Custom Stats Combo?

Guy.9207

Hi.

As of 2021, there are...many stats combo out there, and most of which sees very little to no use, while common ones (Berzerker, Vipers, etc) get all the love. It is a shame many stats aren't used, but I can see why. But then I thought to myself why we even have "set" stat combos in the first place.

It's a really weird system if you ask me, given how inconsistent each of these are. Some stats are locked behind expansions, while others are so easy to get, it's a no-brainer to have it. Diviner's are so hard to get and expensive, while berserker's cost at best 3 golds. Then there's a matter of tying stats onto existing gemstones with confusing names (Ruby = Berserker, Beryl = Valkyrie, etc), when it should have been simplified by having something like "Berserker Rings" as exotic that you can easily craft with Jeweler.

But nevermind that, I would like to take a step further: why not just throw the whole system into the bin and let players make their own stats combo? Instead of people asking for Condition equivalent of Marauder, let them do it themselves. I would imagine something like all exotic gears being stat-selectable, which would allow players to come up with one-time stats combo. When they chooses a stat, they would be given the options to pick 3,  4, or even 2 attributes for that matter, and a prefix name of their choice. If it's ascended, maybe we can have something like a stat changer like fractal rings except it probably costs like 2 golds per consumable or something.

Some examples I could come up with using custom combo:

"Condi-equivalent Marauder"

++Condition Damage

++Precision

+Vitality

+Expertise

"Brigadier's"

++Power

++Precision

+Toughness

+Ferocity

"Punisher's"

++Power

++Condition Damage

+Precision

+Expertise

"Brawler's"

++Power

+Precision

+Vitality

Edited by NeverLoseGuy.3894
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

How could Anet possibly ensure any level of game balance with player-custom stat combinations?

I guess they could look at individual attributes and adjust on that?

Say, a certain combo is too strong right now, look at what makes it strong: power, precision, or ferocity, or other things.

• Like 2

The problem with a custom stat system is that there will still only be a few meta combinations that will be demanded.  Then you will now have the opposite end of the spectrum where some players may have such a poor spread of stats that it actually hurts their build.

It increases the skill floor of the game but not so much the skill ceiling.  Well, that's what it seems to me anyways.  Someone might come in here and prove that wrong.  For now, that's the conclusion I'm currently drawing.

It doesn't seem like a good idea to raise the skill floor but not the ceiling.  It makes it harder for new players to understand the game and doesn't add much for top-tier players.  Granted, there will be plenty of player's in the middle of the pack that will enjoy experimenting with all sorts of combinations and finding ones they like.  But would it be worth the detriment to new players?

There was also a time when traits held a portion of stats.  I don't think you refer to this, though.  I think the suggestion was for a stat system completely independent of gear and traits?  I like that idea but I think GW2 is too far into it's life-cycle to upend the entire system like that.

There was also someone in here who brought up the impact on the gear system and trading post if such a massive and sudden shift occurred.  It definitely would be chaos and I'm not sure how the markets would settle back into equilibrium.  Too many factors and too many unknowns to accurately predict.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Rogue.8235 said:

The problem with a custom stat system is that there will still only be a few meta combinations that will be demanded.  Then you will now have the opposite end of the spectrum where some players may have such a poor spread of stats that it actually hurts their build.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but when do people ask for specific meta combinations? In Raids? So, like 1% of the population (I'm guessing, of course)? Again, agreeing that there will always be preferred stats, but I've never come across someone demanding certain metas.

As well, how would someone know. I could easily tell them my stat combo is such-and-such. How would they know?

11 hours ago, NeverLoseGuy.3894 said:

Hi.

As of 2021, there are...many stats combo out there, and most of which sees very little to no use, while common ones (Berzerker, Vipers, etc) get all the love. It is a shame many stats aren't used, but I can see why. But then I thought to myself why we even have "set" stat combos in the first place.

It's a really weird system if you ask me, given how inconsistent each of these are. Some stats are locked behind expansions, while others are so easy to get, it's a no-brainer to have it. Diviner's are so hard to get and expensive, while berserker's cost at best 3 golds. Then there's a matter of tying stats onto existing gemstones with confusing names (Ruby = Berserker, Beryl = Valkyrie, etc), when it should have been simplified by having something like "Berserker Rings" as exotic that you can easily craft with Jeweler.

But nevermind that, I would like to take a step further: why not just throw the whole system into the bin and let players make their own stats combo? Instead of people asking for Condition equivalent of Marauder, let them do it themselves. I would imagine something like all exotic gears being stat-selectable, which would allow players to come up with one-time stats combo. When they chooses a stat, they would be given the options to pick 3,  4, or even 2 attributes for that matter, and a prefix name of their choice. If it's ascended, maybe we can have something like a stat changer like fractal rings except it probably costs like 2 golds per consumable or something.

Some examples I could come up with using custom combo:

"Condi-equivalent Marauder"

++Condition Damage

++Precision

+Vitality

+Expertise

"Brigadier's"

++Power

++Precision

+Toughness

+Ferocity

"Punisher's"

++Power

++Condition Damage

+Precision

+Expertise

"Brawler's"

++Power

+Precision

+Vitality

Let's live in a  world where balance is of no issue to the game developers and deal with an even bigger issue this problem would make even worse.

As it stands now, many players have exactly zero idea what the stats are and how they impact gameplay. They muddle through with a mix of green and yellow gear in what they think are acceptable stat spreads and are hamstringing themselves by a fairly large margin.
Look at the recent thread where the OP asked what kind of stat spreads other players wanted and the vast majority of responses gave stat spreads without either power or condi damage, while saying they should have precision and expertise.

In short your idea makes it even easier for players to neuter themselves, in a game who's main issue with gearing is players neutering themselves.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, misterman.1530 said:

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but when do people ask for specific meta combinations? In Raids? So, like 1% of the population (I'm guessing, of course)? Again, agreeing that there will always be preferred stats, but I've never come across someone demanding certain metas.

As well, how would someone know. I could easily tell them my stat combo is such-and-such. How would they know?

Poor word choice on my part.  Demanded in terms of market demand, not people demanding others to use it.  Otherwise, agree with you.

• Like 1