Character Select

Wow, page 2 and no one gave the likely reason why they were pushed up front?

It's to make them seen. Players with a high number of characters may have never seen the beta slots during the last event since they were pushed to the end. If those players also don't follow GW2 on social media, it's entirely possible they'd not know the beta event was taking place. So, by moving them to the front of the queue this time, ANet ensures everyone sees them and has a chance to make a character and provide feedback.

That's really all is (probably) is.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Tobias Valin.5893 said:

Wow, page 2 and no one gave the likely reason why they were pushed up front?

It's to make them seen.

...so you're saying you didn't read these 2 pages, eh? 😄 

15 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Anyways, if the goal with the refreshed beta character slots placement was to somehow pull more attention to test upcomming especs (and we don't know if that's the case), then next time they could leave it in front, but also include "opt-out of beta" toggle that can hide those character slots.

13 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Perhaps, it was annoying (enough) for those with more characters to have to cycle though all the established characters to get to the Beta slots.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I think the bigger issue is we cannot view enough of our characters on the character screen. It should be a a grid of at least double the character size; we don't need a full screen preview of the characters. You know, like how most fighting games work. We shouldn't have to scroll for like 10 characters. I can only imagine what it'd be like if you have like 20 or 30.

But then again someone will complain if that gets changed because reasons so there should be an option. But then again, I suppose they don't expect the average player to have too many slots, so w/e.

And no we can't just cater to people that get annoyed at any change possible. I want my HoT character screen music back! (make it an option)

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3

A grid where you choose the positions and they remain would be great. Maybe even unlimited rows X however many columns fit, so I could group all rangers together, thieves, etc. Right now, for 48 characters, I have to do a lot of scrolling. Lots of room for improvement -- but those suggestions have been presented for years, with no change.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I think the bigger issue is we cannot view enough of our characters on the character screen. It should be a a grid of at least double the character size; we don't need a full screen preview of the characters. You know, like how most fighting games work. We shouldn't have to scroll for like 10 characters. I can only imagine what it'd be like if you have like 20 or 30.

But then again someone will complain if that gets changed because reasons so there should be an option. But then again, I suppose they don't expect the average player to have too many slots, so w/e.

And no we can't just cater to people that get annoyed at any change possible. I want my HoT character screen music back! (make it an option)

The character select screen is the only place we can really get a really high rez view of our character. I wish they would just create a personal studio area in the game for people to pose their characters for high rez screenshots and videos. They could make a grid with a grid on the select screen with a smaller preview area.

The personal studio could have a stage with splash screen animated backgrounds, set props, music controls and predictable lighting. It could be combined with the makeover tool to preview changes in the stage area before the changes are locked in. They could even sell assets for it on the gemstore.

My only thing with the character select screen ( personal gripe) is that there is clearly enough space at the bottom for me to view all my characters, as I have 1 of each class but the screen will only show 7 at a time before you need to click over. IIRC, GW1 all characters where viewable along the bottom and you would just need to mouse over the edge and it would auto scroll to the left or right. Since each major expansion, the select screen changes a bit. So hopefully this could change a bit. Not the end of the world, but would be nice to increase the bottom limit until physical space runs out below.

As for the Beta slots. I do prefer them at the back. As another poster mention, it makes sense to put them up front in order for people to participate, but in front, it looks VERY out of place. Specially with how the current select screen looks. As far as people not knowing about the beta though, it only takes you maybe less than an hour tops after logging in before you bump into someone with a BETA tag off to the side. So its just a matter of logging out to character select and looking.