Character Select

Why in Grenths name are my actual characters pushed to the back of my roster while the annoying mayfly Beta characters are stcuk at the front. While the new specs are interesting and new blah blah blah, after a few minutes trying them out on a bandit or two no real point exploring them any further until they are live,  there is no way of sorting character positions on the select panel and I have specific characters per game mode, and this forced lead position fixing on my roster is irritating. Why change from the back of the panel to being stuck at the front, while not the end of the world its still annoying.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11

38 minutes ago, Tekoneiric.6817 said:

Most of the time they roll predictably so that's ok with OCDs generally.

What do you mean by "they roll predictably"? The 3 beta access character slots are also predictably in the front. If predictability is the issue, then these character slots shouldn't be a problem. If it's the character order that's problematic, then it's also problematic without those slots.

And it seems you might be misusing the term "ocd" in the first place.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

48 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What do you mean by "they roll predictably"? The 3 beta access character slots are also predictably in the front. If predictability is the issue, then these character slots shouldn't be a problem. If it's the character order that's problematic, then it's also problematic without those slots.

And it seems you might be misusing the term "ocd" in the first place.

They don't roll with the others is the problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

I'm fairly certain the ever-changing order does more for OCD than the 3 temporary extra slots.

Indeed tbh, my post was meant as a little bit of humour while everyone railed about the things they dont like, which is pretty predictable during beta events. Mine was just a bit of silliness intended to make people laugh at the banality of it 🙂

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, jesterchaos.5907 said:

Indeed tbh, my post was meant as a little bit of humour while everyone railed about the things they dont like, which is pretty predictable during beta events. Mine was just a bit of silliness intended to make people laugh at the banality of it 🙂

That one was directed at the person insinuating they have OCD, while using horrible writing skills. I always enjoy people keeping it light, but you might want to be more transparent with the joking, lol. People totally have real complaints such as this during testing phases. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I'm not sure I understand correctly what you mean, but having 2 groups of characters (3+rest) is still "predictable", so isn't really a problem. And you still seem to misuse the term "ocd".

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - specifically the aspect where things need to be orderly, symmetrical and consistent.

In this issue for me that means my last used character in the number 1 slot. I always roll through my characters, leaving the least used characters at the extreme right. Having three beta slots glued to first 3 slots is very annoying.

While some might find humor another person's stress, for me there is no humor in this. Those of us who have that neurological condition have to deal with many issues throughout the day. Locking those beta slots at the start of the character list just adds to the pile of irritating things we have to deal with.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tekoneiric.6817 said:

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - specifically the aspect where things need to be orderly, symmetrical and consistent.

In this issue for me that means my last used character in the number 1 slot. I always roll through my characters, leaving the least used characters at the extreme right. Having three beta slots glued to first 3 slots is very annoying.

While some might find humor another person's stress, for me there is no humor in this. Those of us who have that neurological condition have to deal with many issues throughout the day. Locking those beta slots at the start of the character list just adds to the pile of irritating things we have to deal with.

If you do have actual ocd not understood as some quirky "I just prefer it this way" trait, as it's nowadays frequently mistaken as, then you probably already noticed that upon launch of the game -or relogging- your "normal" last played character is still automatically selected by default. So you launch the game and press enter.

And out of curiosity -as someone with ocd that's stressed by additional slots in character select, how do you deal with creating new characters? How did you go from 1 to, lets say 3, to... however many you currently have?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If you do have actual ocd not understood as some quirky "I just prefer it this way" trait, as it's nowadays frequently mistaken as, then you probably already noticed that upon launch of the game -or relogging- your "normal" last played character is still automatically selected by default. So you launch the game and press enter.

I don't use a keyboard in the game unless I'm chatting. I use a mouse and have hotkeys mapped to a left hand controller. I usually don't even have the keyboard in front of me in the game.

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Tekoneiric.6817 said:

I don't use a keyboard in the game unless I'm chatting. I use a mouse and have hotkeys mapped to a left hand controller. I usually don't even have the keyboard in front of me in the game.

Tbh, you don't need to have a keyboard "in front of you" to press enter. Otherwise you can click start or double click on a character icon. Currently it kind of looks like you're trying to create a problem for yourself. Your choice.

And out of curiosity -as someone with ocd that's stressed by additional slots in character select, how do you deal with creating new characters? How did you go from 1 to, lets say 3, to... however many you currently have? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If you do have actual ocd not understood as some quirky "I just prefer it this way" trait

I found this to be an annoying change (granted, not nearly as horrid as 'off-line'). I am diagnosed with OCD and can confirm that it's also annoying for my friends who don't have it. No need to gatekeep neurological disorders.

What are forums if not complaints enduring? Let OP be unhappy and say as much; feedback on this kind of thing is important even if it's about something you think is small.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I found this to be an annoying change (granted, not nearly as horrid as 'off-line'). I am diagnosed with OCD and can confirm that it's also annoying for my friends who don't have it. No need to gatekeep neurological disorders.

