Unlocking the Raptor and Springer in EoD: A great opportunity to add mount skins unlockable through gameplay!

At the end of the Shing Jea stream today, Nick said that all players will have the opportunity to unlock the Springer and Raptor, regardless of if they own PoF. I think this is a great opportunity to add in a new skin for each of the two mounts, as it would make it so that both players who already have those mounts and players getting them for the first time will have something to gain from doing that content. Basically, players who unlock the raptor/springer in EoD would get a different default skin than players who unlock it in PoF. If those players decide to do the PoF story, they unlock the PoF default skin. 

Furthermore, I think it also would make sense from a world-building standpoint that Canthan raptors and springers would look different from their Elonian counterparts, since they originate from different geographical regions. It stood out to me during the stream that the taxi service was using raptors that — to my knowledge — had been established as being native to Elona; it's the explanation for why there aren't any in the core Tyria regions. I know there is the raptor skin that you get with the deluxe version of expac, but its description on the pre-purchase page describes it as an aquatic raptor that enjoys the beach, so it could make sense why it isn't the main species of raptor that Canthans would use on a day-to-day basis.

I seriously hope ArenaNet doesn't let such an opportunity go to waste. Fans have been asking for unlockable mount skins for the longest time, and this is such a great opportunity to add some!

Edited by Teletric.3821
new title
  • Like 12
  • Confused 2

That’s good news that they are opening up Springer and Raptor in EoD for those players who don’t have PoF. 

While previously I have voiced distaste with adding skins that can be earned in game, I agree that this is a great opportunity to add some.  A Canthan themed Springer and Raptor would be pretty awesome. 

Although if the raptor looks like the one I got with the pre-sale for the expansion, imma be disappointed. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

While I am all for the current gem pricing of mount skins, this is an idea I could get behind. An actual story reason to get ONE skin for each mount via questing. Skeptical, because again, pay your artists and developers for all that they do, but I can see it as part of the expansion 

• Like 1

• Teletric.3821 changed the title to Unlocking the Raptor and Springer in EoD: A great opportunity to add mount skins unlockable through gameplay!
5 hours ago, zealex.9410 said:

Excuse me what?

The comment is exclusive to mount skins.  I do not believe there is reason to add free mount skins except for a few niche scenarios. By adding Raptor and Springer mount access to EoD it opens up one of these niche scenarios where I believe adding a different ‘base’ skin, suited for Cantha theme, makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1