Eater of Souls fight is too difficult.

Bloodtau.4672

@Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:I still don't understand what the problem was with this. I beat him with auto attack by walking backwards. The only time I used a different attack was when he lunged to break his break bar. Nothing fancy, just walk backwards, he's too slow to hit you if you just keep walking backwards, and keep him from using his move. It took forever, but it was completely successful. This was before the nerf.

He sucks you in too you cant just keep walking backwards if you not doing enough damage it will just be a stalemate forever. That was before any nerfs.

That means you're not breaking his break bar. Obviously if you're not breaking his break bar you're not going to get anywhere, but it also means you're entirely failing this fight since his break bar is insanely easy to break.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:I still don't understand what the problem was with this. I beat him with auto attack by walking backwards. The only time I used a different attack was when he lunged to break his break bar. Nothing fancy, just walk backwards, he's too slow to hit you if you just keep walking backwards, and keep him from using his move. It took forever, but it was completely successful. This was before the nerf.

He sucks you in too you cant just keep walking backwards if you not doing enough damage it will just be a stalemate forever. That was before any nerfs.

That means you're not breaking his break bar. Obviously if you're not breaking his break bar you're not going to get anywhere, but it also means you're entirely failing this fight since his break bar is insanely easy to break.

Yah like I said I did it once before any nerfs. Without changing my equipment or redoing story but by bugging him on my ultra survival ranger. If I didnt bug him I would have been in a stalemate with him forever as I wasnt doing enough dps. I only came into this thread in response to the guy that was baiting earlier.

Yah like I said I did it once before any nerfs. Without changing my equipment or redoing story but by bugging him on my ultra survival ranger. If I didnt bug him I would have been in a stalemate with him forever as I wasnt doing enough dps. I only came into this thread in response to the guy that was baiting earlier.

Ultra survival ranger. That sounds like my build. Cleric gear and signets with longbow. And I beat him by walking backwards and auto-attacking. So...

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

Ultra survival ranger. That sounds like my build. Cleric gear and signets with longbow. And I beat him by walking backwards and auto-attacking. So...

Ok you go with that story but mine is authentic.

Facts, guy. This was a cake walk before they nerfed it. Just break his break bar and he can't use his special attack. He doesn't pull you in, he doesn't heal up, he just follows you dumbly unable to do anything. I had to do this stupid thing twice because the first time it crashed while I was talking to Joko after the fight. It worked both times, it was pathetically easy, and this was in the first week on PoF. If you had issues, and you're not looking at serious lag problems, then the only possible issue is severely lacking skill. It isn't even git gud, it's get mediocre and you can beat this boss every time.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

Facts, guy. This was a cake walk before they nerfed it. Just break his break bar and he can't use his special attack. He doesn't pull you in, he doesn't heal up, he just follows you dumbly unable to do anything. I had to do this stupid thing twice because the first time it crashed while I was talking to Joko after the fight. It worked both times, it was pathetically easy, and this was in the first week on PoF. If you had issues, and you're not looking at serious lag problems, then the only possible issue is severely lacking skill. It isn't even git gud, it's get mediocre and you can beat this boss every time.

Ok you just trolling me. Careful who you troll in the afterlife can be brutal for you.

Ok you just trolling me. Careful who you troll in the afterlife can be brutal for you.

Not if the soul eater is the biggest fish, cause he's an easy kill, just takes forever cause I don't do enough damage.

Hold on ... to be fair, that strategy worked very well. I took a melee Warrior with shouts ... I simply kited around him in a circle. It's one of the oldest MMO tricks in the book. When he started his ray attack, I ducked behind a tree. I actually found the instance ... pretty basic.

I did the EXACT thing in the fight with Balthazar right before that part of the story as well... it's a pretty common tactic against mobs that have 'facing' attacks.

This thread has a serious problem ... MMO gamers that don't want to solve problems. If people can't figure these things out, there isn't a reason to nerf the encounter for them.

The movement pattern on this fight was easy enough to learn, so I was able to be away from the boss when it did the strong attack. I think it should not be too hard for any class due to that once you figure it out. It was definitely a difficulty spike in the story though. Also due to the stakes being really high, dying on it will be very immersion breaking which might not be a good thing. I still enjoyed the challenge of it overall.

• 2 weeks later...

The worrying part about this is that this fight has always been easy af. It's just about destroying a break-bar, and it's even more worrying that people can't work that out in a game that's full of break-bars. Also, before someone says: "Try doing it on a Thief." I did my first playthrough of the PoF story in about 9 hours on a Daredevil, on release night. It's really not difficult.

• 2 months later...

Okay... just as a side note to this thread, some people here are really condescending to others. This is an extremely difficult fight depending on build. When I was Sw/D weaver it was literally impossible.

