New PC going bonkers, I need help! :(

Blur.3465

Hey guys!

So I’m looking for help from any source I can get.

I replaced some PC components to better ones, so my set-up looks like this:

MSI B560 Tomahawk Motherboard (brand new)

i5 11400F CPU (brand new)

GeForce GTX 2060 GPU (1 year old)

32 RAM (16 RAM 2x) (brand new)

(PSU is: Sharkoon 700w - has 3ish years, aiming to get a new one tomorrow just in case.)

Trouble is, every time I start the game, my PC restarts on its own. No error, nothing…just restarts.

I can watch videos, do Photoshop, but whenever I enter a game (ANY game) my PC restarts.

So far it looks like this:

• Tried with GW2.

I enter the game and walk around a bit, then PC restarts.

• I start WoW and get to character selection screen. I hit enter world and wait for loading screen, then my PC restarts.

After trying the same thing again, my BNet went bonkers and stopped recognizing WoW among my installed games, so I had to ‘locate’ it again.

When I located WoW again, my graphics reset to default.

I put my graphics back to how they were, and when I clicked ‘apply’ PC restarted again.

• I wanted to test the same on ESO.

I login and get to char screen and then my PC restarts.

Everything else works as in…I can type, open browser, my PC starts up well, there’s no ‘error’ nor screen tearing, no visual interruptions etc.

So…I’m breaking my head over this.

What could be the problem? 😞

I have this very rotten luck with PC, as every time I get something new and look forward to it, it doesn’t work. Ugh.

Also to note, I use HDMI cable for my monitor, not sure if that has something to do with it?

Even though it all worked flawlessly well two days ago on my old set-up (with same gcard).

I had i5 8400 processor and Asus Tuf B360-pro gaming motherboard.

Edited by Blur.3465

Maybe your powersupply is on the way out if it only occurs when playing a game as the GPU uses more electricity/power than your CPU will when launching a 3d application.

To isolate the issue you should use firestrike benchmark or some other load test. If it doesn't work in that it isn't a game problem, there is something wrong with your hardware or software.

1 hour ago, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

Have you triet bring it to technical/pc fix service?

Thay may have much more experience to tell you whats up

It's going to head to service tomorrow to see what the problem is.
Though I do wonder if there's anything I can do from here before I get deprived off of PC again. 

1 hour ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Maybe your powersupply is on the way out if it only occurs when playing a game as the GPU uses more electricity/power than your CPU will when launching a 3d application.

Yeah that's what I think. It's strange cause it's a pretty strong PSU and it SHOULD run it smoothly, could be that it's about to die though...

1 hour ago, Infusion.7149 said:

To isolate the issue you should use firestrike benchmark or some other load test. If it doesn't work in that it isn't a game problem, there is something wrong with your hardware or software.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue. Considering my old setup (from two days ago) worked flawlessly. With new stuff now, I am getting these problems.

Edited by Blur.3465

There's no reviews for Sharkoon on RealhardtechX database:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2423.htm

Nor on the Cybenetics database:
https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=power-supplies

There's a few on TPU: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/PSUs/Sharkoon/

As far as quality units I would say Corsair's full digital ones (from Flextronic OEM as opposed to Great Wall /CWT) or Seasonic are decent bets.

• Thanks 1

I'll get new PSU tomorrow and hopefully that will solve the issue.
Will do some more tests tomorrow when I go to repair store and see what the real issue behind it could be.

I suspect it's PSU, but do you think it can also be some of the connectors that might be a bit loose or faulty?

It's funny because I can do Photoshop just fine, watch videos just fine...but the moment I load a game, PC restarts.
Another fun fact is that my new RAM is Kingston 16GB Fury Beast 3200mhz. (2x)
Could it also be that there's not enough power for all of that to run  on my set-up and that PSU is struggling to keep all these power-hungry components?
I thought that 700W would be enough, but clearly my PSU is either failing...or it could be a connector...or RAM isn't working too well on 3200mhz (even though it supports it)?

Edited by Blur.3465

2 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Try reseating your GPU and PCIE power connectors as the RTX 2060 uses external power and just just the 75W from motherboard?

I'll see to give that a go tomorrow as well! 
I'll keep you all posted here once I come to a solution; in case someone else gets to have a similar problem.

5 hours ago, Blur.3465 said:

Hey guys!

So I’m looking for help from any source I can get.

I replaced some PC components to better ones, so my set-up looks like this:

MSI B560 Tomahawk Motherboard (brand new)

i5 11400F CPU (brand new)

GeForce GTX 2060 GPU (1 year old)

32 RAM (16 RAM 2x) (brand new)

(PSU is: Sharkoon 700w - has 3ish years, aiming to get a new one tomorrow just in case.)

