Havnt played since any expansion came out... should i return?

Hiya,

So i played this game (mostly pvp) when it was released, but kinda went back to wow / eso before the first expansion launched. Now thats many years ago. My question is basicly twofold. Is it still worht it to play or did the dev's abandon the game? is it still alive?

What are some valuable tips for returning players ? I can see myself starting a new class / new character to pick up the game again. No interest in continueing what i had.

11 minutes ago, Baelrog.1703 said:

Hiya,

So i played this game (mostly pvp) when it was released, but kinda went back to wow / eso before the first expansion launched. Now thats many years ago. My question is basicly twofold. Is it still worht it to play or did the dev's abandon the game? is it still alive?

What are some valuable tips for returning players ? I can see myself starting a new class / new character to pick up the game again. No interest in continueing what i had.

The devs most certainly didn't abandon the game. In fact there's a new expansion coming in a couple of months.

Is it worth to come back, you ask? I guess that's up to your own expectations and preferences. You could always pop in and see what's going on - the game is still there and your account is still alive.

As for tips, here's a couple I can come up with offhand:

- Don't delete your old toons - you get birthday gifts based on how old your characters are, so before deciding to throw away a toon, check up the birthday contents on wiki so you know what you're doing.

- If you have level boosters, don't use them immediately. Rather, take the time to re-learn the game as you level a toon.

- Play through the content in the order it was introduced. Each living world season and expansion introduced new challenges that could overwhelm you if you're not properly "trained" for them.

I'm sure others can come up with a lot more helpful tips for you 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zohane.7208 said:

The devs most certainly didn't abandon the game. In fact there's a new expansion coming in a couple of months.

Is it worth to come back, you ask? I guess that's up to your own expectations and preferences. You could always pop in and see what's going on - the game is still there and your account is still alive.

As for tips, here's a couple I can come up with offhand:

- Don't delete your old toons - you get birthday gifts based on how old your characters are, so before deciding to throw away a toon, check up the birthday contents on wiki so you know what you're doing.

- If you have level boosters, don't use them immediately. Rather, take the time to re-learn the game as you level a toon.

- Play through the content in the order it was introduced. Each living world season and expansion introduced new challenges that could overwhelm you if you're not properly "trained" for them.

I'm sure others can come up with a lot more helpful tips for you 🙂

Thanks a bunch, ill read into the new expansion. Didnt know about that ! Currently looking into a necromancer or guardian class to casuallly play.

my interest is mostly solo or random battlegrounds (pvp) will those classes be fine for that content? Are there specific class specializations i should think about ?

Edited by Baelrog.1703

I will add in Revenant along with Guardian and Necromancer, i would normally add Mesmer as well but the class is really not easy for someone starting over after a long time. Rev/Guard/Necro are pretty straight foward in the playstyle and very strong solo focused that being said they are doing just as great in PvP/WvW in general.

- Guard is just being everyone favorite for a long time, they have [strong heal as well as supports while doing really good damg (Firebrand)] and [one of the strongest burst melee in the game (Dragon Hunter)], solo can be tricky but challenging and fun

- Necro is just being necro, involving minions, life steal, [satisfied melee damage (Reaper)], [strong allies support with barrier, destructive condition damage (Scourge)], because it's necro we're talking about so being strong in solo play is a given.

- Rev is a mixture between war and thief  and can be hard to play at first but rev can do both power and condition build, also they provide really strong supports in group  and along with guard rev is one of the most demanded class in group. That doesn't mean it's weak in solo, you'll be surprised Rev is also one of the top strongest solo class right now (may be above necro depend on your playstyle).

Edited by Eros.6801
  • Like 2

I think the best thing to do is just try it and see how you get on. You already own the game and there's no subscription so there's no cost to log in and play and see what you think.

I definitely think it's worth starting a new character. Keep the one you've got because you might want to go back to them and they'll get a lot of birthday gifts which have some nice items in them. They also might have equipment you want to keep, even if you end up transferring it to another character.

But starting fresh with a new character will make it easier to re-learn the game and get used to how things work now (there's been a lot of updates), then you can make an informed decision about what to do with your old character later on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of stuff has been added. I played from release until end 2013. (When season 1 of living world was still active.) Returned June 2019.

Was a fun experience to play through the older stuff from S2 onwards  - in release order. (Tried to enjoy HoT maps with glider only as they were meant to be played - at least for the first char I used. Took some time but I played a lot.)

Might be different if you only want ot focus on PvP - just the new elite specs there and to learn them. (Personally I used PvP/WvW only to relax from PvE grind if I am finished with most stuff there. Prefer PvP. They seem mostly the same as back then - PvP and WvW. Except a few  minor changes, the new elite specs and the WvW mount and the usual balance changes ... basically everything the same old stuff.)

And yes: Game is alive. A new expansion will be releasd soon. After that possibly more story content. Sadly PvP and WvW not that many changes to be expected. The focus is on PvE. (Unless some surprising stuff happens ... in GW1 the Canthan stuff was PvP focused afaik. Did not play GW1 a lot back then.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

23 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Be aware:  You can not play Revenant until you purchase Path of Fire (which includes Heart of Thorn) and/or End of Dragons (soon to be released).

Same goes for all Elite Specializations and all Living World Season Episodes prior to The Icebrood Saga's Episode 'Champions'.

Welcome return, and good luck!

Ah good to know. I don thave the expansions, so no Revenant for me (yet)

There's maybe one problem for you though, the pvp part of the game has been more or less completely neglected. Yes there is a new profession and new elite specs with expansions and some trait reworks but the spvp is pretty much the same and wvw is not far behind in lack of updates.

This game has turned our mostly pve, which is a shame, because it had good potential in the pvp part. 

On 1/5/2022 at 10:43 AM, Baelrog.1703 said:

Thanks a bunch, ill read into the new expansion. Didnt know about that ! Currently looking into a necromancer or guardian class to casuallly play.

May I interest you in Firebrand for PvE? It's a very good option for dps or support. 

Scourge for Necromancer is very good in every mode, from PvE (raids, fractals), through (PvP) and WvW (in zerg).