New player experience sucks

13 minutes ago, Sarm.5923 said:

Weirdly enough, for me I had the opposite experience at first. Sure, I was curious about the elite specs, but I had a thing that I thought was working for me in the base game, and I had started googling to see if it was at all viable to just stay regular instead of using one.

Apparently a staff-wielding core elementalist does not cut the mustard. 🤪

The meta of a lot of it also kinda pisses in the punch bowl as well.  Like what you wanted to do not being variable etc.  It just takes a core philosophy you would think a class goes by and turns it into one thing.  Like Elementalist being melee or Ranger outside of Druid being the same melee.  Sure they have different flavors, but what if I wanted to just play a mage?  Sure you can do that and nothing is stopping you it's just what's meta is what people pug.  So regardless of your choice there just isn't one.  And to me that's kinda garbage.  Now with Guardian and Firebrand it's great because at least to me it's an advancement of what I was already doing.  Almost nothing changed in how I play my character outside of the tomes which are just upgraded sigils.  It actively felt good to do so.  But I can't get Elementalist past like level 9, but when I see that Tempest or that Weaver I really want to.  But who knows I might just hate those classes.  I've tried them out on the pvp island, but that's no comparison to playing them in the world.  But I know they end up being melee so why bother?

Anyway that's my view on it.

Edited by PMoneyMobileRobot.4630
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

People have used this line that it was designed for the chinese audience over and over again since it came out, because the China version was coming out. Proximity in time doesn't equal cause and effect though. 

Anet said it was to do with a focus group of a thousand players that never played the game before, and it had everything to do with the game going free to play in the US and EU.  Chinese players don't want or need a simplified game. Stating stuff like that as a fact is simply spreading misinformation.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/

It was already in the chinese version of the game. It was designed for their version of the game and then retroactively added to na and eu. 

It was made during the first content drough after ls1, when anet was chasing the chinese market. And if you checked the forum archive during that period, people hated it back then as well.https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feature-pack-9-9-feedback/page/1

Edit: found a more representative thread.

Edited by Shadowmoon.7986
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/

It was already in the chinese version of the game. It was designed for their version of the game and then retroactively added to na and eu. 

It was made during the first content drough after ls1, when anet was chasing the chinese market. And if you checked the forum archive during that period, people hated it back then as well.https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feature-pack-9-9-feedback/page/1

Edit: found a more representative thread.

I know it's in the game. That's not the point. What evidence do you have that it was made FOR that game. You're using proximity of time to draw a  conclusion.

The NPE came out in something like April and the game went free to play in something like August.  Anet felt a huge number of people would come into the game on the free to play and they talked about maintaining that number, but the focus group they  had of players trying it out wasn't a chinese group, so again, what's the evidence that China was the reason for it.

If anything China came out too soon after it to make that the reason. They'd have wanted time to work out the bugs and get feedback, not before China, but before the game went free to play.

At the very least you're drawing a conclusion was no evidence, except coinciding dates.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I know it's in the game. That's not the point. What evidence do you have that it was made FOR that game. You're using proximity of time to draw a  conclusion.

The NPE came out in something like April and the game went free to play in something like August.  Anet felt a huge number of people would come into the game on the free to play and they talked about maintaining that number, but the focus group they  had of players trying it out wasn't a chinese group, so again, what's the evidence that China was the reason for it.

If anything China came out too soon after it to make that the reason. They'd have wanted time to work out the bugs and get feedback, not before China, but before the game went free to play.

At the very least you're drawing a conclusion was no evidence, except coinciding dates.

Facts do not agree with your statement. NPE launched in September of 2014 for na and eu. The NPE was in the launch version of the chinese version of gw2, back in may 2014, 4 months prior to the September feature pack. It was designed for china.

Guild wars 2 went free to play back in 2015, almost a year after the NPE went live. NPE had nothing to do with free to play. If anything free to play was being used to sell HoT xpacs which released October 2015.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Facts do not agree with your statement. NPE launched in September of 2014 for na and eu. The NPE was in the launch version of the chinese version of gw2, back in may 2014, 4 months prior to the September feature pack. It was designed for china.

Guild wars 2 went free to play back in 2015, almost a year after the NPE went live. NPE had nothing to do with free to play. If anything free to play was being used to sell HoT xpacs which released October 2015.

Do you think, really think that a year before it went free to play Anet didn't KNOW it was going to go free to play? Seriously? That was in the work for years.

Anet themselves told us about the focus group they did with new players that led to the NPE.  I didn't say the NPE wasn't in the Chinese version. I said the NPE wasn't made because of or for the Chinese version of Guild Wars 2. And there's no evidence to support it was.

Anet did the research, the focus group. They made a decision based on that KNOWING they were going free to play.  It's pretty simple. Even if you're right, and you're likely not, at very best you're drawing a conclusion with no evidence. The Chinese  version in all probability wasn't the reason for the NPE.  You've offered no evidence that it was.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 12:51 AM, Obtena.7952 said:

I don't get this comment for two reasons:

1. As a veteran, you get boosters ... LOTS of them, more than you can use unless you are rolling so many alts that leveling isn't a problem for you in the first place. If you are REALLY in a hurry, you can just purchase a 80 booster from the GS. Otherwise, you click a button, you get a level in about 5 seconds. Where is the boredom there, unless the attention span is the length of a fruit fly?

2. As a veteran, you have the means to outfit yourself and have prior game knowledge so leveling isn't a drag if you don't want to use boosters. 

I don't think it should be disabled because that trivializes leveling, but aside from simply handing out free 80 boosters, what more does Anet need to do here? They are more than reasonable in how they accommodate people that do not want to level. 

wait, so your logic here is that veterans are rich enough to get a lvl 80 booster?

you fail right now, you fail at grasping the problem and you fail at even understanding the very nature of why the NPE is a huge drag.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, sorudo.9054 said:

you fail right now, you fail at grasping the problem and you fail at even understanding the very nature of why the NPE is a huge drag.

There is no fail here. I can only assume you AREN'T a vet and aren't aware of all the level boosters you get as a veteran player ... or it simply suits your argument to ignore them because you think pretending that they aren't there makes you correct. 

Either way, you are the one not looking too good right now. It's not my intention to embarrass you ... unless you insist on pushing the idea that vets trying to level alts are hard done by this game. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I can only assume you AREN'T a vet and aren't aware of all the level boosters you get as a veteran player

Awww, I only have 11 stacks of Tomes. That's only enough to boost 35 characters to level 80. Though I do have various lvl 20/30/40/50/60 scrolls too, so I guess I'll manage 🙂

• Like 1