Dueling/Arena? (PvP)

Yuyo.5697

Because every time duelling gets raised the community backlash against the idea.

A search of the forums should give both dev and community responses in it.

As for smaller arenas, given pvp support is minimal, I’m not seeing any new additions. Guild Halls by and large fill that gap and I assume custom arenas

@Randulf.7614 said:Because every time duelling gets raised the community backlash against the idea.

As for smaller arenas, given pvp support is minimal, I’m not seeing any new additions. Guild Halls by and large fill that gap and I assume custom arenas

Actually that’s not true, dueling has been requested a lot of times, many people want it.I remember Ben saying that implementing such a system would mean a lot of work, and it’s just time the team doesn’t have.

@noot.8641 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Because every time duelling gets raised the community backlash against the idea.

Actually that’s not true, dueling has been requested a lot of times, many people want it.I remember Ben saying that implementing such a system would mean a lot of work, and it’s just time the team doesn’t have.

It does get requested a lot and the response has always been overwhelmingly negative to it.

Duelling and open world pvp prob has the most negative reactions of any suggestion I’ve seen in this game over 7 years

@noot.8641 said:

Actually it is (mostly) true. Dueling in PvE has been requested a lot of times, and has had a vocal majority on the forums saying no to such an implementation.

@Yuyo.5697

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:I guess I’ll post ANet’s word about open world PvP and dueling again.

Open world PvP 
“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

Either is unlikely to happen for reasons of cost, Dev time and going against the cooperative philosophy behind PvE in this game.

@kratan.4619 said:No thanks, the PvP waiting area would be the only place this feature would be appropriate, never in the open world. I for one do not want to even see people dueling in town spamming a light show of spell effects.

well its a good thing that people were happy not to duel there either due to the cluster of people on mounts with aura effects obstructing the duels..

Personally I like the idea of using Arenas for people to spectate, learn and participate with all aspects of the community.

@noot.8641 said:A lot of voters were in favor for it, and a lot were against it, it was more a split decision.I just wanted to point out the real reason why we dont have dueling enabled.

It has never been a split, or even remotely close thing. Its always been overwhelmingly no, as it should. Pvp exists in it's own areas/formats for a reason, go there.

@Its Nerfing Time.1495 said:

@noot.8641 said:A lot of voters were in favor for it, and a lot were against it, it was more a split decision.I just wanted to point out the real reason why we dont have dueling enabled.

It has never been a split, or even remotely close thing. Its
always
been overwhelmingly no, as it should. Pvp exists in it's own areas/formats for a reason, go there.

I mean if you ask the PVE community if they want dueling enabled, sure most will say no, and as we all know PVE has a lot more players.So yeah, make more pvp related threads in a PVE section.The only real reason we don't have dueling is because the balance split between pvp and pve, you gonna have to make a part of every map a dueling area with pvp balance rules.What they could do tho, make a dedicated map for dueling, where all the people go to if they wanna duel, they already made a map like that, but ofc they have to charge money for it, and when u charge money for it, its not gonna be populated.

@noot.8641 said:

Its never been split. Ive counted unique votes/responses on just about every one of the threads that lasts for more than a day(due to them getting merged with a much older thread), and its always overwhelmingly negative towards the idea. There are a few pro duel posters who respond so often that it makes it look like there are more people for it than there actually are. The last thread i counted only 3 people out of 40 where pro dueling, so while still a vocal minority, the last major(and i mean 20 pages plus thread) i counted had 40 for and well over 100 against. Thats not taking into account those like myself who would be okay with a compromise.

@Dante.1763 said:

Its never been split. Ive counted unique votes/responses on just about every one of the threads that lasts for more than a day(due to them getting merged with a much older thread), and its always overwhelmingly negative towards the idea. There are a few pro duel posters who respond so often that it makes it look like there are more people for it than there actually are. The last thread i counted only 3 people out of 40 where pro dueling.

@noot.8641Create a new poll if you want current numbers. Dueling and Open world PvP are different beasts. Played open world pvp in other games but can see how its not for everyone and don't think a traditional version of it would work here. A Destiny 2 type of PvPvE though, could be worked in. The old 1v1 pvp also seemed quite often to come down what build countered what but could see that coming back. ESO's version somewhat works but can be annoying when it happens while you are passing by or when getting unwanted requests if you don't have the auto-reject option on.

@Dante.1763 said:

Its never been split. Ive counted unique votes/responses on just about every one of the threads that lasts for more than a day(due to them getting merged with a much older thread), and its always overwhelmingly negative towards the idea. There are a few pro duel posters who respond so often that it makes it look like there are more people for it than there actually are. The last thread i counted only 3 people out of 40 where pro dueling, so while still a vocal minority, the last major(and i mean 20 pages plus thread) i counted had 40 for and well over 100 against. Thats not taking into account those like myself who would be okay with a compromise.

That's weird, because i just opened a thread where Ben P responded his answer about dueling, and guess what, there was a poll in there, majority voted they wanted it.That's what i'm saying if you make this thread in a PvP section ppl would vote yes mostly, put in a PvE section, most ppl will vote no.I know dueling in open world will never be added, i just wanted to show you that a lot of ppl actually want it.What i do hope for is that they make a dueling map where everyone can join for free, not where u have to pay 1k gems for a pass.

@noot.8641 said:

It has never been a split, or even remotely close thing. Its
always
been overwhelmingly no, as it should. Pvp exists in it's own areas/formats for a reason, go there.

I mean if you ask the PVE community if they want dueling enabled, sure most will say no, and as we all know PVE has a lot more players.So yeah, make more pvp related threads in a PVE section.The only real reason we don't have dueling is because the balance split between pvp and pve, you gonna have to make a part of every map a dueling area with pvp balance rules.What they could do tho, make a dedicated map for dueling, where all the people go to if they wanna duel, they already made a map like that, but ofc they have to charge money for it, and when u charge money for it, its not gonna be populated.

There is 0 point in making more threads about mixing pvp and pve, you have wvw for that. You want to duel? Go wvw, it's pvp.

making pvp threads in the pve section is akin to spam, and will be flagged for it

@noot.8641 said:

That's weird, because i just opened a thread where Ben P responded his answer about dueling, and guess what, there was a poll in there, majority voted they wanted it.

i looked in both the PVP and WVW thread sections and then checked -YOUR- forum page to see the discussions youd started(Yes its shown), and saw nothing on the this thread you started, so where is it?

@noot.8641 said:

That's weird, because i just opened a thread where Ben P responded his answer about dueling, and guess what, there was a poll in there, majority voted they wanted it.Link?

Just? Eighteen months ago is 'just opened'? And you are posting under two different Display Names?

If you are posting under different Display Names, how do we know those voting aren't doing the same?

Also, here's Ben P.'s response in said thread: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/695146/#Comment_695146

I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.