Bring Back the old Gift of Battle

Golemancer.6215

Why is Gift of Battle only obtainable via reward track?In addition to reward track, I think this seriously needs to have an alternate option for an outright purchase as it used to be.Don't get me wrong, I've farmed several gifts of battle (4) since the rework a while ago, but here's the point:The Gift of Battle is the only PVP oriented gift, for legendary weapons, that cannot be outright purchased with a currency.PvP> Gift of Glory purchased from Miyani for 250 shards of glory.WvW>Gift of War purchased from Miyani for 250 Memories of Battle.WvW>Gif of Battle farmed for a minimum of 6 hours with max boosters.

I think the consistency is my issue here; either make an alternate option for players who don't WvW a lot, or make every aforementioned gift a reward track only option in PvP formats.

Personal addendum:I really do not WvW a lot. I am currently only like rank 68 I think. Every minute I have stepped foot in WvW has only been to farm the Gift of Battle.I know I am not the only one who feels this way. As a PvE oriented player mainly, I would prefer to not be forced to play WvW for hours to get the Gift of Battle.I loved the days when you could hit the NPC in Lions Arch and buy your gift of battle outright. I stocked up on 2 of them before the switchover to reward track.I do not play PvP at all, but I was able to purchase both the Gift of Glory, and the Gift of War in 2 seconds. Seems odd.

Would it be easy, to simply add back the merchant in Lions Arch for players who want the option, or simply add it to Miyani's lists?

Thanks.

@Offair.2563 said:Yush bring back the old gift of battle. 4 maps to get on 100% and 500 badges. Make it happen anet.

Actually, the Gift of Battle was only 500 badges at the time. The 100% on all 4 WvW maps were required for map completion (which was/is required to get Gifts of Exploration).In fairness I'd say if one is brought back the other one should be as well - and retroactively - so we'd have to earn WvW map completion on all prior toons before we can buy new GoB's :)

@Purgatori.3645 said:2 evenings in WVW to get gift of battle is a far cry from a die hard WVW'er who has to do all of Tyria to obtain Gift of Exploration ....

Perspective ....

Devil's advocate. You always had to do world completion in order to make a legendary. But for over 4 years in this game you only had to acquire 500 badge of honors to purchase GoB. Its not like GoE was suddenly forced on you guys after 4+ years of playing the game, but that is exactly what happened with GoB.

@hmsgoddess.3869 said:Why? gift of Battle is super easy to get, using the badges of honor from the old days is bad. Guilds need those for guild siege and there are also a number of other things to spend those on. I like the new way of earning the gift of battle.

"Super easy" would be purchasing it outright for tokens. Go farm an item for 6 hours of your time, then tell me if it was "super easy" to get.Consistency is the point.

my biggest issue with it is that it forces purely pve focused players, who are in pve builds and gear. To WvW when they don't want to or like that game mode. And those players take the spots from wvw players on prime time wvw.Result: wvw commanders leaving because they are stuck with non-combat ready players who are only there for an arbitrary item they need for their chosen shiny.

Sure its nice to see more players in wvw on low pop server maps. but on a high or full server it does not help at all.

I am strictly PVE ... I bought one gift of battle (old days), I purchased another gift of battle with wvw potions I earned from the "Big Spender" that rolls around every 3-4 days or so. 80 potions = Gift of Battle reward track. Granted the big spender still requires you to spend 25 tokens to get the potion but there are options here. Seriously though .... 2 evenings on at prime time with a Commander and zerg that has any clue whatsoever on how to traverse WVW and you could have your GOB in one afternoon :3 If acquiring this is the crappiest thing about your whole journey in building a legendary then I think your still winning.

GoB takes anywhere between 3.2 to 7.7 hrs (dependent on WvW rank, Max Participation, and Boosters) to complete, which is a lot faster to acquire than the previous method when starting from a zero sum.

Players can also get it without ever leaving WvW Spawn using the Two Currency Converters.

Plus here is this, a little outdated but still very relevant. https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/Gift-of-Battle-What-to-know/first#post6577368.

And if 3.2- 7.7 hrs is too hard how do you think people feel about having to do 20+ hrs minimum for the PvE requirements of GoE and GoM not to include all Collection items needed.

@Justine.6351 said:You know, I give up...

Put the Gift of Battle on some PvE merchant and the Gift of Insights on some WvW merchant and call it a day.

Or just play each game mode if you wanna make a legendary. It's a few hours in WvW. I'm not going to justify that by saying I have to do more hours of PvE to make Legendaries. I mean really there's no part to Legendaries that aren't just a massive time suck of things I don't want to do or acquire. However I just accept that when I went to make a Legendary that I'm going to have to do the things that it takes to do so.

Like of all the things there are to complain about GW2, this topic has always seemed so shallow and such a minor thing to complain about.

Sure. Just allow me to complete MY world completion in WvW. I'll trade the GoB vendor for me only having to do the WvW completion.

They already made this easier. Just do the track. If you don't like the track, as people for help. Most will, but like any of the game modes, you will have people that are not helpful and are kind of nasty. Ignore them.

@Kodiak.3281 said:

Put the Gift of Battle on some PvE merchant and the Gift of Insights on some WvW merchant and call it a day.

Or just play each game mode if you wanna make a legendary.
It's a few hours in WvW.
I'm not going to justify that by saying I have to do more hours of PvE to make Legendaries. I mean really there's no part to Legendaries that aren't just a massive time kitten of things I don't want to do or acquire. However I just accept that when I went to make a Legendary that I'm going to have to do the things that it takes to do so.

Like of all the things there are to complain about GW2, this topic has always seemed so shallow and such a minor thing to complain about.

?I'm rank 3k lol.Suggesting to end these type of threads by just compromising with pvers getting their gift of battle in pve and wvwers not having to get 100 useless mastery points in pve.

To continue on this line of thought. Let us say we restore the merchant with the Gift of Battle for 500 badges. And then also make a merchant in WvW that you can spend (ex) 5000 badges to instantly get 100% map completion in pve. You know, to be fair, and let WvW players actually get around the actual time tedious task.

How much will this de-value legendaries ? How much less desirable will they be ? How much less exclusive etc ? The legendaries are 90% vanity items, to show off to show how awesome you are etc. If you take that away from a Legendary, what is it really ?

On the other hand, for the 10% that actually prefers them for the utility aspect (stat swap!, lets just transmog away that ugly sparkle skin and never use it ever again!), it would be a 100% pure gain however.

Its strange that these GoB threads keep popping up. We had this discussion right after players were giving warning that they were going to change, it was a very small post that went by unnoticed to pve players since they ignore wvw info on patch notes. After it was changed their was a large thread with pve players complaining they had to play wvw for the GoB. Some of those players had hundreds of badges of honor and that was the only thing that they were going to buy in wvw. Now we keep seeing thread like these pop up every now and then because people are complaining that they have to do something outside their comfort zone to finish their legendary :P. A-net wants players that have legendaries to experience all of the game modes and hopefully help out the newer players or find part other part of that game that could be fun for them.

The old method was fine, but when achievement rewards were introduced everyone got wvw currency for doing absolutely nothing in wvw. it doesn't really make sense to revert it back to the old system. They could make it a random drop for keep lords or SM lord but that would make it even harder to get.

Archived