The Untamed only has value as a nostalgic element to old GW1 fans

Ausar.9542

The Untamed is pretty boring espec. It only appeals to the old Bunny Thumper fans of GW1. I was excited about Ranger getting another 2hander melee weapon, and becoming more front line tank bruiser. But this has some of the most dull elite spec mechanic. I hope this goes back to the drawing board. Honestly at this rate, I wouldnt mind a push back for release to get better quality Elite Specs ready for release across the board.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, chemiclord.3978 said:

The meme wasn't what made Bunny Thumper popular.  That it was viable (which was a rarity for GW1 Rangers) was what made Bunny Thumper popular.

Don't think it was entirely a meme, but also just a character fantasy people enjoyed.

Beastmasters are my favourite archetype of the ranger theme in general. I never played ranger in GW1 without a pet, since this mechanic was the primary appeal of the class for me (and I really loved my reef lurker). Being the one to keep the enemy on the ground and commanding my pet to maul them was fun thematically.

So just want to say: I don't think people are drawn to it just for the meme or viability. Theme fantasy plays a role, too. It's the same for mechanist, which is beloved by people simply because they dig the theme of having a giant robot buddy (and I hate them for it).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Don't think it was entirely a meme, but also just a character fantasy people enjoyed.

Beastmasters are my favourite archetype of the ranger theme in general. I never played ranger in GW1 without a pet, since this mechanic was the primary appeal of the class for me (and I really loved my reef lurker). Being the one to keep the enemy on the ground and commanding my pet to maul them was fun thematically.

So just want to say: I don't think people are drawn to it just for the meme or viability. Theme fantasy plays a role, too. It's the same for mechanist, which is beloved by people simply because they dig the theme of having a giant robot buddy (and I hate them for it).

The "bunny hop" animation part of it was the meme.

And this is where I must be misremembering, because the Bunny Thumpers I saw dropped the pet entirely and focused almost entirely on knockdowns and CC.  There was no real "beast master" aspect that I remember seeing.  Maybe I just played some really bad Thumpers in Alliance Battles.

On 10/30/2021 at 6:58 PM, Ausar.9542 said:

The Untamed is pretty boring espec. It only appeals to the old Bunny Thumper fans of GW1. I was excited about Ranger getting another 2hander melee weapon, and becoming more front line tank bruiser. But this has some of the most dull elite spec mechanic. I hope this goes back to the drawing board. Honestly at this rate, I wouldnt mind a push back for release to get better quality Elite Specs ready for release across the board.

untamed conceptually isnt boring. its just not balanced correctly so u end up basically ignoring half its mechanics.

Pets losing all their base abilities when unleashed is a huge DPS Loss so u dont use it, the fact it has a CD Makes it rly hard to use in pvP without killing urself with the increased Damage taken.. Which means most leave unleashed mainly on the pet unless u've got someone pinned which means ur not using the pet abilities in a fashion they advertise.

the Loss of core Ranger control kinda dulls the manual control over the abilities effectively.. as ur trading a QoL for a different QoL not gaining QoL.

Unleashed feeling so weak makes it ignorable.. it doesnt do anything fancy enough to make the mechanic exciting.

Hammer doesnt do enough dmg to warrant its use. meaning ur not using it, so boom ur basically turning ur untamed into a core ranger with more stats.

Hammer and Unleashed abilities sharing CDs means it kinda limits ur combos massively.

a Few hammer skills feel abit slow it also lacks any sorta gap closer.

the Cantrips are underwhelming and the specc lacks Condi options.

the problem isnt the fact its boring, the problem is the specc was sooo undertuned that the mechanic didnt feel impactful.

I doubt they can just keep extending the launch date, at a point they'll start cut content to keep afloat.. i'll take playing soulbeast for another 4 years before having a "new Specc" in a Dead game without content effectively im afraid the trade offs really arent worth it here.

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 1:30 PM, chemiclord.3978 said:

I think a lot of people were excited over the "Bunny Thumper" prospect.  Then they realized Untamed is trash, and the honeymoon is already over.

The meme wasn't what made Bunny Thumper popular.  That it was viable (which was a rarity for GW1 Rangers) was what made Bunny Thumper popular.

It was viable for like a month or two and then Anet killed it because it made Warriors obsolete in their specific role with their own weapon

The only reason it lives on in memory is because it has a dumb meme name

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

There were pet skills that required a target to be CC-ed , so yes the pet was part of GW1 "bunny thumper".

Official article https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Bunny_Thumper

PVXWiki which was purchased by fandom
https://gwpvx.fandom.com/wiki/Archive:R/W_Bunny_Thumper
https://gwpvx.fandom.com/wiki/Archive:R/W_Ferocious_Strike_Bunny_Thumper

I think Bestial Mauling was a totally necessary as part of the build and so, therefore the pet is too. 9s of Daze on a caster who was just knocked down is extremely powerful when you have yourself and the pet both attacking 33% faster, it's total shutdown unless they get a condi cleanse. While there were Hammer Ranger builds without a pet (Like Earth Shaker), this was better imo.  

On 10/30/2021 at 6:58 PM, Ausar.9542 said:

Only thing in common  between Bunny Thumper and Untamed is that a hammer is involved.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The "bunny thumper" was a very well know and power build for PVP of Cantha. Regardless of if or if not you like or if or if not it makes you nostalgic it is still a wonderful little tribute to Cantha as it was a guild wars one. It even got lore. It absolutely deserves its place.

• Confused 1