Rytlock Requim Art Critique

Matt H.6142

A challenging piece to be sure for Jerome Jacinto, and it’s gorgeous, except in how Rytlocks head looks. It’s very rat like. I think if the whiskers were less pronounced it would help. The tilt of the head seems to elongate the cat nose into a rat like snout. And I’m pretty sure Rytlock has yellow eyes.

There are several factors:

1. Teeth. Most depictions of him have prominent visible teeth from both the upper and lower jaw. The image in question seems to focus on the under-bite. This can have various effects on the overall composition, primarily here, making him look less vicious.
  2. Colors. Perhaps he's getting a bit old and showing some grey but this feels rather contrasting to the softness of his expression and eyes. But normally, Rytlock is quite chocolately. Also, his nose is pink which feels a bit off considering pink nose and paw pads are usually an attribute of younger creatures while older mature adult animals tend to discolour, looking more black or brown. Some older lions and cats can have pink noses but it's usually the center while the edges discolour to brown/black. Also, not sure about the eyes. They don't feel right. Aren't they suppose to be yellow? I suppose it's possible for eyes to change color due to magic.
  3. Whiskers. Are whiskers a thing for Charr? I don't recall if I've put whiskers on my Charr...it's been a while. They're cute. But I don't think that's what Rytlock would be going for. I'm sure Logan would appreciate them though.

It's fine though. It's merely an artistic interpretation of Rytlock. I've seen more accurate versions but this one is cute.

@Leo G.4501 said:There are several factors:

1. Teeth. Most depictions of him have prominent visible teeth from both the upper and lower jaw. The image in question seems to focus on the under-bite. This can have various effects on the overall composition, primarily here, making him look less vicious.
  2. Colors. Perhaps he's getting a bit old and showing some grey but this feels rather contrasting to the softness of his expression and eyes. But normally, Rytlock is quite chocolately. Also, his nose is pink which feels a bit off considering pink nose and paw pads are usually an attribute of younger creatures while older mature adult animals tend to discolour, looking more black or brown. Some older lions and cats can have pink noses but it's usually the center while the edges discolour to brown/black. Also, not sure about the eyes. They don't feel right. Aren't they suppose to be yellow? I suppose it's possible for eyes to change color due to magic.
  3. Whiskers. Are whiskers a thing for Charr? I don't recall if I've put whiskers on my Charr...it's been a while. They're cute. But I don't think that's what Rytlock would be going for. I'm sure Logan would appreciate them though.

It's fine though. It's merely an artistic interpretation of Rytlock. I've seen more accurate versions but this one is cute.

Charr do have whiskers, but not this promiennt. They are not shown ingame (probably due to how complex they would be to render) but you can see the whisker spots in their face, which suggests they do have them. I expect them to be like cat whiskers.

@Cerioth.7062 said:

@Leo G.4501 said:There are several factors:

Charr do have whiskers, but not this promiennt. They are not shown ingame (probably due to how complex they would be to render) but you can see the whisker spots in their face, which suggests they do have them. I expect them to be like cat whiskers.

Hm, I wonder if adding a few whiskers from his brow would give him a more mature look then.

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:Skrittlock. :^)

You know, I'd be forced to come back and play if there were a situation where the consciousness of a skritt and Rytlock got swapped for a while and for the whole chapter, we'd get to experience the hijinks...and when they got swapped back, that'd be the official introduction of a Skritt into the party of main characters.

I don't usually care about this kind of thing but this depiction of Rylock looks like it was done by someone who only has slightest idea about how Rylock is supposed to look like or by someone has only been told second-hand. He shall forever be known as "Ratlock".

@"Henry.5713" said:I don't usually care about this kind of thing but this depiction of Rylock looks like it was done by someone who only has slightest idea about how Rylock is supposed to look like or by someone has only been told second-hand. He shall forever be known as "Ratlock".

Skrittlock

Archived