Idea to sort of turn fractals intoa seasonal mode

18 hours ago, maddoctor.2738 said:

This 100%. Finishing 100 levels every few months would be exhausting and never fun, regardless of how much time they will allocate for this so call "season".

Furthermore, rewarding those that reach the top -first- is another thing I'd never agree with. This puts pressure on players to fit their life schedule around the game (which is NEVER a good thing) so they can get to the top first to get the reward. You are giving rewards to players that have a lot of free time in a week, and not for example those that demonstrate a higher skill level.

The idea of a "season" isn't a bad one, however it needs to be shorter, much shorter in duration than 100 fractals and also designed in a way that players with lots of free time cannot get the rewards based on their free time.

Not rewards, a reward specificly the one reward catered to those ppl the majority of rewards would be catered to just reaching milestones therefore desogned for the majority.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:35 PM, zealex.9410 said:

If they cant in 4 months without losing ootions and ar progress in fractals im not sure what they add to the playerpool now.

No idea what you're saying here. I was referring to your "fastest 100 get exclusive rewards" idea which in my opinion is a flat out bad idea, even more so on a long term event.

To make my example clear: player A, or let's say "static group A" would be well capable of tackling the challenge (climb to 100 with whatever fancy stuff the event throws at them) and are likely to be among the top 100. But since they also got some RL stuff going on, they mostly play during weekends. If said event starts on, let's say tuesday, they're pretty much excluded from the top rewards just because they have to wait 3-4 days until they can join the competition.

Someone suggested to track records over the whole event period to prevent this. This would eliminate the issue, but then your idea still incentivises extreme speedrunning, which imo would be no good thing for the community as a whole. 

I'm personaly fine with people that like to spend their time min-maxing and trying to shave seconds from their runs- as long as they do it to push themselves, have fun with like-minded people, etc. 

However, the moment this kind of gameplay gets encouragement by Arena.Net by adding special rewards for it, will probably the moment this game will inevtiably die.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nash.2681 said:

No idea what you're saying here. I was referring to your "fastest 100 get exclusive rewards" idea which in my opinion is a flat out bad idea, even more so on a long term event.

To make my example clear: player A, or let's say "static group A" would be well capable of tackling the challenge (climb to 100 with whatever fancy stuff the event throws at them) and are likely to be among the top 100. But since they also got some RL stuff going on, they mostly play during weekends. If said event starts on, let's say tuesday, they're pretty much excluded from the top rewards just because they have to wait 3-4 days until they can join the competition.

Someone suggested to track records over the whole event period to prevent this. This would eliminate the issue, but then your idea still incentivises extreme speedrunning, which imo would be no good thing for the community as a whole. 

I'm personaly fine with people that like to spend their time min-maxing and trying to shave seconds from their runs- as long as they do it to push themselves, have fun with like-minded people, etc. 

However, the moment this kind of gameplay gets encouragement by Arena.Net by adding special rewards for it, will probably the moment this game will inevtiably die.

Generally ppl really hate exclusive rewards that are hard for them to get as well as speed running in general it seems even if its just a small part of the whole system, however many rewards they get they will always focus on that 1 harder to get reward and will be against it because the odds are stacked against them supposedly. (Note that groups with very high skill and time already make the most gold from the mode so anyone with lack of either misses out on rewards daily.).

World races in wow and other mmos with teams sponsored to partake still had ppl taking time off work to be there. Its all about how much you want it and if taking time off work is important enough for you. (For a seasonal event every x months i personally wouldnt take time for the exclusive speedrun reward, the other rewards would be plenty for me.

As if giving the majority of the rewards to anyoe who just gets to 100 isnt enough.

Edited by zealex.9410
  • Confused 1

The fractal rush already achieves part of what this idea is supposed to bring: temporarily increasing interest in fractals with nearly none of the drawbacks.

The rest, just plain bad. I love fractals, have had my god for quite a while now, etc etc, but being forced to redo 1-100 and even worse on a regular basis: hilarious omega bad.

It would generate short term hype, at the expense of longterm player retention and health of the game mode. Introducing repeating bursts of necessity to a game mode will result in just that: repeated bursts of forced player engagmenet. Not necessarily a healty design decision for a MMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why race?  People already detest the speed-running evolution of Fractals.  Speed in known content usually implies gimmicks/hacks, and more importantly, very very very salty people when kitten goes bad, which is counterintuitive to the seasonal melting pot idea with casuals involved.  

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 1:10 AM, zealex.9410 said:

The idea as you can see comes from nike and its likely inspired from arpg that reset every couple of months with new rewards and modifiers to make the seasons replayble and fun.

If i could also add to this id like smth like the challenges from path of exile (which is a 40 tier mastery achievement sort of system that has cool rewards every couple of tiers. They could tie recoloured fractal weapons or recolours of ad infinitum maybe ever a fractal armor set finally.

He also suggests to make ar an acount wide progression system which in all honesty would make the mode alot less daunting for new players.

Regardless what ppl think of Nike (or me) i think these are solid idea that would make fractals not also refreshing to play every x months but also a race event for content creators to cover and partake in which would bring more attention to the game on youtube and twitch.

Keep Fortnite crap in fortnite and COD. Also, AR is not expensive, once farmed to 150 can be swapped between characters. So no to both

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Keep Fortnite crap in fortnite and COD. Also, AR is not expensive, once farmed to 150 can be swapped between characters. So no to both

First of all of anything this is inspired by arpgs. Secondly legendaries could too be swapped to characters yet everyone wanted the armory. Ar could very much benefit by such a qol.

11 hours ago, zealex.9410 said:

First of all of anything this is inspired by arpgs. Secondly legendaries could too be swapped to characters yet everyone wanted the armory. Ar could very much benefit by such a qol.

Stupid mechanics are stupid, regardless where they came from. Guild wars is casual oriented game, your suggestion would stand to alienate community as a whole just because some dumb nut, who got kicked off raid test team due to bragging to get worlds first kill on boss, who they tested, is suggesting it. Also, AR costs nothing, buy it, equip all characters - money is not that hard to come by in game, esp. in fractals

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Speed clearing is the reward in itself by increasing gph, so I don't think more rewards are needed on top of that. And I'm just not a fan of the whole idea of turning it into seasonal mode in the first place, so... no, thanks.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

On 10/4/2021 at 10:13 PM, mindcircus.1506 said:

It's rare that I disagree with Nike.

While I love the idea of seasons and decent rewards for doing a 1-100 run, I think the awarding of an exclusive gizmo would just encourage what we have seen on the PvP scene.

This game doesn't need more gatekept exclusive rewards RMT'ed via account sharing

...and that is exactly what would happen.

Your response made me sad because you're probably right, but I feel like there needs to be a reason for people to come back periodically when they're getting bored. Msoft took a page out of Anet's book by allowing seasonal rewards to be earnable after the season ends for HALO I think, so Anet could try to be anet and let people tackle it on their own time in some way, like a seasonal reward track instead of a 1-100 race. That way people don't have to re-grind AR and can take it at their own pace.