I'm not gatekeeping anything. As you said, you don't need OCD to find it annoying. Then again lets not pretend that being mildly annoyed by 3 additional empty beta slots for 4 days is a huge issue that needs immediate treatment, because our characters are now slightly moved to the side. Honestly, for the sake of me having a full understanding of the weight of this issue, please tell me how that character select screen change is heavily influencing lives of people suffering from ocd. Because as far as I know, impact on ones life is where ocd actually matters and needs to be addressed.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

lets not pretend that being mildly annoyed by 3 additional empty beta slots for 4 days is a huge issue

Doesn't look like anyone's saying that. OP said it was annoying. Another person said it was major disruption for people with OCD (which can be true if your diagnosis is severe, since it's a spectrum disorder), and I'm saying it's frustrating and seems like a change that wasn't necessary. You feel it's a mild annoyance, others feel it's more disruptive. That's feedback, but not really a demand or call for immediate action.

If your bedroom doorknob administered a low-grade static shock every time you touched it for a week, you could shrug and deal with it until it ended or you could tell your landlord 'man, that static shock is super annoying; didn't enjoy that very much'. Maybe your landlord would get different doorknobs in preparation for the next shock week or maybe they'd say 'meh' and let you live with the inconvenience. Doesn't mean you were wrong for saying (or not saying) something about it.

It's not really the task of people suffering disorders to educate strangers on the breadth and depth of diagnoses, symptoms, and other intimate details, but if you're genuinely curious and want to learn more about obsessive disorders and the many frustrating ways in which they interfere with the stuff we enjoy, the internet is a vast and (sometimes) informative resource. Other than that, I'd invite you to simply accept that other people feel differently than you do about this issue and have different feedback as a result.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Doesn't look like anyone's saying that. OP said it was annoying. Another person said it was major disruption for people with OCD (which can be true if your diagnosis is severe, since it's a spectrum disorder), and I'm saying it's frustrating and seems like a change that wasn't necessary. You feel it's a mild annoyance, others feel it's more disruptive. That's feedback, but not really a demand or call for immediate action.

If your bedroom doorknob administered a low-grade static shock every time you touched it for a week, you could shrug and deal with it until it ended or you could tell your landlord 'man, that static shock is super annoying; didn't enjoy that very much'. Maybe your landlord would get different doorknobs in preparation for the next shock week or maybe they'd say 'meh' and let you live with the inconvenience. Doesn't mean you were wrong for saying (or not saying) something about it.

It's not really the task of people suffering disorders to educate strangers on the breadth and depth of diagnoses, symptoms, and other intimate details, but if you're genuinely curious and want to learn more about obsessive disorders and the many frustrating ways in which they interfere with the stuff we enjoy, the internet is a vast and (sometimes) informative resource. Other than that, I'd invite you to simply accept that other people feel differently than you do about this issue and have different feedback as a result.

So I don't know what the problem is because I didn't "gatekeep ocd", nor did I try to claim people can't post feedback on the forums or complain about things they disliked. What I did was point out some facts about "predictability" which were directly connected to the previous posts which I specifically quoted, offered a "workaround" that didn't include much time watching the character selection screen and asked some questions. Pretty sure I also know -relatively- enough about ocd, so thanks for the offer about educating myself. 😛 

Anyways, if the goal with the refreshed beta character slots placement was to somehow pull more attention to test upcomming especs (and we don't know if that's the case), then next time they could leave it in front, but also include "opt-out of beta" toggle that can hide those character slots.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Tbh, you don't need to have a keyboard "in front of you" to press enter. Otherwise you can click start or double click on a character icon. Currently it kind of looks like you're trying to create a problem for yourself. Your choice.

19 not counting the beta slots. I just cycle through them in order. New slots start at the right most slot normally, as they should be. They sit there until I create a character and they either cycle with my others or rest at the right until I decide to load the character. I currently have a couple of characters all the way to the right that I haven't used in days.

OCD isn't about one thing being major but rather one thing being added to the pile of bad things we have to deal with at any given time. Everyone has piles of good things and bad things. Those of us who have things like OCD or other conditions just have bigger piles of bad things to deal with. When someone does something that will impact others, they should always ask themselves "Is this going to add to the affected people's pile of good things or bad things".

In the case of the current beta slots, they disrupt the "normal" behavior of the character select screen for no good reason than for them wanting visibility for the beta to the point where it's annoying enough for people to build characters with them. To me it's a waste of my time to invest on building a character for it to vanish in a few days. I did it on the last beta and accidentally touched some items in my bank resulting in them vanishing forever. Nothing overly vital but still annoying enough to add to my reasons to not partake in the beta. Those beta slots are like an overly annoying web popup adverts that will not go away. If they had just cycled to the right it wouldn't be an issue as I could just cycle them out of my way.

• Like 1

Perhaps, it was annoying (enough) for those with more characters to have to cycle though all the established characters to get to the Beta slots.

You say there was 'no good reason' for Beta Character slots to move to the front; there may, in ArenaNet's and other's minds one or more 'good' reasons to move them to the front.

As to losing items from the bank, that should not happen (since they are, in essence, two different accounts); have you contacted the CS Team for replacement? 

• Like 1