Would you support a new progression server? Vanilla to HoT to PoF on a new account.

Logos.3042

Interest In A Guild Wars 2 Progression Server?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play on a progression server that did about ~6-9 months on vanilla, then on HoT, and then on PoF?

• Yes, I would
    • No, I wouldn't
    • Depends...
    • Undecided
  2. 2. When considering all factors, is this a good idea?

• Good idea!
    • Bad idea.
    • Depends...
    • Undecided

I wonder how separate the two economies would be. Can players use guild banks to trade between accounts in the different economies?  Is there a cool down between opting in or opting out or will the account be forced to remain in once opting in?  Can my other account mail stuff to it and it mail stuff back? Can players do the Ley line Event on both accounts and earn mystic coins on both and trade them between accounts? Will both accounts get log in rewards and trade them between accounts? 

Edited by Just a flesh wound.3589
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I knew you weren't going to read it, so I even underlined the part where I said I understood you wanted it to be a separate opt-in thing. Yet you still somehow missed it.

Either way, my point remains the same. If all you cared about was actually having the appreciation and experiences you say the prog server will restore, you'd be fine replicating them on your own in the current environment. I acknowledged that following a mounted zerg for some metas would be difficult, but that for the most part zone segregation in HoT seems to limit how much a mount can get you around.

But just appreciating elevation/challenging pathing on your own isn't enough, you don't want anyone visible around you doing anything different. That is what I find disingenuous.

If you arent going to read my full reply which address your point, there is nothing more you can hear.

edit: did you even read your sentence right after your underline?  You literally acknowledge I'm not saying that, but then assume the opposite of what you underlined.  You are self-contradictory.

Edited by Logos.3042

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Would there be enough players who wanted to constrain themselves (with no Mounts) to complete these elusive meta/Hero Challenges playing at the same time in this proposed new HoT maps?

And, if there are, why can't they just get together and play sans Mounts in the maps now? 

Would there be enough ROI to create these new maps?  Are these maps something players have to purchase?  (Not something I, personally, would purchase...sorry.)

1. No idea on numbers on this.

2. Because everything gets streamrolled by mounts at the moment and players that are playing by self-restricted rules are not operating at the same pace.

3. No idea.  I would pay to be on a seperate server like this. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I started to play year and a half ago, as a fresh player I needed to do my maps without glider or a mounts. As new player you have to choose will you go to HoT or PoF, in either way you are going to new expansion without some nice helping feature. My husband and I both went to PoF first, but then we didn't have glider to save us from fall etc. We have done all PoF without Griffon or Skyscale... 250 gold was expensive for me at that time so I even done big part of HoT without those mounts.

I think for new players there are still some limitations and challenges while for old players all those features that are developed by mastery points are reward for their hard work and that work can be used by their alts to complete maps faster.  

• Like 1

Nope, no way. If I don't want to use mounts or gliding, I can just not use them while still retaining my main account and everything on it.

Something like this would need an entirely new trading post as EU and NA share one. And as someone who played at the release of core and PoF, I do not want to deal with the volatility of the TP. Plus there would be speculators and would-be TP barons who are using current prices to determine what all to buy.

Then there's how updates would have to go in order. You can't just put currenct balance on old content without testing to see if it works and there are skills that have drastically been changed over the years.

And they're updating the engine to DX11, something release-IBS did not have so that would also need to be tested and tweaked and you'd still end up with one group of players saying it should be DX9 because that's what it was when it was new and another group saying it should be DX11 because better graphics/performance.

And how would you deal with the map meta events in HoT? There's going to be a fraction of the playerbase so those would have to be downscaled by a lot for player to successfully do them, and even now most PoF metas don't have enough players interested in doing them.

It's just a lot of extra work on top of an already full production schedule and there would have to be a dedicated team keeping an eye on things and modifying patches to work. There's also barely any demand for it and if they decided to pull resources from raids and PvP due to low player numbers they aren't going to put more resources into something for an even smaller number of players.

Especially when there are ways to experience things as a "new" player already and most people don't want to deal with grinding masteries all over again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Logos.3042 said:

3. No idea.  I would pay to be on a seperate server like this. 

If you paid for a server like this, and found out it has too low player population to do most metas (even to the point you'd often end up having to solo most of the stuff), what would you do? Would you keep playing, or would you complain, and ask for changes (or for your character to be moved back to "normal" server)?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Although it gets a lot of hate, the economy is stable. Pressing the reset-button will not do the trick. In order to get it working, you would also have to wipe the memory of every single player. Else the veterans would just use their knowledge to make huge profits and probably ruin the community in its first steps. In the worst case you end up with an inflation rate of 50-200 % of gold. We would have the same or even a worse shadow-system with Mystic Coins. 

The initial hyperinflation would probably be more drastic than that.  Good insight in that participant memory is a confounding factor in the economy.

Pushing the reset button on the economy would be the biggest destabilizing event you could possibly do to it.  I, personally, would find it enjoyable to watch how it changes over time to resettle on, what I would predict, to be completely new equilibriums.  Most people would not enjoy this, as prices would fluctuate drastically.

Aside from the economy, this isn't a good idea.  People already covered the server cost side of the argument.

The player base would unnaturally stretch thin across content.  When the game first launched, every player had no clue about all of the stuff in the game.  Doing this "reset" would not recreate that initial player rush into the world because many players already know what's to come.  This alters behavior in a way that would be detrimental to the original goal of the OP.

I get that the goal of the OP is to play the game with the rules reset to the base game (plus QoL changes over the years).  However, this is impossible.  You can never get this because of time.  Events have already happened and you cannot reset time back to 0.  Attempting to imitate the 0 point would not yield the same results as what happened during the actual, initial 0 point of time (relative to the game's life).  

People have already experienced the game, know what to expect, have already explored the entire game, etc.  This completely alters what the vanilla game experience would be like.  

Essentially, you can reset the game but you cannot reset the players.

• Like 3

Honestly i would like a beta server/preview server. Basically functioning like all beta characters, so no progression is saved but you can test new balancing, or upcoming changes etc.

This would also give the devs a tool to gain more feedbacj on balancing changes/prevent hotfix issues like scourge ofter the rune change or guardian during the specialization update in 2015.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 2:29 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

If you paid for a server like this, and found out it has too low player population to do most metas (even to the point you'd often end up having to solo most of the stuff), what would you do? Would you keep playing, or would you complain, and ask for changes (or for your character to be moved back to "normal" server)?

I already have an account on a normal server.  I wouldnt give that up, I still like mounts and all of that good stuff, but I get the itch to play on maps according to the original design, especially vanilla and HoT.  I would play on this for 1 year plus and still be having fun.  

I would totally settle for even an instance that locked out Mounts for the whole map just like is done for jumping puzzles.  I'm not trying to kill the devs here, but the ingenuity of HoT maps is just trivialized right now.  

And, no, high population is not required for this to be fun, just enough people to pull off the meta events.  With how many instances of maps they have going now, I dont think this would be an issue.