Trouble is, every time I start the game, my PC restarts on its own. No error, nothing…just restarts.

I can watch videos, do Photoshop, but whenever I enter a game (ANY game) my PC restarts.

So far it looks like this:

• Tried with GW2.

I enter the game and walk around a bit, then PC restarts.

• I start WoW and get to character selection screen. I hit enter world and wait for loading screen, then my PC restarts.

After trying the same thing again, my BNet went bonkers and stopped recognizing WoW among my installed games, so I had to ‘locate’ it again.

When I located WoW again, my graphics reset to default.

I put my graphics back to how they were, and when I clicked ‘apply’ PC restarted again.

• I wanted to test the same on ESO.

I login and get to char screen and then my PC restarts.

Everything else works as in…I can type, open browser, my PC starts up well, there’s no ‘error’ nor screen tearing, no visual interruptions etc.

So…I’m breaking my head over this.

What could be the problem? 😞

I have this very rotten luck with PC, as every time I get something new and look forward to it, it doesn’t work. Ugh.

Also to note, I use HDMI cable for my monitor, not sure if that has something to do with it?

Even though it all worked flawlessly well two days ago on my old set-up (with same gcard).

I had i5 8400 processor and Asus Tuf B360-pro gaming motherboard.

When one upgrade as much as you did, it is necessary to make a clean Windows install. The reason is that there is a lot of drivers that isn't the same on your mainboard (chipset) and possible other connected devices will also need to be updated in the same process to work correctly. Windows detect what hardware you have installed or connected and will download, if possible generic drivers for you. In other cases you will need to fetch driver from vendors costumer support/help site to have the latest public one. Be careful to read which version vendore recommend for the set up you have in case there would be potential problem.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-do-clean-installation-windows-10

As you already know from comments above, doesn't have many sites that have tested it as the more well known brands like Seasonic, BeQuiet, Corsair and so on. 700 Watt in general is enough, but you need to know how this is being distributed among different rails. Most system have rails for +3.3V, 5 V and 12 V which need to be balanced (see manual for Mainboard and PSU) and even here it can be different from brand to brand how stable and efficent each rail will work depending on how the internal compenents  been put together and what quality they have.

Here you can see a manual from on of Sharkoon PSU: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/910349/Sharkoon-Wpm-Bronze-400.html?page=5#manual

Something that also need to be checked is that your CPU have its connector to from PSU to mainboard (20 + 4 PIN) correctly snapped in place (there is a safty lock on side of those connectors that will snap in place when it down deeep enough as it should in mainboard).

Video card need power directly from PSU via 6+2 PIN module or even a cable with more PIN [cable need to be in one piece for GPU or PCI express] (not sure what type your GTX 2060 will need). If you are unsure, look up your manual from vendors site for your GPU. Most vendors provide that information as a PDF tha can be downloaded, if you have lost your manual that came with your GPU (same for most hardware like mainboard).

Here you can read your manual and which connector that you need make sure have been fixated in place.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B560-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/support#down-manual
(If you don't have Wifi onboard, it should be the same manual except for wifi part).

Don't forget to update your BIOS/UEFI (same place where you can download your manual). It might be that your mainboard have been produced for some time before you recieved it and there have been some updates in BIOS/UEFI that you need to do yourself since then.

You don't mention if you have overclocked CPU or GPU. Overclocking can sometimes create random behaviour like shut down or restart. Make sure that you don't have any app/driver from MSI that will do this automatically.

Warning!

Be careful and use protection to avoid ESD as during winter time air can become rather dry so that also will increase potential electrostatic discharg (ESD) that can damage components when you handle things inside your computer without any ESD equipment to reduce your own body's electrostatic charge between you and your surroundings.
Link explains a bit why this can become a problem and most computer shops have cheap ESD gear to buy to reduce some of this problem while working inside your computer. Use screwdrivers with magnetic tip to keep screws from falling inside your computer and maybe connect paths that shouldn't be connected by accident.

https://kb.iu.edu/d/aeoh

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

When one upgrade as much as you did, it is necessary to make a clean Windows install. The reason is that there is a lot of drivers that isn't the same on your mainboard (chipset) and possible other connected devices will also need to be updated in the same process to work correctly. Windows detect what hardware you have installed or connected and will download, if possible generic drivers for you. In other cases you will need to fetch driver from vendors costumer support/help site to have the latest public one. Be careful to read which version vendore recommend for the set up you have in case there would be potential problem.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-do-clean-installation-windows-10

As you already know from comments above, doesn't have many sites that have tested it as the more well known brands like Seasonic, BeQuiet, Corsair and so on. 700 Watt in general is enough, but you need to know how this is being distributed among different rails. Most system have rails for +3.3V, 5 V and 12 V which need to be balanced (see manual for Mainboard and PSU) and even here it can be different from brand to brand how stable and efficent each rail will work depending on how the internal compenents  been put together and what quality they have.

