Are there still living Margonite ?

Dawanarth.4601

Possibly.  I have been under the impression that Margonites are very long lived, if not outright immortal.  So any that survived the war against Abaddon and the later battle against Mallyx could still be around.  But only those ones as the Margonites cannot reproduce as they lost that ability when they were turned into the demonic form that characterized their kind after Abaddon's rebellion.

That said, I am currently not inclined to think that Arenanet have any intention of using them in the near future.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 1

Everything is possible.
But I think it is important to make a difference between the margonites in GW1 and the original margonites.
The ones in GW1 where all demons enslaved by abadon. Although they still exist, I doubt they will return as their story has been told and is over.

A different aspect are the original margonites. We know very little about them. afaik it is unknown if some of them survived or if there are any traces of them in the world.
It would be nice to have that part of lore further explored, but I still do not think it will happen in EoD or in a LS directly afterwards. The simple reason is that they do not seem to have any ties with Cantha. there has been some confusion with them being seen the same as luxons. For now I do not think they should play a part in the story anytime soon.

For expansion 4 I would like to see them explore new lands and new lore. End of Dragons is advertised as the place all main stories in GW1 and GW2 has been building up to. So beyond that it should be a fresh start. New continents. New races. New etc.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

But only those ones as the Margonites cannot reproduce as they lost that ability when they were turned into the demonic form that characterized their kind after Abaddon's rebellion.

Has there ever been an official source that they lost their ability to reproduce?

13 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Has there ever been an official source that they lost their ability to reproduce?

In Guild Wars 1 there is a friendly Margonite called The Lost, who says that the Margonites don't have children, and don't change from the old ways, and he says they were wrong to follow Abaddon.

• Like 1

Arenanet- feel free to steal this, in fact I encourage it

ive posted about this idea multiple times before- I really want them to expand on the little plot point in LWS3, that we were lied to by the other gods about Abaddon. Maybe not even have that be real, but have enough characters believe it to be real to start the New Margonites from the reformed church of Abaddon. And new idea (for me at least, others very well may have come up with it before): make there be a large Sylvari following. Already a naturally curious race, that has further had it revealed to them that their Mother hid what they were created to be from the vast majority of them, as well as having odd senses of morality given their circumstances of creation? I could easily see them seeing Abaddon as a martyred hero of knowledge and curiosity who was destroyed for asking too many questions that ruffled the others sense of morality/superiority the wrong way 

anyways, rant over. I’ve just really been wanting this for a long time haha

• Haha 1

The premise of the post-Nightfall elite mission Domain of Anguish is that the Forgotten and forces of Kormir are hunting down the last of Abaddon's followers.

As such, aside from turncoats like The Lost and Apostate, the Margonites should all be wiped out.

Doesn't mean ANet can't write in some explanation for why they'd remain. However, with Abaddon gone, his magics have been weakening as seen in The Desolation with the story around the Sand Jackals and the Lair of the Forgotten NPCs who mention that the sulfur - caused by Abaddon's magic seeping out of the Mouth of Torment - have been weakening over the past 250 years (probably why the Commander doesn't get insta-killed for standing on them, and a mere skimmer is sufficient to survive the wastes).

So while in Nightfall, Kournans were being slowly transformed into new Margonites, with Abaddon dead and thus the source of his magic gone, it seems unlikely new Margonites can be born. And with the majority of them wiped out in Nightfall, even if some remain it'd be a small pocket, not a sufficient amount to become a LW season or expansion antagonist force - at least not alone.

That said, I doubt ANet will return to them. The writers from S3 on (esp. S4) seem very much intent to go their own way and have been quickly closing up loose threads left by GW1 and core GW2 one after another with little fanfare. Even Cantha seems to only really be a focus because higher ups demanded it, rather than the current devs wanting it so much, with how drastically different and unrelated to the plot hooks left promised to be covered in GW2 the expansion is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1