Is Warrior really this squishy?

Joxer.6024

48 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

I'd say the main reason why war feels squishy is that it has to be in melee to deal damage, and that damage is bad. Playing war you are forced to dart in to deal "burst" "damage" and then dart out, against melee. That works, as long as your opponent is trying to kill you with melee. And by works I mean you won't die fast, I don't mean you'll actually deal damage, considering blind, weakness, slow, cripple, blocks, evades, distort, etc., eating up all your "burst" "damage" (and especially considering your ultra limited melee range and the dysfunctional rush/leaps). Or just your target outrunning you because they have swiftness for 33% and you have passive 25% movement speed.

As soon as your opponent switches to a ranged option (which everything but condi weaver has, where weaver has fire shield) and starts kiting, you are in trouble. Just by trying to close in to do damage you already probably ate 1/4 or even 1/3 of your HP worth of damage. Then your target pops a stability CD and you are just sitting there eating damage; you can't get back at range because you'll die from ranged damage, and you can't stay in melee because you can't stun lock the target. All the while you are being outdamaged and outsustained (by literally every profession, even thief). You can at least LoS in spvp, and in wvw you usually can run away.

It also doesn't help that half your condi cleanses are your stunbreak, with insane 75 sec CD. And you have no viable stability CD, so you can easily die to CC chains from e.g. DH or power tempest. But I feel those would be offset if you could actually deal damage; herald rev also suffers from CC chains, but at least it deals insane damage...

I have seen some players on high damage berserker spec, where  the squishiness is repaid with having actually good damage. But I imagine the moment one good thief gets on top of them they are dead in 2 seconds. Or they get bursted by a DH or a herald. And likely weakness shuts them down too.

Overall you are doing average damage with average sustain, where other professions either have average damage and good sustain, or good damage and average sustain. So you either cannot kill your target due to them outsustaining your damage, or you cannot kill your target due to them pressuring you into playing defensively.

Of course you can always just play better than your opponent and win. But at that point, imagine if you were playing rev or ranger, you would be demolishing them...

Lucky I dont play PVP else it would be even worse.....?

6 minutes ago, Joxer.6024 said:

Lucky I dont play PVP else it would be even worse.....?

If you mean war is squishy in pve, likely the reason is that you don't play pvp 🙂

The way you have to play in spvp/wvw roaming will make you mostly unkillable in open world.

For open world I play core strength/tactics/discipline, with GS and axe/warhorn. I slot "Mending", "Shake It Off", "For Great Justice", "Bull's Charge", "Signet of Rage" and I use full Berserker gear with Brawler runes, with one Sigil of Energy for extra dodges. You don't deal as much damage as a raid BS (bannerslave), obviously, but you have nearly endless dodges/evades, stunbreaks, heals and condi cleanses. The profession almost feels functional without the changes done to it for pvp.

I don't know about raids; in fractals the wars (the BS, really) are definitely not dying left and right. But the same is true for anything other than weaver and sometimes the rare thief. As long as your support is doing their job well, getting downed should be really rare.

• Thanks 1

I was watching a bit PvP lately and for the love of gods I cant understand  how some can say with a straight face that warrior is a good bruiser.

The only thing they do is run around (being a sidenoder pretty much), engage for a few seconds, then kite away before you die and to get your cooldowns back. That's not really bruising. A bruiser stays in melee and sustains through the fight without kiting imo (reaper, holo, rev). That just shows the problems. You need to run less defense as warrior, since your damage isnt really good (plus highly telegraphed with no real alternatives) and because of that you are forced to keep disengaging. Maybe Im just naive but thats how I see it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, anbujackson.9564 said:

I was watching a bit PvP lately and for the love of gods I cant understand  how some can say with a straight face that warrior is a good bruiser.

The only thing they do is run around (being a sidenoder pretty much), engage for a few seconds, then kite away before you die and to get your cooldowns back. That's not really bruising. A bruiser stays in melee and sustains through the fight without kiting imo (reaper, holo, rev). That just shows the problems. You need to run less defense as warrior, since your damage isnt really good (plus highly telegraphed with no real alternatives) and because of that you are forced to keep disengaging. Maybe Im just naive but thats how I see it.

ive had similar success with Specter in full offensive gear in unranked and semi-offense spellbreaker lol

• 4 weeks later...