If a player doesn't know they can switch weapons by right clicking their weapon in their hero menu, they wouldn't be able to do literally anything. As soon as I switched to staff it was super easy, but without access to inventory, some players might not know how to switch. I guarantee you if you did not have the proper build to fight this it would be quite literally impossible.

Some people can beat this while practically afk, others require a feat of Olympian strength.

No one is impressed how easily you beat this. "Learn to play" without any other input isn't helpful to anyone and really is not welcome.

@"Arathor.5819" said:Okay... just as a side note to this thread, some people here are really condescending to others. This is an extremely difficult fight depending on build. When I was Sw/D weaver it was literally impossible.

If a player doesn't know they can switch weapons by right clicking their weapon in their hero menu, they wouldn't be able to do literally anything. As soon as I switched to staff it was super easy, but without access to inventory, some players might not know how to switch. I guarantee you if you did not have the proper build to fight this it would be quite literally impossible.

Some people can beat this while practically afk, others require a feat of Olympian strength.

No one is impressed how easily you beat this. "Learn to play" without any other input isn't helpful to anyone and really is not welcome.

That resurrection though.... XD

Well, this is an old thread, but I'll answer anyway. Calling something "literally impossible" is basically little more than sensationalism. I understand some people might find this encounter difficult and may not grasp the mechanics of the battle right away, but you do yourself no favors by writing something off as 'impossible', even if just for certain builds, simply because you failed to complete it on your first attempts. All you're doing is giving yourself an excuse to give up and blame the game for your shortcomings, rather than trying to problem solve and overcome a challenge yourself. Ironically enough, despite mentioning how players can be condescending towards others, I don't think you realize how condescending or self defeating players can be towards themselves when they underestimate their own capacity to overcome a challenge.

I can pretty much guarantee that if I used a Sword/Dagger weaver, I'd be able to do the battle quite easily. This isn't because I'm a superior player though, rather it's just because once you figure out the mechanics of the battle, if actually becomes very simple. I'll post my earlier post in this thread below, where I actually gave feedback on how to approach the fight:

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:Perhaps I am late to the party here, but this fight is actually very easy once you understand its mechanics. I think what most people would struggle with is the mechanic where the boss drains your life and replenishes itself, but it's actually very simple to stop it from doing that.

All you do, is fight it as per usual, either in melee or range, and when you see an orange aoe circle, it means it's about to leap at you and then start using a channeled life drain attack. When you see the circle, just dodge away from the boss, and keep running away from it. As long as you keep a reasonable distance, the attack will not cause any damage, nor give the boss any life. Once it has finished, it will perform another AoE attack that does high damage in the area around itself, after which you can jump back in again and resume damage.

I've done this fight with multiple characters, a Revenant, a Guardian and a Thief, and I never had to adjust builds or swap weapons or anything. I used melee most of the time and just went ranged where needed. I also did the instance with a friend playing a weaver and when I explained the mechanics to him, he completed the boss easily on the first try. Sometimes people just need to look at a situation and evaluate it properly, to find a solution. Once the solution is clear, the task becomes simple.

If the battle did one thing wrong, perhaps it would be that it didn't highlight these mechanics clearly enough for some players, but honestly, I actually like that some battles require you to figure them out to progress, rather than just feeding you with a silver spoon.

As a final note, I will agree that some players can be very short or blunt with their feedback, and it can be frustrating, but maybe they are also just frustrated because people always complain at every little hurdle they face, and undue complaints often lead to the unnecessary toning down of content.

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:As a final note, I will agree that some players can be very short or blunt with their feedback, and it can be frustrating, but maybe they are also just frustrated because people always complain at every little hurdle they face, and undue complaints often lead to the unnecessary toning down of content.

Can I get an amen

@"Arathor.5819" said:Okay... just as a side note to this thread, some people here are really condescending to others. This is an extremely difficult fight depending on build. When I was Sw/D weaver it was literally impossible.

Sorry, but Air attunement 5 is all you need. It's an instant pushback which would stop him cold before he could use the power, and that is literally all you need to do, stop him from using the power. The condescension is coming from these claims that it's somehow impossible even though you have more than enough within your power to accomplish it. If you still can't, unless you live in a state of unreasonable lag, it's fully on you and only you.

Also, if you don't know how to swap your weapon by the time you're doing PoF story, you're doing something very wrong.

Considering that the thread was going on three months since the last post before yours, and longer still since some of the posts you describe, I am not sure of the relevance of this commentary.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Kondor.2904 said:Wait, do i understand correctly that some people are actually trying to outdamage his heal instead of swapping some utilities/weapons and interrupting him ?

Outdamaging his heal is a viable option (or at least was originally)

It's also a silly option when it's so very much simpler to just break his bar and not let him heal at all.