What to do with unique Weapons/Armour?

atkino.1470

Howdy,

What exactly is the general thing to do with unique weapons/armours, etc.? I'm really only referring to rare items here, for example, the Dreambound Weapons, which scale with your level? Do you store them, salvage, etc.?

So I understand when you acquire these weapons (and indeed any new weapon and use/salvage them, etc.) you unlock their skins. However, applying the Dreambound skin to another weapon will give it the description of 'Transmuted' as opposed to 'Skin Unlocked' (a very minor detail I know.) Additionally, the Dreambound weapons scale with your level, which applying the skin to a new weapon won't give that new weapon those attributes. Lastly, albeit a small point, some weapons, for example the Royal Flame weapons have the description in light blue of "The forges of the Mad Realm burn eternally over the year, awaiting the orders of their king". Applying the skin to new weapons doesn't then subsequently add this text to the transmuted weapon.

I guess to summarise what I'm asking is, using the Dreambound staff as an example, do you store this away as it's an item you can only get once a year through only one method and is completely unique in the sense that there are no functionalities in the game to replicate this item exactly how the original was received? I would like to be able to store these unique items away without having to take up bank inventory space, etc... as there's presumably a huge number of them. I wish there was some kind of 'weapon vault' of some kind for these uniques... what do you guys do? Store on a mule or...?

Cheers in advance.

I will keep my dreambound greatsword as a go to weapon when I do my weekly lvl 10 story keyrun.

If you dont want to use it the salvage and move on.

You can get the same functionality but only rare grade if you buy bloodbound weapons if you ever feel like useing it later.

1 minute ago, hudisgreat.8492 said:

I would assume the Dreambound weapon  is to be passed around to different alts as you level them up.  Your question makes me wonder if l have perhaps misunderstood the purpose of the items.

From my understanding that is the correct view on this reward mate.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1

Thanks guys - but my question is not limited to Dreambound. I did not however realise the level scaling weapon functionality was not limited to this weapon and can be obtained elsewhere.

However, using Dreambound as the example still, you can get the same functionality.. but the original weapon is still entirely unique in that to get the exact same one (rarity, item description, not transmuted, etc.) you'd need to wait another year for the festival to start again and obtain in that way? Is this any cause alone for anyone to keep the item, regardless of whether it's used or not? I.e. it can only be obtained once a year (which in fact may be common enough for some to destroy it anyway). 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, atkino.1470 said:

Thanks guys - but my question is not limited to Dreambound. I did not however realise the level scaling weapon functionality was not limited to this weapon and can be obtained elsewhere.

However, using Dreambound as the example still, you can get the same functionality.. but the original weapon is still entirely unique in that to get the exact same one (rarity, item description, not transmuted, etc.) you'd need to wait another year for the festival to start again and obtain in that way? Is this any cause alone for anyone to keep the item, regardless of whether it's used or not? I.e. it can only be obtained once a year (which in fact may be common enough for some to destroy it anyway). 

We dont know if we will be able to get another next year.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, atkino.1470 said:

However, using Dreambound as the example still, you can get the same functionality.. but the original weapon is still entirely unique in that to get the exact same one (rarity, item description, not transmuted, etc.) you'd need to wait another year for the festival to start again and obtain in that way? 

We are looking at characters level 2-78. Bloodbound Weapons are in my opinion the better choice. They are only rare (yellow) instead of exotic (orange), but you can select the stats upon acquisition and you can change them with a small MF recipe. You can have MH, OH, 2H weapons and even underwater-weapons.  

For those of you who think about the weekly level 10 story, free BL key. You can gear a character with the bloodbound weapon and ignore every other gear. Even if you are not familiar with the mechanics, you will get the entire thing done without ever getting killed once. Normally, rare-gear drops around level 30+. So it is exremely overpowered in the lower levels. The difference to the exotic Dreambound weapon is there, but you will barely notice it.

I've grabbed the Dreambound weapon for an easy BL skin of my choice, but continue to use my Bloodbound weapons for the early levels, because I already have that gear. It has a dedicated slot in one of my bank-tabs and rests there while I do not have a character to use it.

31 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

It would take an awful lot of storage expansions to hold on to things just to keep the flavor text.

To paraphrase William Morris, keep nothing that you do not know to be beautiful or believe to be useful.

