Any news on controller support?

Raifu.3954

Recently bought the collection because I always loved the story direction of this game and need something to delve into for the oncoming downtime of both ffxiv and pso2's expansions (because it WILL happen), but I played with the steam controller support feature but was still a bit clunky last I remembered. Are they currently working on it or still radio silence?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raifu.3954 said:

Recently bought the collection because I always loved the story direction of this game and need something to delve into for the oncoming downtime of both ffxiv and pso2's expansions (because it WILL happen), but I played with the steam controller support feature but was still a bit clunky last I remembered. Are they currently working on it or still radio silence?

It is a side project for 1 of the developers, so doing it on their spare free time.

Unsure if that developer got cut when Anet lost some staff a year or so ago tho.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

Steam control and real controller support is totally different... I keep coming back to check the forum regarding about controller support. Guess I won't be buying new expansion since they still don't have controller support yet.

To be fair we dont even know if the one dev that had it as his hobby project off the clock still work at Anet mate.

I play MMO's (and most games with controller, have for years). Yes i'm super casual. No fractals, raids or PVP etc.

Steam controller software is brilliant when you delve into its deep features.

And Guild Wars 2 is like it was made for controller thanks to the action cam and how it automatically switch to mouse mode when opnening vendor/options menu etc, usually have to map a button yourself to switch between your own programmed "action cam" and mouse mode.

Works best with a steam controller, but mine broke and impossible to get a new one now a days sadly. Right now on a cheap controller with really bad right stick (mouse) response, but I still get by 😛

You won't lack buttons with use of activation buttons. For things that doesn't require quick reactions you can also use double press/long press etc to do commands.

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

To be fair we dont even know if the one dev that had it as his hobby project off the clock still work at Anet mate.

The dev left anet, but said he got rather far with the project and hopes another dev can finish it.

You can find more about it here:  

https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/rzqrq4/why_cant_anet_add_an_official_mount_wheel_option/

Edited by Schimmi.6872
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

The dev left anet, but said he got rather far with the project and hopes another dev can finish it.

You can find more about it here:  

https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/rzqrq4/why_cant_anet_add_an_official_mount_wheel_option/

Nice find so we do know that they dont work there anymore.

So OP slim chance to get native controller support now bud.

We just have to hope that sometime after EoD launch they can find the time to implement it, because it's getting silly at this point. All their major competitors have controller support, many lower budget MMOs have controller support, and many games that don't work as well with a controller as GW2 does have controller support; it's simply past due.

edit: apparently people found either my wording or sentiment confusing.

Edited by ShionKreth.1542
  • Confused 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 8:25 AM, jokke.6239 said:

I play MMO's (and most games with controller, have for years). Yes i'm super casual. No fractals, raids or PVP etc.

Steam controller software is brilliant when you delve into its deep features.

And Guild Wars 2 is like it was made for controller thanks to the action cam and how it automatically switch to mouse mode when opnening vendor/options menu etc, usually have to map a button yourself to switch between your own programmed "action cam" and mouse mode.

Works best with a steam controller, but mine broke and impossible to get a new one now a days sadly. Right now on a cheap controller with really bad right stick (mouse) response, but I still get by 😛

You won't lack buttons with use of activation buttons. For things that doesn't require quick reactions you can also use double press/long press etc to do commands.

Hi there. Nice to know this. I'm also a casual player, so i want to know if you can share your steam controller config with us, so we can try to have the same experience.

3 hours ago, DonLouan.2891 said:

Hi there. Nice to know this. I'm also a casual player, so i want to know if you can share your steam controller config with us, so we can try to have the same experience.

You wouldn't understand how to use it, only maybe with a wall of text of me explaining how it works.

And even then, it's mapped to my personal key commands in-game that wouldn't fit the default scheme.

I wouldn't reccommend using other peoples configs. Learning how to use the software will pay off big time. It's not too complicated 🙂

It's almost imposiible to find a config that will fit you perfectly, rather than just map it to your own preferences.

I personally would probably not use a controller anyway but I know someone who can't properly use a keyboard for fast-paced actions and pretty much relies on controller support. And I think a lot of people just prefer using a controller overall.
So I'd also appreciate proper support, even tho I'd not use it.

Edited by DoomNexus.5324
  • Like 4