whats point in some stuff?

finkle.9513

first aid kits?all the siege items other than superior flame ram... dont get used why?traps?

All the things that should make wvw cool, are not used... is this bad planning or are they being phased out, seems to me this stuff could be used to buck the trend of aoe gank fest

This isn't true. Maybe currently flame rams are superpopular because gates go down so fast (possibly something that might need additional work), I don't really know. Generally, though, catalpults, trebs get used, as well as ACs in defense. If you want to tackle bigger objectives, shield generators can be very helpful for the attackers as well as defenders. Ballistas also still get used.

Those first aid kits though? Don't ask me. I have no idea.

@nthmetal.9652 said:This isn't true. Maybe currently flame rams are superpopular because gates go down so fast (possibly something that might need additional work), I don't really know. Generally, though, catalpults, trebs get used, as well as ACs in defense. If you want to tackle bigger objectives, shield generators can be very helpful for the attackers as well as defenders. Ballistas also still get used.

Those first aid kits though? Don't ask me. I have no idea.

cats and trebs get used very minimully when enemy is pegging you in as a last resort... traps never used, shield gens hardly used, becasue its pointless when you can just mass zerg.. when was the last time you used a first aid kit?I think you are playing a differant game if you think these get used on par with flame rams.. ANET can get the numbers if they wish.. it can be data logged.

I wouldn't worry overly. I'm pretty sure, if ArenaNet looks at WvW and sees that only flame rams get used now, they're gonna do something about that. Maybe your server simply rolls different than mine, but I was defending SMC yesterday and did not only destroy flame rams, but also quite a number of catas.Trebs generally are used differently, of course. They fire more slowly, but have a great range, which is why and how they have gotten and will get used.

I am still getting pelted by arrow carts when I attack, so these are definitely still in place, too. Maybe on your server they don't bother with defending at all anymore?

Still, as they announced they are planning to increase rewards especially for taking higher-tier objectives as well as increase rewards for defending higher-tier objectives, we'll surely see the return of defense siege.When did I last see shield gens? Just yesterday evening. To protect siege.

Some devs have talked about buffing the first aid kit on the livestream. One dev ran around with one as a joke. It was fun. I guess that's the point.

... but I believe they were originally implemented as an aid to people who ran dolyaks. When not every class had access to group swiftness.

As for traps and tricks;

• Tricks are too short ranged, too risky - who's going to risk their life to mark enemies on a map? It's not THAT important to do so, you can just type where they are in the chatbox. Thus that trick is pointless unless it gets a range as long or longer than traited ranger longbow - the only good one is Siege Disabler and even then the user is on a suicide mission (unless they have stealth).
  • Traps are set off by random people, more often than not affecting invalid targets (people with no stealth, people without supply), you can only drop one and if you leave the map they disappear. Plenty of drawbacks on top of the huge 10 supply cost and cast time.

They are neat ideas implemented poorly. A familiar story.

Let's not forget, however, that it's better they be too weak than too strong. I think that's a valid reason for not changing them.

Other than traps, i really see all types of sieges being used as well described by nthmetal.9652 , and some of them even got nerfed due to being extremely OP (Arrow Carts).Sieges don't need any changes now, but i agree that traps and aid kit could get some love, and honestly i would not mind if they were "too strong" instead of "too weak" cus i believe they were supposed to be like that. When you deploy a trap it is because you expect it to somehow immobilize or kill (or at least be a lot inconvenient to) your target immediatly, and you have to build a strategy to make it work.

ACs, Catas, Trebs, Ballista, and shield gens are used all the time by small groups taking or defending larger objectives.

Traps... supply traps are usually planted everywhere, and target painter traps are always thrown around when stealthers are a thing (mesmers inside the base for example etc).

You are right, they are not used in zerg vs zerg ktraining. There is more to this game mode than that, though that's what they are optimizing for.

Rams are cheaper and gates are easier to take down, though disabling rams is far easier than catas.

The first aid kits are ancient, they have their niche use like giving yourself swiftness but that is hardly useful anymore because everybody who roamed had perma swiftness, now the mount. Other sieges are also being used a lot. Traps are situational and many people forget they exist, but they are very good.

Ballistas generally aren't used in favour of arrow carts in my experience, but still very useful. Everything else, maybe your server just hates seige? I see everything else all the time, sheild gens are pretty much required if the server you're against knows how to defend, catas important for positioning - there's quite a few places where the terrain grants a natural defence if you cata a wall instead of going through the door and in general more relaible than rams (less likely to be disabled for one). trebs both assault prep and defence, seige golems are popular with smaller blobs, AC is the go to siege for defence-by-attack and actually attacking.

Traps n tricks less so, only really worth it to use seige disabler, everything else is too much supply for little to no use. Granted, some of them have fairly useful effects, just very rarely actually capture the intended targets. First aid kits are however completely useless rn.

Archived