Did the patch do something to the lighting? [Merged]

It feels.... Off in most areas, i can't really put my finger on it, but i don't remember it looking that dull.

Did anyone else notice a change?

Or is it on my end?

Here's what i mean:

https://i.imgur.com/3GpPvoA.jpg

This didn't used to look like this... It was more fiery and glowy all around, with orange lighting in general... At least, that's how i remember it...

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Maybe it's just me then.

Here's what i mean...

https://i.imgur.com/3GpPvoA.jpg

I remember this area being more fiery and glowy and stuff... Now it's like, nothing...

That's the area by the Forge, right? Errr... nope, that definitely doesn't look normal.

I went to check it out, and it looks perfectly normal here. Perhaps it is one of your add-ons that is causing this?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

That's the area by the Forge, right? Errr... nope, that definitely doesn't look normal.

I went to check it out, and it looks perfectly normal here. Perhaps it is one of your add-ons that is causing this?

The only add-on i have currently is d912pxy...

I guess if i'm the only one having the issue, it's probably that addon.

• Like 1

Just now, Dante.1763 said:

Somethings kitteny on your end ^^; this is what mine looks like, and i run an addon that darkens it a bit.

https://imgur.com/a/FDQLro8

Yup, that's how it used to look!

Do you per chance run d912pxy?

How about you @Ashantara.8731?

Are you running that addon?

If none of you are, then it's probably the addon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Im not nope!

5 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Nope, I am not.

Then the new patch did something to the graphics engine, and now dx912pxy is not performing correctly.

Culprit found i think. 🙂

I'll delete the addon and see if it improves later.

I'll miss the extra fps but oh well...

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Then the new patch did something to the graphics engine, and now dx912pxy is not performing correctly.

Culprit found i think. 🙂

I'll delete the addon and see if it improves later.

I'll miss the extra fps but oh well...

I don't use dx912pxy and the game became very dark for me as well. Something definitely happened with this patch that screwed up the lighting.

Edited by Anomaly.6328
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Boris De Pig.7258 said:

I don't run dx912pxy and the Deepstone Fractal was super super dark. I couldn't even see which floor tiles were missing in the corners. I have updated my AMD gfx drivers in the past couple of days, maybe i need to revert to old version?

My current nVidia driver is not the latest version but about a few weeks old. It would be interesting to know whether it's an AMD issue or a general issue with the latest existing drivers.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

Well, i uninstalled d912pxy just now (did the whole "remove" thing from the "installer").

It looks like this now:

https://i.imgur.com/RwRv4Gz.jpg

That's how i remember it looking, so...

In my case it was d912pxy it seems.

Well, unless miraculously it fixed itself, and i just happened to remove the addon at that time but...

I'm gonna go with the addon being to blame.

Not sure what's happening with @Boris De Pig.7258 or @Anomaly.6328. If you aren't using the addon, and you have the same issue i did, maybe it really is something the patch did...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's only the boss fight in Deepstone that's affected, and my fractal krewe are offline or doing other stuff. I did try the Dragon Forge area linked in the first screenshot, but it looks normal to me. At the time two of us were struggling and wondered if it was a deliberate change to the Deepstone fractal to make it more challenging :/. I don't really want to revert my drivers as the latest one seems to be more stable than the previous ones...

• Like 2

Just now, Boris De Pig.7258 said:

It's only the boss fight in Deepstone that's affected, and my fractal krewe are offline or doing other stuff. I did try the Dragon Forge area linked in the first screenshot, but it looks normal to me. At the time two of us were struggling and wondered if it was a deliberate change to the Deepstone fractal to make it more challenging :/. I don't really want to revert my drivers as the latest one seems to be more stable than the previous ones...

Well if it's just one fractal then probably don't resort to driver changes and other stuff... As long as the rest of the areas look ok, it's ok.

Mine didn't, it wasn't just Thunderhead Peaks, it was a bunch of others. I did Chak Gerent and it looked bland as well...

• Like 1

Just now, Boris De Pig.7258 said:

I don't think this has anything to do with the drivers, as before this patch the game was fine. Many raid encounters are now very dark, namely Sabetha, Sloth, most of Wing 4. My friend said the same thing happened to him as well after this patch.

• Like 2

Checked out the forge today and it looks just as glowy as I remember, but a few months ago, my Gilded Hollow started looking like this.

Not running any add-ons, haven't tweaked any settings, just logged in one day and the whole guild hall looked like the term 'Tarnished Coast' incarnate. If I had to guess, I'd say they're preparing for their new engine, but it's also possible something unrelated has broken lighting in certain areas of the game and they haven't gotten around to fixing it.

• Like 2

I think they're doing something stealthy to the lighting engine.

Maps being "dark" means the game is not rendering lighting sources and effects. That's why it looks dark, but it's mostly noticable in the Thunderhead Peaks forge because the lighting there is extreme. Other areas have lighting but not to that extent, hence they look "just darker" if it's missing.

D912pxy probably also clashes with some of the new code it seems and makes the issue worse.

Maybe those are some DX11 tests or something.

Hopefully we'll see improvements in performance with DX11 because i currently can't play the game without d912pxy, it's just very choppy and unenjoyable. I'll make do without, but please Anet, stable FPS in DX11, can do? 😄

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Checked out the forge today and it looks just as glowy as I remember, but a few months ago, my Gilded Hollow started looking like this.

Not running any add-ons, haven't tweaked any settings, just logged in one day and the whole guild hall looked like the term 'Tarnished Coast' incarnate. If I had to guess, I'd say they're preparing for their new engine, but it's also possible something unrelated has broken lighting in certain areas of the game and they haven't gotten around to fixing it.

There's been posts in 'Bugs' about the Gilded Hollow for some time.  It's changed by the shaders option.  (Used to be reflective on medium, now requires high.)

• Thanks 2

I've also noticed it doing Deepstone yesterday but also when I was gathering my daily flax below Jaka Itzel WP in Verdant Brink - it was way darker than usual. Weird thing is, when I restarted the game, it went back to normal.

I do use GW2Hook (to remove native bloom) but lighting went back to normal before I turned it off. Maybe something changed about how the game caches shaders or something?

I can't reproduce the bug anymore (at least at that flax farm). I have newest NVidia drivers installed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

I think they're doing something stealthy to the lighting engine.

Maps being "dark" means the game is not rendering lighting sources and effects. That's why it looks dark, but it's mostly noticable in the Thunderhead Peaks forge because the lighting there is extreme. Other areas have lighting but not to that extent, hence they look "just darker" if it's missing.

D912pxy probably also clashes with some of the new code it seems and makes the issue worse.

Maybe those are some DX11 tests or something.

Hopefully we'll see improvements in performance with DX11 because i currently can't play the game without d912pxy, it's just very choppy and unenjoyable. I'll make do without, but please Anet, stable FPS in DX11, can do? 😄

This makes sense bcs recently I have quite the problems with gamma and brightness of the various maps in the game despite I haven't changed any settings. However I'm using default renderer, d912pxy and dxvk. Lastly I ended up turning off Post Processing completely to have some peace. Definitely something is clashing behind the scenes.

OP yours also look like post processing was turned off. Get it on and compare (also the shader setting in game) instead of removing addons or any other deeper settings.

Edited by fatihso.7258
  • Like 1