is her rotation bound on the weeks of any year? If yes, what happend with her in years with 53 weeks; like 2020?

2020 will have 366 days which is 52 weeks and two days, not 53 weeks. If the cycle is exactly 52 weeks, then it slides one day each year, and two days if it's a leap year, just like the 365-day character birthday year slides one day every leap year.

ISO 8061 is the standard - it defines the number of weeks in a year - the last days of 2020 are december-28 until december-31 - but if u mean fullweeks you have right - but this is not the question...

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:It'll still be a 52 week rotation, and ignore the Gregorian calendar. Just as gw2 Birthdays are awarded every 365 days, not taking into account leap years, so your characters birthday will drift back 1 day every 4 years.

Totally missed what I’m saying. Don’t know how. The 52 week cycle will just repeat, regardless of how many weeks are in any given year.

verification of ur conjecture? how u can say, that elisa ignores the gregorian calender, if her positions fits perfect since release? ur example with the character birthday is not the same...

@Aouglas.8156 said:

ISO 8061 is the standard - it defines the number of weeks in a year - the last days of 2020 are december-28 until december-31 - but if u mean
full
weeks you have right - but this is not the question...

Totally missed what I’m saying. Don’t know how. The 52 week cycle will just repeat, regardless of how many weeks are in any given year.

verification of ur conjecture? how u can say, that elisa ignores the gregorian calender, if her positions fits perfect since release? ur example with the character birthday is not the same...

In that case no one knows and it's impossible for anyone to know until 2020, so you'll have to wait until then to get an answer based on anything more than 'conjecture'.

@Aouglas.8156 said:

ISO 8061 is the standard - it defines the number of weeks in a year - the last days of 2020 are december-28 until december-31 - but if u mean
full

I mean sets of seven days as defined by the game's weekly reset time (specifically the time and day-of-the-week at which Elisa moves in her rotation), because in the context of a question about how her rotation will work, that's the only kind of week that matters.

If she has a strict 52-week (see above for the only meaningful definition of "week") rotation, then her rotation slides by one day per "ordinary" calendar year, and two days per leap year. End. Of. Story. But as @Danikat.8537 says, we won't know until 2020, when we will find out if ArenaNet is going to insert an extra location to avoid arguments with the authors of ISO 8061. (That is a prospect that I find almost infinitely unlikely, in part because I doubt that the said authors care.)

In all likelihood, it's moot how long her rotation is, whether it's 52 non-rotating or 17 week rotating (and we haven't figured it out, somehow) because, periodically, ANet alters the rotations. Sometimes it happens by accident, as a result of running some sort of randomization routine that affects all vendors with RNG selections. Sometimes it's deliberate, because they realize item X is too hard to come by... or item Y is too easily found.

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:I know Earth has this "problem" but who is to say that Tyria has the same issue. Maybe a Tyrian year simply is 364 days, which is both more practical and makes it easier for Tyrians to have perfectly sensible week to yearly rotations.

Thats the advantage of a virtual world. :p

Like how the hobbits re-worked their calendar so weeks and months matched and each day of the month was always the same day of the week...so they didn't have to bother writing both at the top of a letter. I've always liked both that Tolkien thought about that and that such an utterly pointless bit of trivia made it into the appendices for Lord of the Rings.

Edit: Incidentally years in Tyria have 360 days and there are no months, just 4 seasons; Zephyr, Phoenix, Scion and Colossus - roughly corresponding to real-life seasons in the Northern Hemisphere, but not exactly because the Season of the Zephyr begins on Wintersday, which is New Years Day in real life, and still the middle of winter by most standards.

Also a now may be outdated comment about the ingame time by Angel Leigh McCoy (former Anet dev/writer) :* Moulevian Calendar -- The conflict here is between the reality of game design and needing to fit the calendar properly. When we introduced the Journal, we committed to fitting our Living World releases in a specific timeline. The unfortunate reality is that we can't always release new releases one right after the other -- especially not if you want them to be as awesome as you (and we) want them to be. I understand that this disconnects the calendars, but Tyria is a fictional place, and you can't expect time to flow exactly as it does in the real world. We learned this lesson too when we realized we could not keep to a truly monthly schedule and maintain the quality bar we demand. At the time I made those statements about aligning the calendars, our goal WAS to align the calendars. That did not turn out to be possible. You're just going to have to suspend disbelief on this one. :)

Basically what I bolded there is your answer, which really makes perfect sense imo.

