What's a lore figure that summoned "Demons" instead of undead but was a physical fighter — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What's a lore figure that summoned "Demons" instead of undead but was a physical fighter

Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

What's a lore figure that summoned "Demons" instead of undead like Necromancers but was a physical fighter as well such as a Warrior. Something closer to W/N in original GW2, but with Demon themed creatures instead of Undead. I know current era Necromancers dont really deal with Undead anymore but their creatures still not demons. Looking specifically for a Warrior like Fighter with magic in Demon invoking. Any lore figures like this come to mind?

Answers

  • Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Varesh Ossa? She was a dervish at the time, but that's the closest you're going to get. Not much demon summoning in the franchise, and what is there is mostly necromancers.

    R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:
    Varesh Ossa? She was a dervish at the time, but that's the closest you're going to get. Not much demon summoning in the franchise, and what is there is mostly necromancers.

    Ok thanks. The wiki say she was a Margonite, which is a type of Demon right? I wonder if there are different kinds of margonites or if Varesh could have some connections to other types of demons than just Margonite.

  • Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019

    Right, so, Margonites were humans- Abaddon worshippers- who were turned into demons by his 'blessings'. For most of the campaign, Varesh is human herself. She creates Margonites out of her own troops- and slowly transforms into one herself- but she also performs rituals that weaken Abaddon's bonds and allow him to send a couple kinds of demon through to Tyria; in that sense, she 'summons' both older Margonites and 'torment creatures'.

    R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

  • Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Other than Varesh, which is questionable in of itself for what you describe in the OP, there really a mortal who commands demons. Certainly not the same way a necromancer does its minions. Arguably you can count Khilbron with Varesh, but both command demonic troops (Titans and Margonites respectively) because of Abaddon's alliances with the Dreadspawn Maw (Torment Creatures), Dhuum (Titans), and Menzies (Nightmares/Darknesses). They're less a "figure that summoned demons" and more a general of a god who had demonic troops.

    Other than that, the closest thing I could think of would be cases like some Stone Summit summoning Glacius or trapping Ignius in a summoning stone. But this is more of a "classic cult demon summoning" more than a wizard who summons demons on a regular basis.

    All these squares make a circle.
    All these squares make a circle.
    All these squares make a circle.

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    Other than Varesh, which is questionable in of itself for what you describe in the OP, there really a mortal who commands demons. Certainly not the same way a necromancer does its minions. Arguably you can count Khilbron with Varesh, but both command demonic troops (Titans and Margonites respectively) because of Abaddon's alliances with the Dreadspawn Maw (Torment Creatures), Dhuum (Titans), and Menzies (Nightmares/Darknesses). They're less a "figure that summoned demons" and more a general of a god who had demonic troops.

    Other than that, the closest thing I could think of would be cases like some Stone Summit summoning Glacius or trapping Ignius in a summoning stone. But this is more of a "classic cult demon summoning" more than a wizard who summons demons on a regular basis.

    https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Vizier_Khilbron
    Reading his page he dont seem to have a fighter background. More of a Scholar origin. But I noticed something at the bottom of that page.

    Terick
    https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Terick
    Who is a warrior that's really a demon. But I like the description you had of a general that leads demon troops.
    Between Khilbron and Varesh, Varesh has a more fighter background. But if you know somebody else that fits that description please share. They dont have to be human either. Just a fighter background and lead demons.

  • ChronoPinoyX.7923ChronoPinoyX.7923 Member ✭✭✭

    Varesh is definitely one that fits this background since Varesh is, for the most part, human with demons summoned using Abaddon's blessings. Margonites don't become demons unless they are fully transformed by Abaddon like Varesh (as per lore, Margonites were originally human sailors who were transformed by Abaddon)

    The other person to come to mind is Shiro Tagachi. Unlike Varesh, Shiro didn't transform into a demon, instead he died but became a powerful spirit. Shiro is basically a human who stole Emperor Angyisan's soul using dark magic. This dark magic became amplified by the soul (as it was blessed by Dwayna) and therefore caused the Jade Wind (Revenants use a weaker version of this not amplified by Angyisan's soul). He was then turned into an Envoy of the Mist, criminals that died who are forced to ferry people into the afterlife by the Oracle of the Mist. Envoys can't use their powers unless it is to deal with ferrying souls despite being powerful (Herald Demrikov states this, hence why they can't fight Shiro, but they can deal with him after we defeat Shiro in Factions) but Shiro can use his because of the Emperor's soul. He created the Afflicted first with this power (by making a plague that turned people into the Afflicted) and afterwards, he created demonic constructs, the Shiro'ken (souls bound into constructs made of differing materials, think Balthazar's forged but less metal, more flesh).

    His profession is officially Assassin so he is a physical fighter and he fought with dual blades rather than daggers, fitting for the Revenant dual sword build.

  • Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I wouldn't call Shiro'ken "demonic". They were constructs made of bone and metal, and made mobile by imprisoned souls (much like the Forged, in fact). While Afflicted were basically a unique form of undead.

    All these squares make a circle.
    All these squares make a circle.
    All these squares make a circle.

  • ChronoPinoyX.7923ChronoPinoyX.7923 Member ✭✭✭

    @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    I wouldn't call Shiro'ken "demonic". They were constructs made of bone and metal, and made mobile by imprisoned souls (much like the Forged, in fact). While Afflicted were basically a unique form of undead.

    Quote marks to me shows that "Demonic" is a loose term. Plus Shiro'ken look exactly like demons.

  • Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019

    @ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

    @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    I wouldn't call Shiro'ken "demonic". They were constructs made of bone and metal, and made mobile by imprisoned souls (much like the Forged, in fact). While Afflicted were basically a unique form of undead.

    Quote marks to me shows that "Demonic" is a loose term. Plus Shiro'ken look exactly like demons.

    What quote marks means depends on context. In this context, I was quoting the term you used.

    Shiro'ken may have a demonic appearance, arguably, but that doesn't change the fact that they're not actually related to demons in any way, shape, or form.

    All these squares make a circle.
    All these squares make a circle.
    All these squares make a circle.

  • ChronoPinoyX.7923ChronoPinoyX.7923 Member ✭✭✭

    @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

    @ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

    @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    I wouldn't call Shiro'ken "demonic". They were constructs made of bone and metal, and made mobile by imprisoned souls (much like the Forged, in fact). While Afflicted were basically a unique form of undead.

    Quote marks to me shows that "Demonic" is a loose term. Plus Shiro'ken look exactly like demons.

    What quote marks means depends on context. In this context, I was quoting the term you used.

    Shiro'ken may have a demonic appearance, arguably, but that doesn't change the fact that they're not actually related to demons in any way, shape, or form.

    Yeah I went by the term OP is using which is "Demon themed" no necessarily Demon demons.

  • Narcemus.1348Narcemus.1348 Member ✭✭✭

    The closest thing I can think of as a demon summoning warrior is Kanaxai, but he was a demon-like being himself. Not a mortal.

  • Kalavier.1097Kalavier.1097 Member ✭✭✭

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:
    What's a lore figure that summoned "Demons" instead of undead like Necromancers but was a physical fighter as well such as a Warrior. Something closer to W/N in original GW2, but with Demon themed creatures instead of Undead. I know current era Necromancers dont really deal with Undead anymore but their creatures still not demons. Looking specifically for a Warrior like Fighter with magic in Demon invoking. Any lore figures like this come to mind?

    Necromancer minions are entirely undead. The key thing is player necromancers in GW1 and GW2 hardly, if ever at all, use humanoid/clearly human/sapient race looking minions. Both games necromancers heavily deal with undead though.

    The shade can be somewhat considered along the lines of demons, but it's not really the same thing.

    Being honest there are no real figures in GW that summon demons, there are some who lead demonic forces but not really any who actively summon demonic figures and control them. The only one I can really think of who might sorta fit that bill would be the Charr who was working with fleshreavers in Gw1, and maybe Varesh as others said.

  • draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

    What's the context of the question?

    It feels like you're looking for a revenant legend, in which case Varesh or Kanaxai could both work.

    In Varesh's case, she certainly does a lot of demon summoning, primarily of Margonites but of other Torment demons as well. Strictly speaking, it was Abaddon who was sending them to her, but if it's a revenant legend, such technicalities might not really matter. The main problem there would be that we already have an Abaddon-linked legend.

    In Kanaxai's case... he was really only associated with oni from a demonic perspective. Most of the other stuff in the Deep is beefed-up examples of other Jade Sea wildlife.

    @ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

    @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    I wouldn't call Shiro'ken "demonic". They were constructs made of bone and metal, and made mobile by imprisoned souls (much like the Forged, in fact). While Afflicted were basically a unique form of undead.

    Quote marks to me shows that "Demonic" is a loose term. Plus Shiro'ken look exactly like demons.

    Nah, they're actually mostly modelled off Canthan creatures. Rangers were based off Tengu, monks off kirin, necromancers off mantids, mesmers off phoenixes, elementalists off Saltsprays, ritualists off nagas, and melee Shiro'ken are based off humanoid armour.

    I'm not sure I'd call Afflicted undead per se - the mechanics for someone becoming an Afflicted on-screen was basically that they 'died' and got back up again, but I always had the impression that lorewise they were still technically alive, just heavily mutated and driven insane.

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    What's the context of the question?

    It feels like you're looking for a revenant legend, in which case Varesh or Kanaxai could both work.

    In Varesh's case, she certainly does a lot of demon summoning, primarily of Margonites but of other Torment demons as well. Strictly speaking, it was Abaddon who was sending them to her, but if it's a revenant legend, such technicalities might not really matter. The main problem there would be that we already have an Abaddon-linked legend.

    In Kanaxai's case... he was really only associated with oni from a demonic perspective. Most of the other stuff in the Deep is beefed-up examples of other Jade Sea wildlife.

    @ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

    @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    I wouldn't call Shiro'ken "demonic". They were constructs made of bone and metal, and made mobile by imprisoned souls (much like the Forged, in fact). While Afflicted were basically a unique form of undead.

    Quote marks to me shows that "Demonic" is a loose term. Plus Shiro'ken look exactly like demons.

    Nah, they're actually mostly modelled off Canthan creatures. Rangers were based off Tengu, monks off kirin, necromancers off mantids, mesmers off phoenixes, elementalists off Saltsprays, ritualists off nagas, and melee Shiro'ken are based off humanoid armour.

    I'm not sure I'd call Afflicted undead per se - the mechanics for someone becoming an Afflicted on-screen was basically that they 'died' and got back up again, but I always had the impression that lorewise they were still technically alive, just heavily mutated and driven insane.

    ok this helped me out a lot. everything in this thread. thank you all

  • Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I suppose Kahyet also demon summoning abilities too, as she had grasp of chaos guarding her.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.