Here you can see a manual from on of Sharkoon PSU: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/910349/Sharkoon-Wpm-Bronze-400.html?page=5#manual

Something that also need to be checked is that your CPU have its connector to from PSU to mainboard (20 + 4 PIN) correctly snapped in place (there is a safty lock on side of those connectors that will snap in place when it down deeep enough as it should in mainboard).

Video card need power directly from PSU via 6+2 PIN module or even a cable with more PIN [cable need to be in one piece for GPU or PCI express] (not sure what type your GTX 2060 will need). If you are unsure, look up your manual from vendors site for your GPU. Most vendors provide that information as a PDF tha can be downloaded, if you have lost your manual that came with your GPU (same for most hardware like mainboard).

Here you can read your manual and which connector that you need make sure have been fixated in place.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B560-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/support#down-manual
(If you don't have Wifi onboard, it should be the same manual except for wifi part).

Don't forget to update your BIOS/UEFI (same place where you can download your manual). It might be that your mainboard have been produced for some time before you recieved it and there have been some updates in BIOS/UEFI that you need to do yourself since then.

You don't mention if you have overclocked CPU or GPU. Overclocking can sometimes create random behaviour like shut down or restart. Make sure that you don't have any app/driver from MSI that will do this automatically.

Warning!

Be careful and use protection to avoid ESD as during winter time air can become rather dry so that also will increase potential electrostatic discharg (ESD) that can damage components when you handle things inside your computer without any ESD equipment to reduce your own body's electrostatic charge between you and your surroundings.
Link explains a bit why this can become a problem and most computer shops have cheap ESD gear to buy to reduce some of this problem while working inside your computer. Use screwdrivers with magnetic tip to keep screws from falling inside your computer and maybe connect paths that shouldn't be connected by accident.

https://kb.iu.edu/d/aeoh

Thank you so much for a well explained post here! This means a ton! 
And it will definitely help me tomorrow when I bring the PC to check the issue. Hopefully it will all be sorted by then.
I'm going to save your post to my PC as something to keep in mind for the future; and also your links are beyond helpful.
Truly, thanks a lot!!! 🙂

I'll write a post after I sort this out and tell what was the problem in the end!

8 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Maybe your powersupply is on the way out

It could be an overheating issue with one of the hardware components, though. Or something isn't wired correctly.

There is no way to tell without taking a look at the PC oneself.

3 hours ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

When one upgrade as much as you did, it is necessary to make a clean Windows install.

I would think a person who is able to replace their computer's hardware would have such basic knowledge, same with electrostatic discharges... But I guess not? :classic_huh:

@Blur.3465, it's never wise to buy new hardware without checking the compatibility of all components first. Each motherboard has only specific RAM sticks it can use, or only specific CPUs that are compatible etc. Did you check all those things before you bought the new components?

Also, don't forget to update all the mainboard drivers after re-installing Windows once the problem has been sorted out You will find them on the board's manufacturer's homepage. Updating BIOS is also recommendable and fairly easy to do these days.

• Confused 2

Hey hey! Coming here with an update 🙂

Changed PSU today and that was the problem.
Everything works and flows perfectly fine now.

My old PSU(as mentioned) was Sharkoon 700W. It seems it couldn't pull my new configuration well. 

I thought it had to do with overclocking RAM in BIOS, as I am using Kingston Fury Beast 3200mhz, but clearly that's not the case as all my games work now. 

Truly appreciate all of you wonderful people coming here with response and offering help. Thank you all for your time and kindness and happy holidays! ❤️ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blur.3465 said:

Hey hey! Coming here with an update 🙂

Changed PSU today and that was the problem.
Everything works and flows perfectly fine now.

My old PSU(as mentioned) was Sharkoon 700W. It seems it couldn't pull my new configuration well. 

I thought it had to do with overclocking RAM in BIOS, as I am using Kingston Fury Beast 3200mhz, but clearly that's not the case as all my games work now. 

Truly appreciate all of you wonderful people coming here with response and offering help. Thank you all for your time and kindness and happy holidays! ❤️ 

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. It may help others with similar problems in the future.

• Thanks 1