Another thing to consider: It's much easier to program a computer to change something once every 7 days and give it 52 options to cycle through so it roughly matches up with calendar years than to add additional options for 53 weeks and program the computer to know when those are applicable and to apply them.

It's certainly possible to change it, just like computers "know" when it' a leap year and add an extra day into February, but it complicates an otherwise simple system which adds to the time needed to create it and gives more opportunities for something to go wrong, so it's not something a programmer is likely to do unless they think it's really important.

the difference: max. 53 weeks are 53 positions are for years like 2020 and 52 weeks for the other years -> a JS would work well for showing her current position each week

the german wiki is not the same like the english one - and they have 3 time the same picture for 2 different positions....and one outstanding verification, and only the position on the worldmap... i'm not a fan of this information only, cuz sometimes she stands in another layer :/

full

I mean sets of seven days as defined by the game's weekly reset time (specifically the time and day-of-the-week at which Elisa moves in her rotation), because in the context of a question about how her rotation will work, that's the only kind of week that matters.

If
she has a
strict
52-week (see above for the only meaningful definition of "week") rotation, then her rotation slides by one day per "ordinary" calendar year, and two days per leap year. End. Of. Story. But as @Danikat.8537 says, we won't know until 2020, when we will find out if ArenaNet is going to insert an extra location to avoid arguments with the authors of ISO 8061. (That is a prospect that I find almost infinitely unlikely, in part because I doubt that the said authors care.)

Actually, we will know before that (and probably we already know).How, you ask? We need to see what happens in the week that spans the end of the year. If her position changes on 1st of January, then we have calendar-compliant rotation. If it doesn't, then we have 52-weeks long rotation that is independent of leap years.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

full

If
she has a
strict
52-week (see above for the only meaningful definition of "week") rotation, then her rotation slides by one day per "ordinary" calendar year, and two days per leap year. End. Of. Story. But as @Danikat.8537 says, we won't know until 2020, when we will find out if ArenaNet is going to insert an extra location to avoid arguments with the authors of ISO 8061. (That is a prospect that I find almost infinitely unlikely, in part because I doubt that the said authors care.)

Actually, we will know before that (and probably we already know).How, you ask? We need to see what happens in the week that spans the end of the year. If her position changes on 1st of January, then we have calendar-compliant rotation. If it doesn't, then we have 52-weeks long rotation that is independent of leap years.

We won't know what happens in 2020 until 2020.

full

If
she has a
strict

We won't know what happens in 2020 until 2020.

January 1st of 2019 is on a Tuesday. We'll know at that point if she resets on year change or not.If she doesn't reset then how many weeks are in a year is irrelevant, because her rotation doesn't care about what year it is so 2020 will be the same as all other years with nothing changing.If she does change, then her last week/rotation of 2020 will just be shorter. January 1st of 2021 is on a Friday, so if she does reset on year change, her last rotation will last until Thursday, December 31 and not go for a full week.So in a sense, as Astral pointed out, when 2019 starts, we'll know what will happen with Elisa in 2020

January 1st of 2021 is the friday of week 53 in 2020 :/ the first week of a year in the gregorian calendar is with the first thursday...

but maybe, this thread is completly useless and arenanet made the pof-releaseday as start for the rotation. but why has the rotation 52 positions (2 positions are repeated, cuz 50 different, and the last two for filling the number of weeks) ... arghhh my mind is blowing....

I'm confused, where is the 53 weeks thing coming from. Even if you're talking broadcasting weeks in a year, technically there's still only 52 weeks in a year as broadcasting weeks (only Gregorian calendar-related thing a quick google search tells me has 53 weeks in a year) is merely taking the Su-Sa calendar lines, not the number of days (well this probably isn't actual, but it's close enough to explain it). 53 weeks occur due to January 1st landing on a Saturday or Sunday (or Leap year and Jan 1st lands on Fri-Mon).

Anyways, Elisa's set isn't "a gregorian year", it is a 52 week set, where she has 50 different locations to visit and revisits 2 locations to make a full 52. She resets Friday, regardless of the date of that Friday. It'd be pointlessly more difficult in coding to make it match any odd calendar set-up where there's an extra line.

The same situation happens for character birthdays - Anet codes it to be that 365 days after creation the character gets a birthday present. It doesn't conserve an exact date, as just doing a counter is easier to manage. Not hard to figure out at all.

Elisa's set is 52 because that's the number of weeks in a year (unless you're doing some weird calendar BS).

Archived