PvP build without GS or Spellbreaker?

Romgaard.1965

Axe/shield, dagger/shield, hammer, sword/axe, axe/mace should all be viable either on core or on one of the E-Specs. YMMV depending on personal skill and the skill of your opponents, but that is the case with every build.

I know you mentioned exceptions to Spellbreaker, but the dagger/shield call out there is fairly good. You are right that there is a fair amount of GS, but with the new Berserker rollout you see more of them about albeit with GS/Rifles getting their Meme on.

Dag/axe - axe shield is a fun combo aswell.Dont think that meta is the best thing there is because youre able to make other stuff work aswell if you take the time to make a non meta build of your own which also surprises people because,they all expect meta.

Yeah, just find what works for you and what 'feels right.' Not everyone likes GS, and it certainly needs some quality of life updates. Hammer may not do as much damage per hit, but the shear amount of CC is lolz. Sword/Axe is another not-quite-meta weapon set that is fairly versatile. Sword2->Axe5, Axe4->Sword3 are very good combos on a power build. If you run sword I recommend going Berserker so you don't have a gimped F1, Flurry needs a massive update and Flaming Flurry from the Berserker E-Spec is useful even on a power build.

Can it be done? Yes. But why? GS is the warrior's best weapon and SB its best spec. Why gimp yourself by using underpowered and outdated weapons and specs.

I understand your frustration though, its 2019 and fast hands still isnt baseline, Arms still sucks, mace is still laughably bad, sword F1 still does no damage, the list goes on.

Warrior has very little build diversity. If it wasn't for the interaction between Magebane Tether and Might Makes Right, warrior would literally not have a viable pvp build.

Without Greatsword (but with Spellbreaker) you can try something like this:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAseSjMdQnHW2BuhApIWICM8gcR+Jr8FmebBjAwHsnB-jpxHABwfEAsvMAAPAg3PEADcCAMb/BA

It's not really good, but feels different and works somehow.

Also different (Core-Warrior):http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAseTjMdQnHW2BuhApIGICM9LM92CWA4D2zwTwL45B-jpBHQBpZ/hHeEAGwDAIflBAwhAwAnAAA

Edit: Use another rune and she GS trait in strength, is better ^_^

Ans you could try Berserker with Mace/Shield + Sword/Torch on condition.These are all just inspirations, there are a ton of build that work, depending on your skill and ranking :-)

But the best still is Greatsword+Spellbreaker and without that it is really hard to reach something in higher tiers.

@Girth.9731 said:Can it be done? Yes. But why? GS is the warrior's best weapon and SB its best spec. Why kitten yourself by using underpowered and outdated weapons and specs.

I understand your frustration though, its 2019 and fast hands still isnt baseline, Arms still sucks, mace is still laughably bad, sword F1 still does no damage, the list goes on.

Warrior has very little build diversity. If it wasn't for the interaction between Magebane Tether and Might Makes Right, warrior would literally not have a viable pvp build.

There is a great reason why ... because if your opponent sees you coming as a warrior with a GS ... he has a REALLY good idea of what you are going to do. That might work against scrubs at the lead level, but a pro will PWN you ...

So yeah, if you want play predicable against knowledgeable foes and lose, keep rocking the GS.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Girth.9731 said:Can it be done? Yes. But why? GS is the warrior's best weapon and SB its best spec. Why kitten yourself by using underpowered and outdated weapons and specs.

There is a great reason why ... because if your opponent sees you coming as a warrior with a GS ... he has a REALLY good idea of what you are going to do. That might work against scrubs at the lead level, but a pro will PWN you ...

So yeah, if you want play predicable against knowledgeable foes and lose, keep rocking the GS.

What? This doesn't even make sense. Rather than pick some trash weapon just change up how you play with the GS a little if you are concerned about predictability. And what? You think people don't know how hammer works? or mace? GS has been a warrior mainstay since 2012 for good reason, and it won't change until Anet buffs the trash tier weapons like mace and longbow.

@Girth.9731 said:

What? This doesn't even make sense. Rather than pick some trash weapon just change up how you play with the GS a little if you are concerned about predictability. And what? You think people don't know how hammer works? or mace? GS has been a warrior mainstay since 2012 for good reason, and it won't change until Anet buffs the trash tier weapons like mace and longbow.

I'm going to have to second this one. Don't play like a noob and blow things off CD.

@Girth.9731 said:

Really? So if you don't pick GS ... you are trash? OK then. I guess we have a much different interpretation of how to make an effective build.

i'm not arguing GS isn't a mainstay; it's just predicable .. .and yes, if you play less known weapons, people are less likely to know how you will use it. Is PVP in GW2 so scripted that what you choose is more important that how you play it? That's what your post indicates. Is every other weapon SO deficient to GS that even if you play it in an unpredicatable manner, it can't win in capable hands?

