I had turn a friend away from Mesmer :(

excelsior.2168

Got a friend in to guild wars 2 lately and he asked about the mesmer. Forlorned, I had to tell him that Anet has consistently nerfed this class and is probably not the best first choice for a new player. Beforehand, I would have said, "Yes, the mesmer is super fun to play and you should def pick it! I'll teach you all the mesmer ways!".

It is just so sad to me that a class I've played in the original Guild Wars and have mained since GW2 launched, I'm now having to tell new players to not pick this class if they want to do anything outside of PvE. This class is so unique from what I've seen of other mmos and Anet has ruined it. Consistently. Anet, what is it that y'all want mesmer to be? Because this is getting ridiculous. It's supposed to be a magical dueling class (from the lore and all) and yet you destroy the mesmer's very means to duel effectively. So much so that it's not even viable in PvP. Which if you forgot, is PLAYER versus PLAYER.

Ugh. Fix the mesmer

P.S. I'm having a lot of feelings seeing my favorite class of...I don't know over 10 years across 2 games be stomped into the dirt. Has anyone else had to turn a friend away from mesmer that really wanted to play it?

@Fueki.4753 said:I'm enjoying my Mesmer these days.

Can you elaborate a bit more? In which format do you enjoy your mesmer, PvE, PvP, WvW?

I ask because I still use my mesmer, he runs through events, the story, and crafting (PvE). But outside of that I do not play him much in other formats. And again in PvE, I feel (other people have crunched the numbers on this) that I must work SOOOO much harder to achieve a good burst of damage (condi or just damage in general) in PvE content compared to other classes I play. Should also note, I am not a min/max player. I play with what I have and what I like. Even with that, mesmer lacks so much compared to the other classes I play.

@excelsior.2168 said:

Can you elaborate a bit more? In which format do you enjoy your mesmer, PvE, PvP, WvW?

I ask because I still use my mesmer, he runs through events, the story, and crafting (PvE). But outside of that I do not play him much in other formats. And again in PvE, I feel (other people have crunched the numbers on this) that I must work SOOOO much harder to achieve a good burst of damage (condi or just damage in general) in PvE content compared to other classes I play. Should also note, I am not a min/max player. I play with what I have and what I like. Even with that, mesmer lacks so much compared to the other classes I play.

It's a joke, he's just admitting he's a masochist.

@Xstein.2187 said:

It's a joke, he's just admitting he's a masochist.

Ain't nothing wrong with that. I'd like to have a serious convo about what we as a player/mesmer base can do to get Anet to fix this class.

Mesmer are pretty weird and have many boring concept tbh.

I love the class, I made it and stop it early, then come back again and again..I love the concept but to many thing are annoying and don't make sense.

Clone die to fast in any serious encounter.Same for phantasm who are our main damage source.As soon as the target die, their is no re-targeting for Illusion, they just vanish leaving you alone against all...

It just so incredibly annoying..And it in PvE, can't imagine in PvP with much more damage and Aoe + the new single dodge.

This class feel totally unfinished.

@excelsior.2168 said:Can you elaborate a bit more? In which format do you enjoy your mesmer, PvE, PvP, WvW?Open World solo PvEMappingWvW DailiesStory (except for most LS4 bosses and the first mission of Episode 3, which are disgusting by design)Cold War Strike MissionBounties (although I still need four legendaries for my Funerary Greatsword)

I mostly use a Greatsword Chronomancer Shatter DPS Build for these.It's probably far from optimal, but I think it's fun.

@Xstein.2187 said:It's a joke, he's just admitting he's a masochist.Are you sure about that male pronoun you're using for me?Because I'm not so sure about it.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@excelsior.2168 said:Can you elaborate a bit more? In which format do you enjoy your mesmer, PvE, PvP, WvW?Open World solo PvEMappingWvW DailiesStory (except for most LS4 bosses and the first mission of Episode 3, which are disgusting by design)Cold War Strike MissionBounties (although I still need four legendaries for my Funerary Greatsword)

I mostly use a Greatsword Chronomancer Shatter DPS Build for these.

Has the bar really dropped so far?

...Time to call James Cameron

@Senqu.8054 said:

@Senqu.8054 said:Has the bar really dropped so far?

Is enjoyment something that can be measured with a bar?I certainly don't think so.

Jep that’s what I mean, enjoyment in OW-PvE is the bar for Mesmer. Everything above that is ..well, to much wanted.

