Latest Elite Specs First Impressions

Loboling.5293

The Bladesworn is way too clunky, not fun to play. For a warrior spec with "flow" it feels like it has the worst flow of any warrior spec. 

The Vindicator has potential, it at least feels functional, but I don't really like the skill flipover mechanic, it feels a lot like what I don't like in the Bladesworn, where you cycle through a bunch of things, activate your "special" and do it all over again. I didn't play around with the support, but I do think the spec is interesting. Greatsword felt a little weird, but it's powerful. Skill 3 leap tooltip or skill is bugged. It only move 450m, not 900m. 

The Catalyst is a bit like the Vindicator, it's a functional spec. I think it could be fun, but I just don't dig the concept. I imagine if you like the concept, this spec has a lot of potential. The orb mechanic felt too weak though. If that skill had more payoff, I probably would've enjoyed the spec more, but I was hoping for a ranged spec. 

Not as excited about these specs though for some reason. I felt more excited about Virtuoso even, and that was just about maximizing the burst potential. I could do the same with Bladesworn, but the whole kit felt so off, I had to move on. Warrior weapons without burst is a huge tradeoff, on top of the other ones.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Personally I really like the vindicator. Having abilities swap between offensive and support means that it's not just another one-dimensional dps spec. It's like you have a dps phase and a support phase, instead of just dealing damge and sharing boons at the same time. This way you have to be more aware what your skills do. Only thing I'm noticing so far is that it's kinda tricky to play solo: it lacks sustain and has only one dodge. I guess you either have to take dwarf as secondary for added durability, or have to pretty good at managing your endurance. Still, it's the spec I enjoyed the most of the three. 

Catalyst also feels good, and it's less squishy than I thought it would be, probably thanks to a good amount of sustain in water, but I feel like it's a lot of wasted effort. I mean, they picked the class in the game with least armor and least health, and gave it a spec that wants to stay STILL in mid-to-close range most of the time. Stay still, not jump around evading stuff. So it has a crazy amount of defensive abilities crammed into hammer, utility and traits, in order to give the catalyst reason to be a bruiser. 

Personally I kinda wish they gave this much attention to classes who already have more presence as melee bruiser, but whose gameplay could be more entertaining. Here is a class that, despite a squishy background wants to go melee, and needs to press so many buttons just justify its presence there, while Reaper and Bersekers litereally go spin with 1 or 2 skills and their rotation is done...

Bladesworn is ok but not as interesting as I was expecting. I may very well have gotten it wrong from this first impression, but from what I've seen, pretty much 90% of your dps is crammed into the 3 "super attacks". Everything else is just there to give you more flow or more boons for when you use to skills. If they tone down the damage of the slashes, and give it to the regular gunsword attacks, then it could be better. The super slash is fun and a high moment, but if you get stunned while charging or accidentaly press F1 instead of F2 or get through some other inconvience that locks you out of it for a couple seconds, then you're literally doing no dps whatsoever. 

Overall I like these 3 specs more than first batch, and unless they do some changes to the old specs at some point, I might leave my old pal reaper for a vindicator, 

• Like 2

There definitely needs to be at least a second wave of beta testing with fixes on core mechanism for most e-specs showcased so far, before release.

Some of the e-specs are straight up broken (as in not functional). Some need overhaul on their concept.
Tbh, in the current state I don't find any of the new specs as appealing as the already existing ones gameplaywise.

Edited by Tabootrinket.2631
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tabootrinket.2631 said:

There definitely needs to be at least a second wave of beta testing with fixes on core mechanism for most e-specs showcased so far, before release.

Some of the e-specs are straight up broken (as in not functional). Some need overhaul on their concept.
Tbh, in the current state I don't find any of the new specs as appealing as the already existing ones gameplaywise.

Beta event 3 will have the last especs

Beta event 4 will have all of the 9 especs.

I kind of feel sorry for the rangers, thieves and engis, as they will have least amount of dev time attention from player feedback before the final beta event.

Edited by LucianDK.8615
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

I kind of feel sorry for the rangers, thieves and engis, as they will have least amount of dev time attention from player feedback before the final beta event.

Sad puppy noises...🐶

3 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Hopefully the betas have been in order of most work needed, and honestly it kind of feels that way. These current 3 have some problems but they feel less barebones than the first 3

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

History don't make me confident in devs giving enough attention to player feedback for it to even be relevant no matter how much time involved.

• Like 1