😉

As many other veterans, I have one mule-character that functions as an archiver. It carries every book, every letter and every piece of lore-object that can be safely discarded, but cannot be acquired anymore and has emotional value to me. This includes my Karka Shell 

In addition I use an arsenal-mule, which stores exotic and ascended gear, that most people would salvage/sell/destroy. A lot of backpacks from all kinds of quests (e. g. Wayfarer's Henge + sub-tiers, Golem Backpack + sub-tiers, Luminate's Backplate,  Mawdrey + subtiers, ... etc.). When I create a new character or work on a certain build, I usually check my arsenal-mule. Many times I can use/recycle an old piece of gear instead of crafting/purchasing a new one. As I keep explaining in the gear-discussions, exotic is sufficient for most of the content in GW2. There is no need to destroy/sell/salvage  the exotic ones I already own, especially if they are stat-selectable.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

As many other veterans, I have one mule-character that functions as an archiver. It carries every book, every letter and every piece of lore-object that can be safely discarded, but cannot be acquired anymore and has emotional value to me. This includes my Karka Shell 

In addition I use an arsenal-mule, which stores exotic and ascended gear, that most people would salvage/sell/destroy. A lot of backpacks from all kinds of quests (e. g. Wayfarer's Henge + sub-tiers, Golem Backpack + sub-tiers, Luminate's Backplate,  Mawdrey + subtiers, ... etc.). When I create a new character or work on a certain build, I usually check my arsenal-mule. Many times I can use/recycle an old piece of gear instead of crafting/purchasing a new one. As I keep explaining in the gear-discussions, exotic is sufficient for most of the content in GW2. There is no need to destroy/sell/salvage  the exotic ones I already own, especially if they are stat-selectable.

Wow.

I'm currently at 10 characters. One is a crafting mule who also happens to hold onto a lot of stuff that might one day be useful. I shift back and forth between characters, so I like to keep the rest of them fairly inventory light.

I know some people make a ton of alts. Having that many mules just to have nostalgic items would be a heavy investment for me in new character slots or bank tabs.

To each their own

5 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Wow.

I'm currently at 10 characters. One is a crafting mule who also happens to hold onto a lot of stuff that might one day be useful. I shift back and forth between characters, so I like to keep the rest of them fairly inventory light.

I know some people make a ton of alts. Having that many mules just to have nostalgic items would be a heavy investment for me in new character slots or bank tabs.

To each their own

It reads worse than it is ^^. I'm at 15 characters after 9+ years, which is rather weak. I know veterans with half the years who have their 3rd or even 5th account in the making. Most of the characters I own are geared and combat-ready. But the ones I rarely use have sub-functionalities, such as gatherers or chest campers. Some have crafting professions leveled up to 500. I usually have a group of 4, which I use more frequently. The others carry stuff. If I decide to use one of the other characters, I have to swap roles. A carrier becomes active, an active char becomes a carrier. 

• Like 1

There are two parts to weapons and armour in GW2: the skin and the stats/functionality.

If I only want the skin I make sure it's unlocked in the wardrobe then salvage the original. If it's not salvagable I sell it to a merchant or throw it in the Mystic Forge or if those are also impossible I delete it.

If I want the weapon itself for the stats or whatever I either give it to a character who can use it right away or put it in the bank to use later, but before I allow myself to do that I have to be able to say which character/s it's for and why it's more useful than other stuff I can pick up. Otherwise I'd fill my bank 5 times over with stuff that might possibly be useful one day.

For the Dreambound weapons that's obvious: they will always be best-in-slot for your character until level 80 when you can use ascended/legendary instead. For other items it might be because they have selectable stats so it's a quick way to change my build on a character or gear up a new one, or because the stat selection itself is useful. If I'm keeping it for cosmetic reasons like the flavour text it has to be something that's meaningful to me or my character. (For example if/when I get a legendary amulet my elementalist will keep using the Triforge Pendant because it checks both those boxes.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys - so I think a safe summary would be; yes there are some unique items which cannot be exactly replicated (flavour texts, etc.) and only obtained once (or very infrequently) ... it's just a personal choice of how anal you want to be with keeping these items and, if so, being prepared to spend a hell of a lot expanding your storages, etc.? It's just very difficult for me to decide what to do exactly, because GW for me is the sort of game I'd really want to keep a hold of these items (being an original GW player also) but at the same time it would take up a hell of a lot of my time and investment to be able to do this! 🤪

15 hours ago, atkino.1470 said:

Thanks guys - so I think a safe summary would be; yes there are some unique items which cannot be exactly replicated (flavour texts, etc.) and only obtained once (or very infrequently) ... it's just a personal choice of how anal you want to be with keeping these items and, if so, being prepared to spend a hell of a lot expanding your storages, etc.? It's just very difficult for me to decide what to do exactly, because GW for me is the sort of game I'd really want to keep a hold of these items (being an original GW player also) but at the same time it would take up a hell of a lot of my time and investment to be able to do this! 🤪

Not sure how many items you are really trying to keep around, but a new character slot is $10, and its cheap to outfit them with 20+ slot bags, giving you immediate access to another ~100 items you can store.

That's not too expensive imo, unless you are trying to save hundreds and hundreds of items this way

23 hours ago, atkino.1470 said:

Howdy,

What exactly is the general thing to do with unique weapons/armours, etc.? I'm really only referring to rare items here, for example, the Dreambound Weapons, which scale with your level? Do you store them, salvage, etc.?

I store the Dreambound weapon because it has a special function (auto scaling for low level chars) but all other weapon/armor below Ascended (not precursors, of course 🙂 ) I do salvage because I still can use the skins of these items later, if I want to.