That's definitely not a bar though. At least I never have seen a bar that can measure opinions on fun.That bar (not the person using it) must be a Mesmer at least ten times as powerful as Lyssa.I've seen some people who enjoy Mesmer in all kinds of context and are even successful there.Also, last time I checked, neither Cold War, the story, nor WvW were Open World.

If they were slightly more accessible and time difference wasn't a factor, I'd probably even try to do and enjoy raids.

@Fueki.4753 said:

Is enjoyment something that can be measured with a bar?I certainly don't think so.

Jep that’s what I mean, enjoyment in OW-PvE is the bar for Mesmer. Everything above that is ..well, to much wanted.

That's definitely not a bar though. At least I never have seen a bar that can measure
opinions
on fun.That bar (not the person using it) must be a Mesmer
at least
ten times as powerful as Lyssa.I've seen some people who enjoy Mesmer in all kinds of context and are even successful there.Also, last time I checked, neither Cold War, the story, nor WvW were Open World.

If they were slightly more accessible and time difference wasn't a factor, I'd probably even try to do and enjoy raids.

ok sorry, mate xD

@Senqu.8054 said:

I mostly use a Greatsword Chronomancer Shatter DPS Build for these.

Has the bar really dropped so far?

...Time to call James Cameron

The bar is so low that not even Hermès Conrad can limbo it.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Everyone (and myself) no need to be hostile.

@Fueki.4753 It is perfectly okay to enjoy Mesmer that way. Nothing wrong with it. What some people and I are saying is that enjoyment of Mesmer is currently a bit limited to those areas, in other areas one has to put in a lot more work and still get mediocre results. People who also want to enjoy their Mesmer in PvP or WvW are experiencing a situation that is not so full of fun. And that is not a new thing but has been the general trend since 2018. And this has made people who like to play Mesmer in those parts of the game a bit angry. Many have left and the rest are a bit bitter. That's why you sometimes get negative reactions when you say things like "Mesmer is in a good spot because I enjoy doing the raptor egg event in Province Metrica on my Mesmer." Are you wrong to enjoy that? No, of course not. But is it the right thing to add in a discussion about a player who stopped playing Mesmer?

as a guard main who tried getting into mesmer about 1.5-2 years ago, i can totally understand why someone would tell his/her friends not to play mesmer.ANet has a history of nerfing and reworking mesmer which required you to turn your whole build and playstyle upside-down.while that might be fine for a mesmer main who is deeply commited to the class, it is not for someone who is just getting into it. let alone a new player who is already busy enough getting an understanding for the class' core mechanics and the game itself.

Am I masochist if I enjoy playing cMirage in PvP and pMirage WvW while doing everything in PvE as chrono? I mean.. am I masochist?Anyway, this class got nerfs, yeah. But skill > class is always the way.I wouldn't recommend this class to any newbie player as first class. It's way too hardcore.

@LKEY.9567 said:

I wouldn't recommend this class to any newbie player as first class. It's way too hardcore nerfed.

Fixed that one for you. You can get easily 140% the dps with trash gear on any other class. Unless your newbie idea of fun is using the clones to distract PvE enemies and taking 2x as long to kill anything as any other class, if so, go for it.

I enjoy playing chrono in PVE. In raids chrono (and mirage) are very strong. If you play fractals and you are good you shouldn't look at "meta" comps missing chrono, yes it is worse than other meta dps, but it is better when the comp is not meta. You shouldn't do it in cms maybe, but if you don't have a firebrand in your team and playing with druid you can run the "seize the moment" trait with the "classical" dps build and provide permanent quickness without wells and without any boon duration. That is not meta, but it is not very far from it.My point is if people don't put 5 stars near chrono in those stupid websites, it doesn't mean chrono is unplayable. It is maybe 4 stars and needs buffs certainly, but if you want to you can play chrono very well in any content except pvps.In pvp yes, it is kinda badish.. or I'd say some other classes are very strong. I play unranked with power mirage and while it is underperforming heavily it is super fun because I still manage to dominate in those games from time to time.To conclude. Yes mesmer is in a bad spot right now but if you wanna make mesmer work, you can.

I have no issues at all with mirage in PvE. It has tools and damage for every situation in OW. It does okay damage in group setting.

I personally hate the phantasm farm that is power chrono, but it works.

Mesmer in PvE is solid.

If you are new to GW2, and you are here for PvP (not sure why that is), Mesmer balance is least of your worries. You want to drop this game ASAP.