why do all 1 and 2 handed melee weapons have the same range? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

why do all 1 and 2 handed melee weapons have the same range?

doesn't anyone else find this odd? I only just noticed this. seems like 2 handers would have slightly more range.

Te lazla otstra.
nerf list

Comments

  • Klowdy.3126Klowdy.3126 Member ✭✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    doesn't anyone else find this odd? I only just noticed this. seems like 2 handers would have slightly more range.

    Revenant hammer is 1200 range, I think the AA is up to 1500.

  • @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    why do all 1 and 2 handed melee weapons have the same range?
    doesn't anyone else find this odd? I only just noticed this. seems like 2 handers would have slightly more range.

    Not in this game. All weapons in this game channel magic, so the nature of the weapon almost never matches 1:1 the counterparts that look the same in our world. And it's not true that "all" weapons have equal range. Take mesmer: the GS is 1200 range laser beam, staff is a 1200r laser orb, scepter is a 900r laser bolt, axe & sword are strictly melee.

    Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    why do all 1 and 2 handed melee weapons have the same range?
    doesn't anyone else find this odd? I only just noticed this. seems like 2 handers would have slightly more range.

    Not in this game. All weapons in this game channel magic, so the nature of the weapon almost never matches 1:1 the counterparts that look the same in our world. And it's not true that "all" weapons have equal range. Take mesmer: the GS is 1200 range laser beam, staff is a 1200r laser orb, scepter is a 900r laser bolt, axe & sword are strictly melee.

    "magic" lol. classic.

    Te lazla otstra.
    nerf list

  • Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭

    I believe they don't make 1-handed and 2-handed mainly for range but the skill, if you use 1-handed you can carry a off-hand which provide support/defense/offense but if you use 2-handed you go on full offense.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Range is universally based on weapon skills likely to avoid obvious advantages to larger characters and weapons..

    Max size Norn using a Greatsword would always have a range advantage over an Asura otherwise.

  • Arcaedus.7290Arcaedus.7290 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I think OP is talking about weapons that are used as melee weapons, and also referencing auto-attack, or skills that otherwise involve standing still and striking with the weapon.

    @Stand The Wall.6987 As far as auto attacks on melee weapons go, yes - all melee weapons have the same range. So both greatsword on warrior, and dagger on thief swing and strike targets up to 130 units away from you. I think at the end of the day this is rather inconsequential though since auto attack doesn't constitute the majority of what you do in pvp or wvw, and the range of your auto attack doesn't really make a difference in fractals and raids (you're gonna be stacked with every1 else anyways).

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Arcaedus.7290 said:
    I think at the end of the day this is rather inconsequential though since auto attack doesn't constitute the majority of what you do in pvp or wvw, and the range of your auto attack doesn't really make a difference in fractals and raids (you're gonna be stacked with every1 else anyways).

    it would make a small difference in pvp/ wvw, but yes mostly it would be inconsequential. that's not the point tho, the point is it doesn't make any sense. how does a staff have the same reach as a dagger?

    Te lazla otstra.
    nerf list

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.