Damage seems a bit too high in PvP?

Knoxxius.1524

On 1/20/2022 at 12:29 AM, Spellhunter.9675 said:

That's true. But original combat had no 5 sec cd skills with 5-8k damage. Original combat had no boon spam. Original combat system has no billion multiplicative damage modifiers. Original combat required team effort to win fights or outsmarting opponents.

- "But original combat had no 5 sec cd skills with 5-8k damage."  True apart from fa ele, glass mesmer, heartseeker spam thief, and rifle engineer's blunderbuss. The thing is,  a lot of the original mechanics used to favor reserved play, which dampened the combat flow. Thieves had to reserve imitative to maintain a max damage buff, reserving warriors' adrenalin made them semi tankish, quickness utilities like haste and frenzy negated endurance regen, and  confusion and torment only dealt damage if the player was either moving or using skills respectively.

- "Original combat had no boon spam." I agree there for the most part, while there was perma boons each class could maintain only a specific set instead a whole array.

- "Original combat system has no billion multiplicative damage modifiers." I guess, but that was offset due to higher damage coefficients. Where it really gone out of whack is when the claim for HoT's elite specs being designed to be "side-grades not upgrades" turned out to be a complete lie.

Edit: Also the rework of the traitline system allowed players to have glass cannon damage without being actual glass cannons.

Edited by cyberzombie.7348

i'm afraid 90% of community doesn't share the same feeling.

IMO last time we got something i felt was doint to much dmg was when nade holo first came out.

Now you have some gimmick stuff like FA weaver, 1 shot  mesmers, there's a new build scrapper build, the best of those potential 1 shot builds is DH.

you maybe just playing a super squishy build that you havent mastered

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 1/15/2022 at 6:18 PM, Knoxxius.1524 said:

I get it, low damage is boring it lays the foundation for a bunker meta. But come on, this current meta is absolutely not fun to play? You got builds that can pretty much instakill with any kind of basic Communications?   Can we not get something inbetween?

I played A LOT of PVP back when the game released and LOVED it, it was not perfect, but it was certainly muuuuch better than what the game was devolved into? It seems with all the new things added the game has suffered from power creep to me? 

Am I just out of touch? Because I am not having as much fun at all as I were back then, it doesn't feel like its much about skill but more about pumping big numbers? Is it to cater to the PVE folks? 

Whether they were aware of it or not, both the playerbase and development teams collectively identified a few elements which operated outside of GW2's established framework at launch:  in PvP, these two main elements were D/D Elementalist and Thief.  D/D Ele effectively levied every lucrative action in the game with no real drawback or shortcoming; it had more buttons to press, and therefore had more fuel in the tank than any other class when it came to sustaining combat.  Thief could repeatedly activate certain skills (no weapon cooldowns), teleport on demand, had access to perfect invisibility on demand, and often evaded or blinded targets while attacking.  For a good year or so, these were the only classes that consistently sat in this "beyond the meta" tier above the rest of the classes.

When GW2 launched, the game's PvP damage thresholds were scaled in a way which made some (I stress "some") sense if we excluded D/D Ele and Thief, but because those classes consistently outran the average player's DPS (either via passive healing, outright damage negation, or teleports), a series of decisions ended up buffing the rest of the classes to effectively mimic the "beyond the meta" builds.  The mindless powercreep that occured from 2013-2015 worked to mimic D/D Ele and Thief.  The advent of elite specializations mostly sealed the way back from this paradigm, and a slew of direct upgrades quickly solidified the final metagame:  a patch-note card shuffle of classes which all ran the same 1-2 builds (either a shade of D/D Ele or Thief).

For instance, Revenant has always basically just been Thief with Defiant Stance.  Druid became the new D/D Ele by virtue of being an offensive attacker who had a free heal stance.  Tempest is just a better D/D Ele while Weaver is a straight up clone of 2014 Thief.  Chrono was strong explicitly because it had a "cooldown reset" button (which plays to Thief's strength in how it could repeat cycles of attacks or skills), which is why, in PvP, it's often just a "double burst rotation" core mesmer with a CC elite.  More comparisons could be made, but the point is that classes never gained any sort of role or individuality over time, but rather saw themselves all compressed into one or two "roles."

As it stands, if your build doesn't have teleports or protracted damage-negation, then it levies an OBSCENE amount of damage (ideally while also negating damage just long enough to finish off a target).  It's still the D/D Ele and Thief meta.  Unfortunately, the GW2 playerbase associates conforming to a super shallow gameplay paradigm as skillful, hence all of the mudslinging equating to "git gud" or "learn2dodge" rather than anything constructive or true.

Edited by Swagg.9236
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 1/25/2022 at 7:00 AM, Bazsi.2734 said:

Oh this. The 4 cele ele +1 decapper thief meta. Holy ***** it was so boring. Worst GW2-s pvp has ever been. Even the brief HoT bunker period was more diverse and dynamic than this.

Why do people keep remembering this as a good thing. It was anything but.

Making everything do obscene amounts of damage is not a healthy fix for that. Proper balancing is. There's a reason PvP struggles, is the fact that it just plain sucks right now. Damage is too high and the skill ceiling isn't as high as you all want to make yourself believe. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

• 2 years later...

MMOs are typically designed with average ping in mind, not FPS/MOBA levels of reflex (FFXIV, ESO and so on do account reasonably well for ping differences), but GW2 has a bit more action oriented gameplay even in PvE, with PvP being pretty geared towards fast paced action. It wasn't like that in the start but as soon as elite specs came out people learned they could bunker their way into eternal matchups and no one was happy about it. That's how we ended up in the extreme opposite and it's important to know that imo, since it means we will likely not dial back to that direction anytime soon. Even if we reduce the damage it's still going to remain more action oriented that other MMOs with active defenses being and passive on-hit traits being the way to go.

• Confused 1