What can I safely sell?

Drall.2419

I do not enjoy crafting at all.  I crafted the ascended weapons I needed and that will be that.  I will never craft legendary weapons. I want to get the Griffin and Skyscale, so I need gold!
So, what can I sell/convert to gold without regretting it later?

Mystic coins, laurels, globs,....

Any help appreciated!

You can also do gold farming events like silverwastes.

You don't need a lot of gold for skyscale unless you want to skip an entire achievement collection with skyscale treats.

The entire skyscale collection i think cost me like 30 gold or something, and i did all the achievements "manually".

Griffin on the other hand is an unavoidable 250 gold so yeah...

You can always sell ecto, MC if you don't need them (but beware that if you ever do, they're crazy expensive).

Do silverwastes and keep all the bags.

Make a lvl 50 character. Open all the bags you get on that character and sell the contents.

Laurels - don't spend until you 100% get all what you want from the vendor. There's stuff there that you might want later so best keep them. They're not huge gold makers anyway.

Do dailies.

Drizzlewood coast meta is profitable.

Do meta trains (octovine, DBS, pinata, etc.).

You get tons of stuff from metas. Sell all of it you don't need.

The gold will start to pile up pretty fast.

It's not gonna be "get 250 gold tomorrow" kind of thing, but it'll get you there pretty fast. 

Well, unless you get lucky and get one of the rarest infusions and get rich instantly. 😛 

Good luck!

• Like 1

The skyscale doesn't cost much gold, the unavoidable gold costs only add up to about 40g. There are some items which need to be either crafted or bought from the TP (buying them is more expensive of course) and one collection gives you the option to skip each step using an item which costs about 5g to craft or about 6-7g to buy from the TP. (It also costs 250 of each Season 4 map currency.)

The griffon is more expensive, you have to buy 25 items at 10g each, so 250g total and there's no way around that. But you don't have to get them all together, you can just buy one whenever you have 25g to spend.

As for what you can sell three things which might be helpful to remember are:

• With rare exceptions anything you can sell is also something you can buy later if you need it. (The exceptions are rare and discontinued items, which are likely to get more and more expensive over time.)
  • If you've got it without deliberately farming it the chances are you'll get more the same way later.
  • It doesn't have to be all or nothing. For example I often sell cooking materials, but I always save 50 of each, just in case I need them later on.

On that basis I'd say check what the mount collections need, and then sell anything not included. If you don't have much maybe check where it comes from first (especially if you don't have much and it's expensive, because that implies other people have a hard time getting it).

Laurels are a good thing to sell because they come from login rewards (so you'll always get more) and they only have limited uses. Check the laurel vendor to see what you might want to buy first, and maybe keep some for the future just in case. (BTW in case you're not aware you can sell them by buying material bags and selling the materials you get from them.)

Mystic Coins can also be a good thing to sell if you're not planning on making a legendary any time soon. They're not required for anything useful, only cosmetics so the worst that will happen if you run out is you have to wait to make something you like, and they also come from login rewards so they don't require any effort to get.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information.  This is exactly what I was looking for!

I actually play as a duo with my wife an we play more of an exploration style.  We do not farm for gold and minimize repeating activities.  We tend to do every map in detail and then move on.  The plan is to start again with a second character when we are done.   We will more than likely have forgotten a lot of the early stuff by then.  The revisit LS chapters is actually great for us, fits right in the way we play, for free!

So thanks again for the info!  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Drall.2419 said:

Thanks for the information.  This is exactly what I was looking for!

I actually play as a duo with my wife an we play more of an exploration style.  We do not farm for gold and minimize repeating activities.  We tend to do every map in detail and then move on.  The plan is to start again with a second character when we are done.   We will more than likely have forgotten a lot of the early stuff by then.  The revisit LS chapters is actually great for us, fits right in the way we play, for free!

So thanks again for the info!  

In that case I do recommend gathering crafting materials as you're going along. You might well do that already but if not it's worth doing because it doesn't take much time if you only get ones you're passing anyway and although most aren't worth much individually it adds up over time. 

Oh ghosh pls don't sell coins. Even when you think now, you will never craft legendarys some day eventually will come where you change your'e mind. And Mystic coins and amalgamated gemstone are the biggest price-tags on legys xx.

Is of course your decision, but I would advise everyone against it because I know enough people who suddenly wanted to put on a bling bling after years and then the surprise was big ^^

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Oh ghosh pls don't sell coins. Even when you think now, you will never craft legendarys some day eventually will come where you change your'e mind. And Mystic coins and amalgamated gemstone are the biggest price-tags on legys xx.

Is of course your decision, but I would advise everyone against it because I know enough people who suddenly wanted to put on a bling bling after years and then the surprise was big ^^

Yes.

One day you might want a shiny legendary weapon and you will either find it "whoa that was easier than I thought (because I had 3 stacks of MCs in my bank)" or cry in a corner and rant on forums about mystic coin price conspiracies.

I've made 4 legendary weapons and I intend to make more in future, I still sell mystic coins sometimes and I've never regretted it. 

Making a legendary is always a long process for me, the quickest so far was about 6 months and that was starting with several things already done. That gives me plenty of time to save mystic coins (and other stuff, like T6 materials). I always start with the things I can't buy and only start buying materials when I've done everything else. I haven't needed to buy mystic coins since my first one (back when login rewards didn't exist) and if I'd kept all of them I'd have far more than I'm likely to use, which would be pointless to just keep hoarding.

As I said earlier it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You could set a minimum number of mystic coins to keep, so you'll always have some if you need them. 

If you're at the point where you can make multiple legendaries in quick succession you probably don't need advice on which crafting materials to sell for gold, because you'll have to be good at making gold to afford the other stuff for the legendaries and will likely have a lot of experience with gold farming and crafting. 

• Like 1

I look at it that: anything I can sell on the TP now, I can always buy from the TP later. That is, those sales are not an irreversible mistake, or a time-gated item, even though I'll pay some extra in terms of listing/exchange fees.

But items like laurels cannot be bought; they are earned slowly over time, so I do not use items like that as a source of gold.

Likewise, karma and map currencies can be converted to gold, but I do so only when I have excesses of such items, in case I need them for other purposes (skyscale, ascended trinkets, etc.).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

I look at it that: anything I can sell on the TP now, I can always buy from the TP later. That is, those sales are not an irreversible mistake, or a time-gated item, even though I'll pay some extra in terms of listing/exchange fees.

But items like laurels cannot be bought; they are earned slowly over time, so I do not use items like that as a source of gold.

Likewise, karma and map currencies can be converted to gold, but I do so only when I have excesses of such items, in case I need them for other purposes (skyscale, ascended trinkets, etc.).

This is good advice. The only reason I recommended selling laurels is because they're easy to get for the vast majority of people, including casual players and there's a relatively small number of things you can buy with them which rarely changes. Many of the laurel-exclusive items are one-time purchases like skins or ascended armour recipes and the ones which aren't can come from multiple sources (like obsidian shards) so you might not need laurels to get them.

That means after a point they'll keep building up as long as you keep logging in but there will be less and less to do with them, which makes them an ideal currency to use for gold because (just like items on the TP) you can always get more, unless you stop logging in (and then you probably won't care) and it's unlikely to be a problem if you run short.

However just like Mystic Coins and crafting materials I'd always keep some minimum amount just in case. Most items cost between 1 and 40 laurels and the most expensive is 100 laurels, so I'd say 50-100 would be a sensible 'reserve'.

• Like 1