@Obtena.7952 said:

Really? So if you don't pick GS ... you are trash?

Pretty sure that's not what he wrote/meant.

i'm not arguing GS isn't a mainstay; it's just predicable .. .and yes, if you play less known weapons, people are less likely to know how you will use it. Is PVP in GW2 so scripted that what you choose is more important that how you play it? That's what your post indicates.

You just said that gs "might work against scrubs at the lead level, but a pro will PWN you ...", sooo what you're saying is that a "pro" only knows 2 most used weapons per class and when you change the weap from the meta/fotm, it will make the same "pro player" confused about what it does? Ok then. Can't say I agree with that wanna-be argument though.It's also not about it "being scripted", but about what each of the weapons has to offer. Some options are better/more optimal than the others whether you like it or not.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

i'm not arguing GS isn't a mainstay; it's just predicable .. .and yes, if you play less known weapons, people are less likely to know how you will use it. Is PVP in GW2 so scripted that what you choose is more important that how you play it? That's what your post indicates.

You just said that gs "
might work against scrubs at the lead level, but a pro will PWN you ...
", sooo what you're saying is that a "pro" only knows 2 most used weapons per class and when you change the weap from the meta/fotm, it will make the same "pro player" confused about what it does? Ok then. Can't say I agree with that wanna-be argument thoug

It's a simply question here ... is everything so outclassed by GS that nothing else matters? Other weapons? Player skill? That's what I'm hearing from some people.

@Obtena.7952 said:

You just said that gs "
might work against scrubs at the lead level, but a pro will PWN you ...
", sooo what you're saying is that a "pro" only knows 2 most used weapons per class and when you change the weap from the meta/fotm, it will make the same "pro player" confused about what it does? Ok then. Can't say I agree with that wanna-be argument thoug

It's a simply question here ... is everything so outclassed by GS that nothing else matters? Other weapons? Player skill? That's what I'm hearing from some people.

Of course the weapon isn't the only thing that matters. But the weapon choice and what it offers also does matter.

• Confused 1

Sure, you are right it's not black and white. That's why I'm questioning. Clearly people think there is no competitive play if you don't use a GS ... if that's true, it indicates a situation in this game where choices of gear matter much more than player skill, knowledge, etc ... is that the case? is every other factor outclassed by choosing the right gear? In this discussion it's the GS.

I would like to think it's not, because other weapons are not so far away from the GS in terms of performance and effectiveness. GOOD competitive games ... gear is irrelevant actually. it's purely a question of player skill.

@Obtena.7952 said:Sure, you are right it's not black and white. That's why I'm questioning. Clearly people think there is no competitive play if you don't use a GS ... if that's true, it indicates a situation in this game where choices of gear matter much more than player skill, knowledge, etc ... is that the case? is every other factor outclassed by choosing the right gear? In this discussion it's the GS.

I would like to think it's not, because other weapons are not so far away from the GS in terms of performance and effectiveness. GOOD competitive games ... gear is irrelevant actually. it's purely a question of player skill.

Gw2 seems to have left this ideology.

@Obtena.7952 said:

What makes you think that hammer, mace or axe are less predictable?! They are however much less useful. So GL with that.

Also, I am sure all these highly rated warriors in ranked and AT using GS/ dagger and shield are scrubs. They should should follow your advice and use.. hmm.. hammer?! I am sure they will be rocking hard in G3 instead of P3-legendary.

Since warrior right now is most effective as sidenoder and the teamfighting capabillities are rather meh, its necessary to move around the map quick, because rotations are everything in pvp.Alone for that reason gs will be the top weapon for warrior in pvp.

Other options are just so slow.

Edit: the "being predictable" - argument is kitten, because all warrior weapons clearly show what the heck the warrior is going to do, all their animations are telegraphed af, and ppl by now know very much what each of them does

@"RedShark.9548" said:Since warrior right now is most effective as sidenoder and the teamfighting capabillities are rather meh, its necessary to move around the map quick, because rotations are everything in pvp.Alone for that reason gs will be the top weapon for warrior in pvp.

Other options are just so slow.

Edit: the "being predictable" - argument is kitten, because all warrior weapons clearly show what the heck the warrior is going to do, all their animations are telegraphed af, and ppl by now know very much what each of them does

Yeah, I'd like fewer windups and tells honestly. Like, Backbreaker aught to come out quick. Final Thrust for that matter as well.