Too many mundane collectables are too expensive (gold value)

Tatwi.3562

33 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I read up on it and the fact that you get fewer gems with gold than gold with gems is because of an inherent value difference and because you get taxed 15% in both directions even...and that last bit is where it becomes a gold sink. I wasn't aware of this 15% tax so I do accept that it's a gold sink now but only because of that transaction fee and not because of the difference in value between gems and gold.

The difference in value is because of the tax. You're saying the same thing as the people you're replying to, but with slightly different wording.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The difference in value is because of the tax. You're saying the same thing as the people you're replying to, but with slightly different wording.

The only difference is that they count the loss of value in both directions as a gold sink but it's actually just in one direction. So in the one direction it's a gold sink but in the other direction it's a gem sink.

Edit: I realize that this is an assumption on my part just as much as it is an assumption on their part. It doesn't actually say in the wiki article which currency the tax is charged in, but for me the most logical thing would be that in the gold to gem conversion you pay the tax in gold and the gem to gold conversion you pay the tax in gems.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Confused 3

Unfortunately anet has mostly abandon most collection that are not living world or black lion skins. Most weapon sets do not have collection, 5 of the 6 gods do not acolytes collections, and there is a guardian weapon collection but not a mesmer or elementalist one. The only consistent thing about anet collections are they are inconsistent. I would prefer more collections for all the core weapon sets.

• Confused 3

On 10/16/2021 at 12:29 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

I wasn't aware of this 15% tax so I do accept that it's a gold sink now but only because of that transaction fee and not because of the difference in value between gems and gold.

The two things are the same. Doesn't matter how you call it, either taxed or the current value (which is actively manipulated by an algorithm (to withdraw gold and/or gem from the market)) is different on buy and sell. The point is that it's a gold sink, because you get less gold back after buy&sell (or sell&buy).

But I'm glad you finally understood it.

Edited by Zentao.6314
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been playing this game since launch. I consider myself a casual player because I tend to take long breaks (think several months at a time) and when I do play I almost only do general PvE with some WvW here and there and never worry too much about being the most efficient build and gear-wise. (Copy & paste from Metabattle...)

I still managed to get a number of Legendaries done, my home instance is only missing 4 or 5 of all the available nodes, I have all the mounts with a considerable selection of skins available for each of them, I also have a personal guild hall that is currently at level 27 through my efforts, alone, and even though I only have a fraction of all available skins unlocked across the entirety of the game, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

And all this without ever spending a single real life penny on gems. Or a minute on farming, unless you count doing the dailies as such.

My point is, I guess, that you can get practically anything in the game while having a casual mentality. The only reason why I don't own each of the tier 3 cultural sets is because I chose not to buy them all. I don't find them particularly interesting, apart from a few select sets, so why bother?

Which is why I don't really understand your complaint.

You are saying that many of the relatively expensive items have no practical or aesthetic value to you. But then why do you care how much they cost? Unless you do want them, only not for the price they are asking...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1